elgrau, your PC challenge is here.

The 1st rule of Fight Club is... you don't talk about Fight Club !
FesteLV
TFM-75

Re: elgrau, your PC challenge is here.

Post by FesteLV » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:05 pm

Jag_97470 wrote:Sooo, Send me the fucking power cable to try! I will plug it in and test it with my own Golden EARS! and when you want my conclusion? I will say; fuck if I know, but thanks for the power cord!
sorry, I'm just trying to fit in.
hehe
[-X [-X :lol: :lol: [-X [-X :lol: :lol: :D
Feste
Las Vegas

C-4000t, TX-11a, Silver 9t(2), M-1.0t(2), SD/A 490t, Apogee Calipers

DaveS
The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post by DaveS » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:17 pm

Steve,
I`m going to run two sets of new wires to at least 2 sets of 4 new wall sockets to run my new amps from the breaker panel. What would you suggest?
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry

stevewithrow
SILVER-7t

Post by stevewithrow » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:37 pm

DaveS wrote:Steve,
I`m going to run two sets of new wires to at least 2 sets of 4 new wall sockets to run my new amps from the breaker panel. What would you suggest?
Romex im sure , I would use 12/2(Rated at 25 amps) ( 2 runs )( 1 run for 4 outlets and the other for the other 4 ) ( one hot , one ground , one nuetral each run ) , 2 single pole 20 amp breakers...if you start using any thing bigger ( # 10 wire for 30 amps ) you start running into twist locks for the outlet . Hope this helps , if not PM me..!!! It would be ideal if you could run seperate grounds and nuets for each outlet...!!!!

DaveS
The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post by DaveS » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:26 am

I don`t know what twist locks are but thank you, I like the 25 amp idea. I think the bigger the better.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry

gdb
SILVER-7t

Post by gdb » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:37 am

Hey Dave, you might want to think about 12/2 "MC" or "BX" cable, it's the stuff that's got a spiral metal casing on the outside. It's a little harder to pull or fish through stuff but it's a continuous fully grounded shield from panel to recep/box and mice can't chew your wires either!! Link to pics below. :)

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q ... ages&gbv=2

stevewithrow
SILVER-7t

Post by stevewithrow » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:23 am

gdb wrote:Hey Dave, you might want to think about 12/2 "MC" or "BX" cable, it's the stuff that's got a spiral metal casing on the outside. It's a little harder to pull or fish through stuff but it's a continuous fully grounded shield from panel to recep/box and mice can't chew your wires either!! Link to pics below. :)

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q ... ages&gbv=2
You are right gdb , but usually plastic box,s ( cant ground em ) are used in a residential application , so in the long run you would be throwing money down the drain . Its great for commercial stuff . But if you do have mice running through the walls...? GET IT ...!!!!

gdb
SILVER-7t

Post by gdb » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:53 am

I DID !! Everything in my OLD farmhouse is in MC, or the bigger stuff I pulled thru (Greenfield ?) and all boxes are steel . Fuc(ing rodents had a ball with the old fiber wrapped cable (before modern Romex), it's unsettling to see bare copper in an attic!! :x Even if there's a plastic box the metal sheathing would be grounded by the connector and panel box, those goofy plastic box clamps don't hold romex worth a shit anyway. Most electricians I've worked around snap them off, Oh yeah, I haven't had an inspection done since I had a "heavy up" done by a lic. electrician. That old 12/2 & 14/2 had teenie tiny ground wires too, about 18ga, good riddance!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

stevewithrow
SILVER-7t

Post by stevewithrow » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:22 am

gdb wrote:I DID !! Everything in my OLD farmhouse is in MC, or the bigger stuff I pulled thru (Greenfield ?) and all boxes are steel . Fuc(ing rodents had a ball with the old fiber wrapped cable (before modern Romex), it's unsettling to see bare copper in an attic!! :x Even if there's a plastic box the metal sheathing would be grounded by the connector and panel box, those goofy plastic box clamps don't hold romex worth a shit anyway. Most electricians I've worked around snap them off, Oh yeah, I haven't had an inspection done since I had a "heavy up" done by a lic. electrician. That old 12/2 & 14/2 had teenie tiny ground wires too, about 18ga, good riddance!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Thats awesome !!!! (not the rodents ) the MC with metal box,s . If I ever have a house built I will hard pipe every thing I can . !!!!!! Then just pull the wire though . Lic, electricians are the best !!!!!! It seams like I am in class every other week !!! . Per code in normal circumstances you just down size the ground 1 size . So if you hot is # 14 then the ground can be a # 16 .

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi stevewithrow,
Just FYI, I have argued on the side that says $800 PC's are NOT worth it (IMO; but reserving judgement re the "blind test") , just to let you know. Your 1st post seems to imply the opposite. I'm sure you've read this thread?: "New PS Audio Xtreme Speaker Cables" (which is about power cords; not speaker cables).
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

stevewithrow
SILVER-7t

Post by stevewithrow » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:28 pm

elgrau wrote:Hi stevewithrow,
Just FYI, I have argued on the side that says $800 PC's are NOT worth it (IMO; but reserving judgement re the "blind test") , just to let you know. Your 1st post seems to imply the opposite. I'm sure you've read this thread?: "New PS Audio Xtreme Speaker Cables" (which is about power cords; not speaker cables).
I was just talking about power cords in general ....

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:53 pm

Toymaker:
I love the new name you've given this section: "Fight Club". Also believe this concept (of a "fight club" where friends battle each other inside "the ring" but can still be friends or at least quasi-friends outside of "the ring" or when/if meeting in "real life") should be extended to here. i.e., members can really "take off the gloves" here and "duke it out", call each other names, debate, get angry, etc., etc., with the understanding that it's a "fight club" and that's what you do here! But in other sections of the forum, can still have a civil exchange with these former "combations"....I like it!
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

Return to “Fight Club”