FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:20 am

Carverfest Amps & Khorns finally

<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:28 am

Carverfest Amps & Khorns finally

As some of you may be aware, I acquired these 1954 Khorns a few months back. I was going to flip them but they match my car so I decided to keep them. The only problem though was the bass didn't sound good at all. My first amp was the Audio Note 300b SET integrated. That amp sounds wonderful on my Altec A7's but doesn't produce any bass on the Khorns. Then I tried my piece of junk Goldox 300b pushpull tube amp and the bass started showing up.

That amp ended up in my garage so next up was the Sophia Baby amp. It sounded ok, I think that amp sounds better on my KG4s but that was what stayed on the Khorns for a few months.

I finally decided to give the Carverfest amps a go on the Khorns. Wow, I think I finally found the match. The bass is finally alive, the midrange is warm and detailed and highs are there as well.

Finally this set up is coming together. These are running mono block but I think one amp in stereo mode would would be all I need.

Still need a preamp but using the Grant Fidelity DAC is working ok for now. Cable management 8-[ ?

One of these days I'll put the metal faceplate on, these are Eucalyptus amps stand I made, although I think I'll change the feet on them.

Anyway, I am glad I finally put these amps on these speakers. I know a lot of folks talk about 300b tunes on a Khorn, don't know why but these sound a lot better.
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, DUAL CS 5000 TT, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - Carver VTA20 Baby Black Beauty, Custom Line Stage, Klipschorns

2 channel - AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, Carver C-5 Pre, Altec A4 speakers

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec 288 Horns/JBL Bass bin
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Carverfest Amps & Khorns finally

Congrats Tinpan! K-Horns are some great speakers, had a pair forever ago and do miss them! =D>
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Very nice!! =D> =D> I must admit, there's not often times I'm green with envy but this is definitely one of them... =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:34 pm

Cool, tinpan! Always nice to hear a success story!
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:59 pm

jjptkd wrote:Very nice!! =D> =D> I must admit, there's not often times I'm green with envy but this is definitely one of them... =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

what he said!!!!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time

Return to Carver Tubes