FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:17 am

Music suggestions for CF 2010

<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Music suggestions for CF 2010

Lets see what members would like to hear.....If I could go , this would be one...

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8H52d6tVUuU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8H52d6tVUuU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ennMD1fPtXA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ennMD1fPtXA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tRBL3qQg4aE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tRBL3qQg4aE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Music suggestions for CF 2010

That first one is cool.

I've never been a Herp Albert fan; they quality of the recordings just isn't very good.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:38 am

If you have ribbon speakers , the Rotation song by Herb will give em a real work out.....
<<

TNRabbit

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:43 am

stevewithrow wrote:If you have ribbon speakers , the Rotation song by Herb will give em a real work out.....

You KNOW I do~

I'll see if I can find a copy & give it a spin...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:46 am

TNRabbit wrote:
stevewithrow wrote:If you have ribbon speakers , the Rotation song by Herb will give em a real work out.....

You KNOW I do~

I'll see if I can find a copy & give it a spin...

Turn it up and hit the SH button.... :D
<<

Wardsweb

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:59 am

Artist - Dave Brubeck
Title - Time Out
Year of Release - 1959
Record Label - Legacy Recordings

The classic quintessential jazz. This is one of the all time greats. I'm sure you have heard it. If you haven't your missing something very special. For you vinyl guys, the album takes this recording to the next level. Take Five is truely breath taking.

Artist - Matt Bianco (featuring Basia)
Title - Matt's Mood
Year of Release - 2005
Record Label - Decca

First off, Matt Bianco is the name of a group, not a person, and the trio's 1984 debut album, &quot;Whose Side Are You On?,&quot; went platinum. That didn't prevent the threesome from splitting up before they could even tour together. Basia Trzetrzelewska, the group's female singer, had her eyes on a solo career, and she took Matt Bianco keyboardist Danny White with her to create four albums under the single name Basia. Male singer Mark Reilly recruited a new keyboardist, Mark Fisher, and recorded eight more albums under the Matt Bianco moniker.

Last year Trzetrzelewska, White and Reilly reunited to co-write and co-produce a new Matt Bianco album, "Matt's Mood" and this spring they're touring as a trio for the first time.

Matt's Mood is flavored with jazz, bossa nova and Quiet Storm R & B. This one is great all the way through and does not get old after repeated plays. Check out some of the sound bites on Amazon. From the opening number "Ordinary Day" with Basia's smooth vocals to the rhythm of "Slip & Sliding", this album will make your speakers come to life.

Artist - Patricia Barber
Title - Modern Cool
Year of Release - 2002
Record Label - Mobile Fidelity Koch

This is an incredible ablum, right from the start. The very first cut "Touch of Trash" is sensuous music, showcasing Barber's voice and piano skills. Her voice is sultry and appealing. Close your eyes and just get lost in this smoky jazz.

Artist - Brian Bromberg
Title - Wood
Year of Release - April 2, 2002
Record Label - A440 Music Group

This is from jazz bassist Brian Bromberg on a 300 year old upright bass. The tonal quality of the notes is pure and sweet and what Brian does with it are magical. You will love his version of The Beatles "Come Together" like you've never heard before and smile when you hear "Star Spangled Banner".

Artists - Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto
Title - Getz/Gilberto
Year of Release - 1963
Record Label - Verve

Here is another classic. You have all heard "The Girl from Ipanema", but did you know it was written about the seventeen year old Hel&ocirc; Pinheiro. She inspired Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes in 1962 to write this song. Sitting in a cafe they saw her every day going to the beach of Ipanema, a district of Rio de Janeiro. Also, on the album the girl singing is Astrud Gilberto, Joao's wife. She and Getz's wife, Monica, were in the studio to listen. There is some debate over who suggested Astrud try singing a verse; Stan, Joao or Monica, but whoever did, it created one of the most memorable songs in history.
This is only one of the jewels on this album.

