No redemption on the Carversite

The 1st rule of Fight Club is... you don't talk about Fight Club !
gdb
SILVER-7t

Re: No redemption on the Carversite

Post by gdb » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:42 pm

Maybe http://www.yetanotherforum.net/ would appreciate a heads-up on the running (into the ground) of Richie's Empire. :-k

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Bob P

The use of Rich's ph for f is a natural. I think my use of that little dig was as much as anything what set him off on the 13th. "Phlakey phucking phorum" was the exact phrase. See the end of the very first post in the thread they extracted to get it all away from the Carverfest thread. See it, that is, if you can get to the site and if it's still up there, under the name "Policy discussion", a bullshit euphemism if ever there was one.

Ironially, that post was never supposed to be made public - I wrote it as a PM, but thanks to his silly rules about PMs I had no other way to convey it to SteveK.

Hoist on his own retard.

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

gdb
SILVER-7t

Post by gdb » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:23 pm

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Post by frankieD » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:54 pm

You know, I've been getting pretty tired of this thread. I posted either go there or not & forget it.

I have been a member over there for quite a while but rarely go there because it is hard to read & BORING !

After all this posting I decided to check it out and I could not login. ??? So I tried to visit as a guest. It took me to a page with a shitload of rules & procedures. That didn't used to be there. This guy Rich is clearly losing it and frankly I don't see why anyone would put up with that shit.

I certainly won't.

My additional .02.

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:12 pm

Hi Frankie - good to see you've mellowed in your dotage. :lol:

After RP fucks someone over, whoever it is seems to find this thread a lot less tiring.

It's reached the state of genocide over there. You are out because you post here more than there, I'd assume. So you are a poor investment. Don't feel bad - there is less to see there every day.

Robert R
Last edited by Robert R on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bob p
SILVER-7t

Post by bob p » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:20 pm

MinesOfMoria wrote:
Gene C wrote:
Ahha! Greetings from one Scottish clan to another. Clan Cameron of Lochiel "AONAIBH.RI.CHEILE"
I think I can lay claim to two or three Scottish clans, actually. Never done a lot of the research to find it out...
It's not a coincidence, then that you're in Scottsdale?
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.

tkd.teacher
Newbie 50+

Post by tkd.teacher » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:27 pm

bob p wrote:
MinesOfMoria wrote:
Gene C wrote:
Ahha! Greetings from one Scottish clan to another. Clan Cameron of Lochiel "AONAIBH.RI.CHEILE"
I think I can lay claim to two or three Scottish clans, actually. Never done a lot of the research to find it out...
It's not a coincidence, then that you're in Scottsdale?
Close, but no cigar. Try the IP from this post.

bob p
SILVER-7t

Post by bob p » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:34 pm

> Richie's attempt to ferret out a troublemaker

well, those links tell us that he's using AWStats. I guess that he's not willing to pay for a commercial log analysis program, so he's relying upon a free-as-in-beer log analyzer. I used to run AWStats. It's good as far as free software goes, but it isn't the right tool for the job he's trying to perform. He is also asking questions about querying the users database and he's having to hear the answer multiple times and he doesn't seem to be catching on.

I guess he's not anywhere near close to being the IT wizard that we've been giving him credit for, but those posts do show that he is trying to do exactly what we've been talking about, but that he's failing because he doesn't really know what he is doing.

You'd think that the guy would be smart enough to use a different username on a different public site so we can't all watch what he's doing.

tkd.teacher
Newbie 50+

Post by tkd.teacher » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:37 pm

bob p wrote:How it's done depends on the platform. As an example, there are lots of IE browsers out there that have ActiveX enabled. Using pure JavaScript and ActiveX one can pull the clients MAC address using the Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration WMI.
I'll have to do some digging, the last I checked you still needed to grant permission. I do grant, however, that it's been a long time since I was a pure programmer and hosted my own site.

DavidR

Post by DavidR » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:10 am

Copied and pasted from CS this morning 8:53am EST

<begin>
#14 Posted: 15 min ago

snow

Medals:

Groups: Insider

martin1970;153486 wrote:

It seems that some of you think that I've posted these two threads just to create more trouble. That simply isn't the case. I posted these threads in hope of seeing some kind of resolution.

There is obviously a massive amount of discontent among people that simply aren't in this to hurt this site or anyone in it.

There is also lots of other discontent that has no place here.

I am trying to address the former.

It is utterly clear to me that it's not as simple as 'some guys walking off'
I don't think it's fair to characterize the departure of some of these folks that way.

At some point, most of us have lost our cool with family walked out of a door and slammed it behind us.
However, our loved ones knew enough not to lock it when we did.
Here, it seems, the door got locked and those that stormed off no longer felt loved after they cooled off and tried the door.
If we care about these people, our adopted family, we need to understand that AND we need to provide for that going forward.
In fact, it might be better to look back and unlock a few doors. Perhaps our estranged family members will eventually find their way back home.

