FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:08 am

Carver Car Receiver?

<<

crazygreekangelo

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:20 pm

Carver Car Receiver?

Did Carver ever make a car audio reciever, much like McIntosh does (http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=2&id=33&cat=Control+Centers+%26+CD+Changers&prodid=1077&product=MX406)? If so, what were its specs?
<<

Rick Price

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:58 pm

Carver Receiver

Yes, ostensibly they did. It's listed (and looks damned impressive) in the classic era sales lit booklet. I've never seen one in person though.

It had a number of unique features. The coolest one to me was that it received Shortwave.

Gotta love that Bob......

I hope it made it into production. I always assumed it did but figured it was squashed by the Japanese megacorporations. (In fact, it might've been OEM'd by one of them...who knows?)

What a mind that guy has.

BTW, My M-240 amp (the last of my classic era gear) is on Ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I've had to have some Diabetes maintenance surgery done recently.

Also, SPECIAL thanks to DAVE for the offgroup info regarding my Amazing's woofers. (I had him confused with Bob Pettis, from whom I'd purchased a set of ribbons back during the Carver's outchorus. Major Short circuited synapse. Sorry Dave....) The ribbons are fine now. Took a BUNCH of solder on those crossovers to make 'em right though.
<<

crazygreekangelo

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:10 am

That looks like a great amp!

I was doing some more research, and apparently the THX certified BMW Z4 Roadster incorporates Carver speaker and audio technologies!

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsID/2060330.005/country/gcf/bmw/bmw-z4-thx-certified

It's too bad the article gives more credit to the THX engineers than to Carver Corp for the actual speaker technology.
<<

Rick Price

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:18 am

Carver Car Receivers

Wow! Thanks for that info! I'm glad to know that Carver is still being regarded (if only technologically) as cutting edge. I think Carver's car gear was very good with well above average refinement of sound. That 240 (as pointed out elsewhere here) isn't an SPL Sub amp, but it makes an excellent mid/high's amp, I think. There appear to be any number of Class D knuckledragger amps out there for cardiovascular shock inducing SPL levels.

Do I have the ability to upload a scan? Let me see if I can figure it out...

Cheers!
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:17 pm

Is the TX-9 what you're talking about? I just bought one NIB. I have also purchased am M-2090 an, M-2080, an M-2020 with the XA-22 Bass Processor and a TA-25 Car crossover. The TX-9 is a cassette tuner that has inputs for CD and some other stuff. I'm buiding an all Carver 'old skool' car systrem for the Durago. I've enen managed to find a Carver DarkStar sub woofer that I might use in there also, but it was meant as a companion piece to the Lightstar line. Although I have several other subs in the garage, I think it might be very cool in the Durango.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Rick Price

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:42 pm

Carver Car Receiver

I believe it is! I always wanted one! NIB? Very cool...... Congratulations!

Does it have SW? (NOT subwoofer...) Hit us back with the particulars when it's in!

Rick
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:19 pm

Re: Carver Receiver

Rick Price wrote:Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I've had to have some Diabetes maintenance surgery done recently.

Prayers sent. BTW, I'm enjoying this conversation....carry on.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:32 pm

I just received an email from the seller of the Carver M2090i I've acquired. He's offering a mobile cross-over unit that has Sonic Holography and Deep Bass Retreival on a remote plus all manuals and such included. Wants $200.

Whatdoyouallthink?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:42 pm

I've now got the Carver TX-9, 2 XA-25 crossovers, 2 M-2080 power amps, 1 M-2090 power amp an M-2020 power amp a Carver 6-way crossover with Sonic Holography and Bass Restoration built-in to it. I plan to run the Sunfire sub in there also. I have alot of DBX encoded tapes so I gound an AudioControl Graph that gives me back fader control after the 2-channel DBX so I have noise reduction on all channels.

Waiting for the ribbon tweets from PartsExpress.

Boy, this got complicated.

ray
Magnaryder

<<

londonbarn

Cyber Hell Member

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:10 pm

Sounds pretty damn awesome....I just bought a mint M4050i from a guy for $50.......sometimes we all get lucky!

Return to Carver Car Audio