Converting vinyl to digital

Digital / WiFi / iPod Media Discussion
Harryfan

Converting vinyl to digital

Post by Harryfan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:17 pm

I want to rip some of my more obscure vinyl to digital WAV files for editing, cd burning, etc. Any suggestions on how to get the best quality transfer? My TGP-5 has an S/PDIF digital coax out. Is there any way to connect this directly to my PC through, say, a USB port?

I’ve seen inexpensive devices out there that would work, like the ART USB Phono Plus, but I wonder about the sound quality. A phono stage and ADC in one unit for under a hundred bucks?

I did some recording several years ago, connecting the line outs of my preamp to the line in on the PC. It worked fine, but the CDs I made seemed kinda harsh. I’ve heard a lot of these sound cards don’t have a very good ADC.

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Converting vinyl to digital

Post by OBI56 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:26 pm

The DACs on most sound cards are not worth a crap but are more than adequate for standard compressed MP3s. If you want a better sound quality, an external USB DAC like the one you mention is a FAR better solution as long as you use a lossless format. There are better external DACs than the ART but at a considerable cost increase (into the 4 figure range and up), so the ACT might be a good first step into the world of external DACS that you could upgrade if ever you wanted to. My son went this route a few weeks ago when he finally acknowledged that his MP3s on his iPod sounded like absolute crap on his "new' Carver sound system.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5808&p=58579&hilit=dac#p58579
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:41 pm

It all depends on your sound card. You can go external with a USB DAC. I have THIS one. I hooked up my turntable to my preamp and it to the DAC. DAC into my PC USB port. You'll want some software to make it all run, and Spin It Again is quick and dirty. PM coming
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Harryfan

Post by Harryfan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:16 pm

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll probably need a little time to take this in. I take it S/PDIF directly to PC is not an option.

Truth is, I'll probably leave it all in WAV format. I'm just looking at 10-15 hours of material, so space isn't really an issue. I used an older version of Acoustica when I did this before, and was pretty impressed. Looks like it may have come a long way since then, tho. Thanks again.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:31 pm

Harryfan — if you have a really good sound card, I'd take the preamp out directly into it in analog. I was surprised that the new laptop I bought for my wife has 24-bit 192kHz A/D and D/A converter chips. It's an nVIDIA card (our own jvandyke_tx holds a number of patents with them). So, you shouldn't rule out an installed sound card if it's a good one. The company (E-MU) that makes the USB 0202 was bought recently by Creative (the maker of the well known Sound Blaster cards). Their Audigy 4 cards I hear are quite good.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:55 pm

Can I ask a stupid question.......

What are you trying to rip? I have a couple places I can search that have just about everything already ripped in FLAC foramt.
You may not need to do all this work, just download it.

Harryfan

Post by Harryfan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:31 am

Heh, was kind of hoping nobody would ask. Most of it's related to my Harry obsession. A lot of singles on tiny labels from the early/mid/late-60s. Seems unlikely to be found.

You may be right about some of it, though. There were three Nilsson albums released on quadradiscs with some very different mixes, Nilsson Schmilsson, Pussy Cats, and Sandman. Another cover album called Nilsson by Tipton. I also have a late-60s album called The Plastic Cow Goes Moooog (sp?) I was planning to rip. If you can find any of those, you might save me some time.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:40 am

Every one but the (8) albums are Lossless formats...
Total is about 3-4GB download Looks like most of it's already done.

Nilsson *Schmilsson* (MFSL UDCD 541)

Harry Nilsson-A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night(Remastered & Expanded)

Harry Nilsson-Son Of Schmilsson(RCA Legacy remastered)

Harry Nilsson-Nilsson Schmilsson(BMG Heritage Edition)

Harry Nilsson - Eight Albums
The following albums are included:

The Point
The Son of Schmilsson
Pandemonium Shadow Show
Aerial Ballet
Aerial Pandemonium Ballet
A Little Touch of Schmillson
Harry
Nilsson Sings Newman

Harry Nilsson - Sandman (1975) QUAD to DTS

HARRY NILSSON NILSSON SCHMILSSON QUAD TO DTS

(( George Tipton - Nilsson by Tipton ))

Harry Nilsson-Pussy Cats

The Walkmen - ''Pussy Cats'' Starring The Walkmen [2006, EAC Flac]

Harry Nilsson - Pussy Cats (1974) QUAD DTS

Harryfan

Post by Harryfan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:48 am

Quad TO DTS? No sh*t? Damn, I need to get out of my cave more often. Thanks, Toy Maker. I'll be looking into this.

Glad I finally started talking to youse guys.

aharitt
Newbie 50+

Post by aharitt » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:26 pm

Toy Maker wrote:Every one but the (8) albums are Lossless formats...
Total is about 3-4GB download Looks like most of it's already done.
Nice !! Where did you get the files? Do they have classical musics also? My EMU module will arrive today, but if I can get the files in lossless format, I wouldn't do the work by myself :(

Return to “Digital / WiFi / iPod”