It is imperative that whomever it is that makes the decisions in these critical moments either:
1) makes the right choice. or
2) does nothing and waits until all parties cool down.

I think the second option is the better of the two.

I posted this in the members section because that's what this is all about.

Something else just came to mind. It's been said that many asked to have their accounts deleted. Then, subsequently, their posts and account information was(were?) deleted. I don't think that members should have the option to make that decision. In fact, no one should, Rich included. Once you post here, that post should then be part of this site. Period.

For example: If RodH helped Joe Blow solve his amp troubles three years ago, that thread should stay there for the next person who looks it up. And it should remain as it was. Member name and all intact.

<<begin snow>>
I don't believe you are posting this to cause problems Martin, I just think you are fighting a battle that does not exsist.

1.No one has closed the door to the best of my knowledge on the members you are posting about, they are welcome back at any time.

2.I don't think anyones posts have been deleted nor will they be.

3..The only people that I know of that are not welcome back here are in the Sandbox area, Gary isn't there Rod H isn't there Steve Ford isn't there check for yourself. All of these folks left for one reason or another but none were to the best of my knowledge forced out or not welcome back.

REGARDS SNOW
>end<

NUMBER 2 is PURE #2 Snow.
I've had about 2000 posts deleted. Posts reworded/edited (believe this might be infringing on my 1st amendment right). All I did was leave on my own. I never said anything bad about anyone on the site. I do, however, have 2 Russ Kall modded amps - and they sound and perform fine.

As to NUMBER 3.
I am unable to login using the password I have/had in place. I am unable to register as another user. I have a new IP addy and a new laptop since the last time I logged in. Many are not welcome.

The Rich/Russ issue is like two stubborn kids playing over their toys.
Family Room (HT): Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, Rotel RC-1082, Rotel RT-1080, SpeakerCraft CS3, Bose 901 series II, Sony CDP-C325
Office equipment: Emotiva SA-250, Audio Research Reference Two Preamp, Carver TX-11b, Acoustic Research AR90s, Grant Fidelity CD327A, Sansui SR-717 w/ Shure M97xE, Sony HX-PRO TC-WE635, Behringer UFO202, Asus U47A
Son's system: Carver M500t MkII, BillD modified C-1, TX-11a, AR TSW610s, Teac DS-H01 universal docking station: iPod, iTouch
Idle Gear: Carver M-1.0t MkII Opt002, MXR150, Bose 901 series VI, AR91s for restoration

tkd.teacher
Newbie 50+

Post by tkd.teacher » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:41 am

MinesOfMoria wrote:
bob p wrote:How it's done depends on the platform. As an example, there are lots of IE browsers out there that have ActiveX enabled. Using pure JavaScript and ActiveX one can pull the clients MAC address using the Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration WMI.
I'll have to do some digging, the last I checked you still needed to grant permission. I do grant, however, that it's been a long time since I was a pure programmer and hosted my own site.
Everything that I can find confirms that you have to be running that script on the client's machine, it can't be done server side. Which means the user has to grant permission for that to happen, or they have to go into the configuration settings to override and allow all ActiveX.

However, I did find a google groups post oddly similar to yours above:
Using pure JavaScript and ActiveX we can pull the clients MAC address using the Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration WMI
Again, though, every time that query happens a popup appears prompting the user to allow the ActiveX control. Just because it is installed doesn't mean it will run willy nilly unless the user sets it to do so.

bob p
SILVER-7t

Post by bob p » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:20 pm

I don't think this is an applicable problem to worry about any more -- now that we've learned about RichP714's lack of sophistication via some of his requests for help on the board software administrator forum, it's become evident that he isn't half the IT wizard that I gave him credit for being. I don't think he's aware of the technology to do this sort of thing, and I certainly don't think he has the chops to implement it. That makes this whole thing academic.

nooshinjohn
SILVER-7t

Post by nooshinjohn » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 pm

Kinda think the flies have consumed the carcass of this dead horse already. Nothing is going to fix that site by bitching about it more in this one... Don't get me wrong, as I an as pissed now by what went down there, but what good is it doing to keep dragging this dead horse back from just leaving in behind.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, Triangle Art Reference SE prototype, with Walker Precision speed controller and Origin Conqueror tonearm and Dynaudio 20x2, Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Oppo BDP-93

trav0810
el douché
el douché

Post by trav0810 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:18 pm

nooshinjohn wrote:but what good is it doing to keep dragging this dead horse back from just leaving in behind.
Because it brings joy to so many! :D

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:38 am

There is ample precedent for the efficacy of not dropping grievances against misused power. In the early 1770s, e.g, a bunch of Bostonian colonists railed on about taxation and tyranny. Their Tory friends suggested they forget it - cool off and live with it.
But they didn't.

This forum business is on quite a less lofty level, but the principle is much the same.

Robert R

BTW, efficacy is defined as "Power or capacity to produce a desired effect." It comes from the same Latin word as efficient.

Return to “Fight Club”