Artist - Multiple
Title - Very Audiophile New Recordings

Do yourself a favor and buy the B&W (BOWERS & WILKINS) Very Audiophile New Recordings album. I have the 180g vinyl but it is also available on SACD. Sara K. singing Turn My Upside Down has the most incredible imaging of any album I've ever heard. This direct metal master vinyl is some of the best produced. Not only sonically but it plays quiet right out of the sleeve. This is now my demo album for when people come over.

Artist - Madeleine Peyroux
Title - Careless Love
Year of Release - 2004 Record
Label - Rounder
The first thing you notice is how much she sounds like a young Billie Holiday. With pianist Larry Goldings and David Piltch on bass, they are a supurb band. A very light, half lit room kind of soft evening music.

Artist: Muddy Waters
Title: Folk Singer
Year: 1999 Record
Label: Chess
The quintessential blues album. Muddy unplugged and at his finest.

Artist - Ottmar Liebert
Title - Nouveau Flamenco
Year of Release - May 7, 1990
Record Label - Higher Octave
This is the album that started "Nouveau Flamenco"This is a more audience-friendly flamenco. Gone are the rough around the edges riffs and strict Gipsy/Latin feel. Liebert adds some bass guitar, tropical percussion, keyboard enhancements and a little romance for a sound that's warmer, smoother and much more melodic.

Artist - Yo-Yo Ma
Title - Simply Baroque II
Year of Release - 2000
Record Label - Sony
Yo-Yo Ma plays with a baroque bow on his 1712 Stradivarius cello "reconfigured" as a baroque instrument with gut strings and no endpin and tuned a half-tone lower. This gives it a mellower, more subdued sound, though his tone, despite very sparing vibrato, retains its unique expressive warmth and purity. A pleasure even for those that are not classical aficionados.
Last edited by Wardsweb on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
~There are many roads to audio nirvana. While the ultimate goal may be the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride.~
<<

Wardsweb

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:06 am

Steely Dan - Aja

I am a certified Steely Dan junkie and AJA fanatic. This album was a milestone in music. So, here is a break down on AJA.

1) Black Cow

This track features memorable solo performances by the late, great Victor Feldman (fender rhodes) and a young Tom Scott (tenor sax). It’s also worth noting that Tom Scott wrote ALL of the horn arrangements on Aja, the first time his unique phrasing and styling were heard outside of his solo releases. Trivia fact: drummer Paul Humphrey made his mark on the old TV show “Name That Tune”.

2) Aja

The title track is part jazz and part rock structured almost like a three part symphony; musically speaking, it has a head and chorus, but what would be the bridge features some of the most virtuoso free-form Tenor Sax (Wayne Shorter of Weather Report fame) and Drum (all-time great session drummer Steve Gadd) solos ever recorded. In fact, studying the transcribed Steve Gadd drum solo this was one of those performances you “learn” how to play your instrument from. Trivia fact: if you listen carefully, you can hear Timothy B. Schmit’s (of Eagles fame) high backing vocals in support of Donald Fagen.

3) Deacon Blues

This track became an instant classic for both its lyrics and solo tenor sax performance by Pete Christlieb. In fact, you can still find this big band jazz arrangement in the performance books of many high-school and college jazz bands. This was the lone track featuring Walter Becker on bass, quite a departure from the band’s early days where he was the featured bassist. Trivia fact: remember those screaming sax solos you used to hear from the Tonight Show band coming out of commercial breaks? That was none other than Pete Christlieb.

4) Peg

This track was one of the two “hits” (along with Josie) from Aja. It’s been described as one of the most densely layered Top 40 recordings ever, again featuring a famous guitar solo in what is essentially a 13 bar Blues. It also featured a very memorable Michael McDonald falsetto refrain, coinciding with his emergence as a driving force (and Grammy winner) with the Doobie Brothers. Trivia fact: guitar soloist Jay Graydon (another Grammy winner) later went on to write and produce for such notable performers as Al Jarreau, George Benson, and Earth, Wind & Fire.

5) Home At Last

A clever re-telling of Homer’s Odyssey (Fagen was actually an English major in college), this track is best known for Bernard “Pretty” Purdie’s driving beat that became an instant classic among drummers (if you can lay down the Home At Last groove, you can play drums!). Purdie, who also played on Deacon Blues, was nearing the end of a career as a first-call studio musician that began in the 50’s and included some of the most famous R&B hits of the 60’s. It is also the only track on this release to feature solos by both Donald Fagen and Walter Becker. Trivia fact: careful listening will once again reveal Timothy B. Schmit’s perfect backing harmonies.

