FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:58 pm

Best way to transport AL-III's?

<<

Hacker-Pschorr

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Best way to transport AL-III's?

I'm picking up a pair of AL-III's on Saturday, about two hours away from home. I have a Yukon XL so space isn't a problem.

Should I lay them "face down" or on their side in the back of the truck?

This is a long time coming, I've been kicking myself since about 1996 when I use to sell these, as I watched the last pair roll out the door thinking I should have bought them myself.

When I demo these at the sellers house, any particular song / material I should play to "inspect" the ribbon?

I'm also research the sub upgrade mod. The suggested infinity is out of production, but easily found used. Is the Perfect 10 still the best sub to use or is there a newer sub you guys would recommend? I don't plan to do this right away, just thinking ahead.....

Thanks!!!
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: Best way to transport AL-III's?

face down on thick blankets
music with piano is good, this will find buzzes in the ribbons, bells also, will find flaws like break up, kinda sounds like a crackle sound

Wagner, ride of the Valkyrie is good for this test.
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Hacker-Pschorr

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:17 am

mbskeam wrote:Wagner, ride of the Valkyrie is good for this test.

That's an excellent suggestions. I only have a copy on vinyl. Need to find a loss-less digital copy to download for the test listen in case he doesn't have record player connected.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:04 am

I've never transported mine face down, bit they've traveled 8 hours each way to Carverfest 3 times in a minivan, a Ford Probe(!), and the open back of my pickup. I always wrapped them in bubble wrap then in industrial-size cling wrap, then place 3 pillows between them face-to-face on their sides and put a couple of ratchet straps around the bases to hold them together. The bubble wrap probably isn't necessary for a short trip inside, but the pillows & ratchet straps really stabilize them.

I recommend Dianna Krall, Norah Jones, and "Linus & Lucy" by David Benoit for test music~
Last edited by TNRabbit on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:32 am

You want them face down. If you put them on the side, a bump in the road can cause the magnets slide in the ribbons. It happened to beemers a few months ago when he was transporting a set.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

RevAmish

M-400t CUBE

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:10 am

Hacker-Pschorr wrote:I'm also research the sub upgrade mod. The suggested infinity is out of production, but easily found used. Is the Perfect 10 still the best sub to use or is there a newer sub you guys would recommend? I don't plan to do this right away, just thinking ahead.....

The gang in Pittsburgh have been experimenting with using a JL driver in the Sunfire subs. So far, the results have been awesome. We're going to be doing an experiment soon with them in a pair of ALIII's as well.
NOW PLAYING: Melos GK-1, Carver 305 monoblocks, FunkFirm Vector TT, Arcam DAC, MacMini w/JRiver, Philips CD-80, Revox B77, River Current AL-VIII speakers, River Current Cables
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:33 pm

RevAmish wrote:The gang in Pittsburgh have been experimenting with using a JL driver in the Sunfire subs. So far, the results have been awesome.

The 10" or 12" sub? Which model JL woofer? Its hard to imagine a "better" driver then the original unless its the 12" where there's no known factory replace. :-k Also, the stock subs are of the high back emf design which, from what I understand, is actually closer to a 12 ohm load under strain and fitted specifically for the factory plate. I've been told that running a standard 4 ohm woofer with one of those plates will burn it up. :-s
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:40 pm

I hauled a set of AL-IIIs once in the trunk of my car, I used a bunch of pillows and moving blankets to pad them. I had them face up with the bass bins touching the back seats and the tops sticking out of the trunk a few feet. #-o Luckily they weren't too far from me and they made it home OK. I've been told never to lay these speakers on their side because of the above mentioned problems with the ribbon magnets. Good luck, I think you'll really enjoy those speakers, especially if you have adequate power to drive them (they are power hungry) and a sub that can blend in and keep up.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

TNRabbit

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 pm

thuffman03 wrote:You want them face down. If you put them on the side, a bump in the road can cause the magnets slide in the ribbons. It happened to beemers a few months ago when he was transporting a set.

I've traveled on all types of roads for thousands of miles with mine on their side with never a problem....
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:36 pm

TNRabbit wrote:
thuffman03 wrote:You want them face down. If you put them on the side, a bump in the road can cause the magnets slide in the ribbons. It happened to beemers a few months ago when he was transporting a set.

I've traveled on all types of roads for thousands of miles with mine on their side with never a problem....

I've personally seen a few ribbons at Rita's repair shop with the magnets pushed out into the middle of the ribbon. I'm sure each speaker is different, quality and quantity of glue, possible storage situation ie varying temps etc that could cause glue failure or weaken the glue. Either way you may have just been lucky Rabbit. :?
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:01 pm

RevAmish wrote:
Hacker-Pschorr wrote:I'm also research the sub upgrade mod. The suggested infinity is out of production, but easily found used. Is the Perfect 10 still the best sub to use or is there a newer sub you guys would recommend? I don't plan to do this right away, just thinking ahead.....

The gang in Pittsburgh have been experimenting with using a JL driver in the Sunfire subs. So far, the results have been awesome. We're going to be doing an experiment soon with them in a pair of ALIII's as well.

IIRC, Alex has the JLs in his ALIIIs. Alex??

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Take EVERY coushion and pillow you can find in your house(couch futon chair or bed) along with all the blankets you have inluding any bubble wrap foam pads or carpet. Pad the floor of the truck, the front the sides the back in other words don't let them roll slide or take a bump in the road pad every way up down sideways back and forth. MORE IS BETTER use your head and you will get them home in one piece.

TRUST ME OVER KILL IS. BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

Hacker-Pschorr

Post Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Thank you for all the advice, I was able to get them home safe and sound with a copious amount of padding :D

Love'em and so does my wife. They are the centerpiece of our living room.
Great conversation starter when anyone arrives which usually turns into hours of "showing off" the speakers.

One of the woofers has developed a slight rattle or buzz at certain frequencies / volumes. I've turned the dial on the sub all the way down which has lessened the the noise quite a bit. The surround looks intact so I don't think it's from foam rot (recently repair a set of Infinity Kappa's due to that).
It's only really noticeable during really low frequencies.

So.....thinking long term I'm studying this mod again, as mentioned in my original post:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15620

As for power, I'm using one of these:

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=M-5 ... lifier&p=i

My plan is to buy a second M504 and bi-ampimg these.

I have a pair of PPI carbon comp 12" subs I haven't used in 10+ years wrapped up in the basement. I'm guessing I'm not lucky enough for those to be a drop in fit. I don't really want to cut up the original holes.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:49 pm

There's no way to fit a 12" woofer in the AL-IIIs. I tried.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:12 am

TNRabbit wrote:There's no way to fit a 12" woofer in the AL-IIIs. I tried.

Without building a new cabinet that is
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

Return to Carver Speakers