Cassettes Analog not vinyl though

Vinyl Discussion
speakerman1
Newbie 50+

Cassettes Analog not vinyl though

Post by speakerman1 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:50 am

Hi
We are developing 2 new cassettes. Chrome and Metal. These aren't NOS. They will be prices less than the NOS on ebay. They will be notched and everything. We are in the eprimental stage right now. We have done some testing with good reports. The only problem we had was the shells. We hope we have that problem fixed. We are getting our shells from the states.
I do have one question. What would you pay for a new Chrome or Metal cassette.
Thanks
Larry

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Re: Cassettes Analog not vinyl though

Post by OconeeOrange » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:32 pm

Is this a joke post?

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:52 pm

speakerman1 wrote:Hi
We are developing 2 new cassettes. Chrome and Metal. These aren't NOS. They will be prices less than the NOS on ebay. They will be notched and everything. We are in the eprimental stage right now. We have done some testing with good reports. The only problem we had was the shells. We hope we have that problem fixed. We are getting our shells from the states.
I do have one question. What would you pay for a new Chrome or Metal cassette.
Thanks
Larry
I think I got 1 Metal tape set left nos in the pack.....I have no idea what a price would be except mine has $6.49 on it for a 2 pack of Maxell 90. :-k
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:14 pm

I have 4 or 5 metal tapes left. I haven't checked recently. Can't you still buy cassette tape? I thought you could the last time I looked.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

weitrhino
SILVER-7t

Post by weitrhino » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:56 pm

eBay is loaded with blank tape auctions.

speakerman1
Newbie 50+

Post by speakerman1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:41 am

Why would this post be a joke? A metal goes from 15.99 to 60.00 a piece. The format isn't dead. I just sold 400 last week of Type II in a group buy. I sell a couple100.00 every month. So we decided to develope some tapes that are more affordable. Look at the price of a Nak dragon. If you think it is dead it isn't. The cassette has the warmth of the analog. I record almost all my CDs to either cassette or R2R. It isn't a joke.
Thanks
Larry

speakerman1
Newbie 50+

Post by speakerman1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:08 pm

Well we are going into our second year. We have been reviewed in two audio mags. We are selling world wide. I'm not getting rich. I have expanded to doing custom tapes for Indie Labels. Testing another chrome tape. So we are going pretty good for a start up. I have sold all together 3000 tapes. I have bought 2 loaders and a cassette printer and 1000s of shells and tape.

Larry

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:22 pm

What's cool about cassettes (IMO) is that the fuckers seem to last forever. I can pop a mix tape that I made 30 years ago into my deck and it sounds just as good as when I recorded it. Can't say that about CD's: they get scratched, broken, dirty beyond cleaning (faded, etc.) or they peel and rarely last that long (and tend to "skip" or "blur" after a while for whatever reason).

You probably came to the right place, speakerman! Lot's of old "dinosaurs" here that like the old technology (tubes, e.g.)... :lol:
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

stereo_buff
TFM-55

Post by stereo_buff » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:32 pm

elgrau wrote:What's cool about cassettes (IMO) is that the fuckers seem to last forever. I can pop a mix tape that I made 30 years ago into my deck and it sounds just as good as when I recorded it. Can't say that about CD's: they get scratched, broken, dirty beyond cleaning (faded, etc.) or they peel and rarely last that long (and tend to "skip" or "blur" after a while for whatever reason).

You probably came to the right place, speakerman! Lot's of old "dinosaurs" here that like the old technology (tubes, e.g.)... :lol:
What's REALLY COOL is that you can pick up good working Nakamichi cassette decks at thrift stores for under 6 bucks (I've done so twice) and pre-recorded cassettes (lots of classic rock and/or jazz) for a dime - it makes a great, cheap music source for the garage!

speakerman1
Newbie 50+

Post by speakerman1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:43 pm

I have 1 Nak 3 Tascam 302s and 7 Yamahas. The yamahas give more bang for the buck. I do like my Nak. The Tascams are to dub tapes for the Indie labels.

Larry

speakerman1
Newbie 50+

Post by speakerman1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:46 pm

BillD wrote:I have 4 or 5 metal tapes left. I haven't checked recently. Can't you still buy cassette tape? I thought you could the last time I looked.

Not really in the store. You can get some not so good Type Is. I'm the only company in the world making metal tapes.

Larry

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:55 pm

Can't say that about CD's: they get scratched, broken, dirty beyond cleaning (faded, etc.) or they peel and rarely last that long (and tend to "skip" or "blur" after a while for whatever reason).
Must be the way you treat them. I've never had any of those issues with mine.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Make America Great Again

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Point being that I treat mine both the same (tapes and CD's): tapes can take it; CD's cannot!
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:33 pm

elgrau wrote:Point being that I treat mine both the same (tapes and CD's): tapes can take it; CD's cannot!
Me too Ed. I buy stuff and use it up. I don't get all gay about it.

To that end, CDs are less trouble to make than Cassettes, and you can burn several as they are very cheap by comparison.

I believe the cassettes this guy is selling are nothing like the junk I am used to though. Can you burn metal tapes with any cassette recorder? I still have a good one. Maybe I need some metal cassettes. Where do you buy them? Will they play in my 1995 truck, don't have CD there and play old cassettes.

I think the Mini Disc was the best of both worlds.
Easy to work with, great sound, and hard to damage. Unfortunately, only me and a few guys in Japan felt that way - :lol: :lol:

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:38 pm

So basically, you two live like pigs. Yeah, we got that.

Meanwhile, I'll be laughing on my way to the bank. For example, if I sold my Mastersound copy of WYWH that I bought many years ago for about $20.00, it would pull $200+ today with no problem. The same CD in your hands would fetch nada. :lol: :lol: :lol:

speakerman1, apologies for the derail. I think what you are doing is way cool and wish you all the best with your business venture.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Make America Great Again

Return to “Vinyl”