6) I Got The News

While arguably the weakest track on the release, it never-the-less features a solid groove and steller background vocals by the now instantly recognizable Michael McDonald.

7) Josie

The other big hit off the release, this track is considered by some to be a rock classic. It combines typically cynical lyrics with outstanding guitar solos over yet another unique drum groove provided by Jim Keltner, another first-call session drummer from the 60’s & 70’s (who played with members of Cream and the Beatles to name a few). While the steady Chuck Rainey played bass on nearly every track, Aja features 6 different drummers on 7 tracks, unique even by today’s standards.
~There are many roads to audio nirvana. While the ultimate goal may be the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride.~
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:05 pm

Just noticed you recommended Muddy Waters. We just recently watched a movie entitled "Cadillac Records". The movie is based on this record company, but also tells the story of Muddy Waters and his career. Just wanted to share, you might enjoy this movie.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:04 pm

This year I will be bringing a plethora of audiophile CD's and SACD's. Among them are Tubular Bells, Witches Brew and Jazz at the Pawnshop. I will hopefully have the 24K gold remastered edition of Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus' album as well. OK, Little Feat may not be audiophile "quality" but it's my favorite album. I think all of you will like Witches Brew. Strange shit right there...
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:28 pm

treitz3 wrote:This year I will be bringing a plethora of audiophile CD's and SACD's. Among them are Tubular Bells, Witches Brew and Jazz at the Pawnshop. I will hopefully have the 24K gold remastered edition of Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus' album as well. OK, Little Feat may not be audiophile "quality" but it's my favorite album. I think all of you will like Witches Brew. Strange shit right there...

Tom.

I will be bringing Tubular Bells as well, but my copy will be on vinyl. (UK pressing)

Brian.
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:42 pm

Sweet, I'd like to hear that. Question is, are we gonna have an LP player to play it on?

I wasn't planning on bringing mine because it somehow got damaged on the way up to CF before last, but if I have to I will. Hell, it will give me an incentive to finally get it back up and running...
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:46 pm

Wardsweb wrote: Image
Artist - Multiple
Title - Very Audiophile New Recordings

Do yourself a favor and buy the B&W (BOWERS & WILKINS) Very Audiophile New Recordings album. I have the 180g vinyl but it is also available on SACD. Sara K. singing Turn My Upside Down has the most incredible imaging of any album I've ever heard. This direct metal master vinyl is some of the best produced. Not only sonically but it plays quiet right out of the sleeve. This is now my demo album for when people come over.

I have been looking to purchase this LP, ever since you mention it on the forum. I have not been able to find it, If you know where you where I can purchase it please let me know.

Brian.
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:49 pm

treitz3 wrote:Sweet, I'd like to hear that. Question is, are we gonna have an LP player to play it on?

I wasn't planning on bringing mine because it somehow got damaged on the way up to CF before last, but if I have to I will. Hell, it will give me an incentive to finally get it back up and running...

Tom.

I have had a new VPI Classic Turntable on order for over a month, if I ever get it, I will be bring it to CF10, with my set of Bob's 180's.

Brian.
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:52 pm

Tip of the hat to you, sir! =D>

Nice, nice, nice. That sounds like a plan. In the meantime, I'll see about getting my TT back up and running so we could possibly do a A/B. I have very limited TT experience so it will be a learning experience for me. Thanks bro'. :wink:

<<

kingman

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:51 pm

BrianT wrote:
treitz3 wrote:Sweet, I'd like to hear that. Question is, are we gonna have an LP player to play it on?

Tom.

I have had a new VPI Classic Turntable on order for over a month, if I ever get it, I will be bring it to CF10, with my set of Bob's 180's.

Brian.
The tube amps are what I want to hear....bring them Brian!!! 8) \:D/ 8)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
Next

Return to CARVERFEST 2010