True master recording quality download format at 96KHZ!

Digital / WiFi / iPod Media Discussion
Rainman
SILVER-7t

True master recording quality download format at 96KHZ!

Post by Rainman » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:27 am

http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-formats.aspx

Take a look at this link. It covers many of the download formats, qualities, and speeds that are currently in use. The last format appears to be a true master recording studio quality format that downloads at a blazing speed of 88.2 KHZ up to 96 KHZ! As you will read in the article unfortunately Microsoft/Windows does not and can not support this format.
Apparently there are many different ideas on what a studio quality download or rip actually is..

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Re: True master recording quality download format at 96KHZ!

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:43 am

I play FLAC files on my PC in Winamp all the time. I never liked Windows Media Player anyway.
You CAN download FLAC codes so you can play thme on your PC.... I dono what they are talking about...
and what's a DSD file ??

"Studio Master FLAC

If absolute sound quality is what you want then this file is best for you.

FLAC files are lossless at various high bit rates, for example, 48KHz, 88.2KHz and 96KHz (check each title for actual details). The quality is identical to that of an SACD (Stereo only). The format will be dependent on the actual recording method we used originally. No DSD files are offered as it is not possible to play them back on a PC so an equivalent PCM format is offered. These files offer true "studio quality" and are what was used by Linn to produce the production version of our CD releases. Be sure to check compatibility with your computer sound card etc before you download a file and note that large amounts of storage space are required for each track.

FLAC files can be imported into many media players, such as the Linn DS digital stream player, but unfortunately Microsoft does not yet support high bit-rate FLAC, so these files will not play in Windows Media Player. There are many other FLAC players available such as Media Monkey and Foobar.

Rainman
SILVER-7t

Post by Rainman » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:35 am

Don't you go to hell if you play Pink Floyd The Wall through Windows media player? There's something just not right with using the words true classic music and windows media player in the same paragraph!
It's like wearing socks in the shower!You just don't do it.

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power

weitrhino
SILVER-7t

Post by weitrhino » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:09 am

Yeah! Like a staircase in an outhouse, --you just don't do it! [-X

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:23 pm

I'm all about bending the rules.... and once in a while they snap right in half...

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:01 pm

Toy Maker wrote: and what's a DSD file ??
DSD is Direct Stream Digital if I remember right. Or in other words, it's the format of SACD. Now that'd be a big file!!! Plus you can't burn them of course.

Sony's keeping DSD so close to it's vest, that it's about killed it!
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Return to “Digital / WiFi / iPod”