Original Carver Amazing Loudspeakers on e-bay

Carver Speaker Discussions and Questions
Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Original Carver Amazing Loudspeakers on e-bay

Post by Magnaryder » Wed May 30, 2007 5:37 pm

Anyone need a set of Amazing Loudspeakers? BIN price of $750.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carver-Amazing-spea ... dZViewItem

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Wed May 30, 2007 6:05 pm

Beware! "The pictures shown are not the actual speakers"...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Wed May 30, 2007 8:39 pm

Bastid added that after I made this post. Gotta wonder why he can post someone elses pics but not his own. I asked for some hi-rez pics, we'll see if he comes through.
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

avguytx
TFM-6cb

Post by avguytx » Thu May 31, 2007 10:31 pm

Are these the Platinums since they have the 4) woofers? I know exactly where these are at and could see them next week. I've always wanted a pair and could then bridge my M-1.0t's on them!

Who owns them here? What are thoughts? I'm going to do some searching in here on them.

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Thu May 31, 2007 11:09 pm

No, they are the original Amazing speakers with two 30" ribbons. They are 4 ohm loads and something like 84 dB efficent. You'll not be using bridged amps with those.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Make America Great Again

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Thu May 31, 2007 11:28 pm

He sent some pics but carefully truncated the bottom 1/4 of the speaker.Hmmmm.......Well I asked for more pics INCLUDING a full length view of each and he has yet to reply, that was yesterday evening. I guess we know how this turns out. Does ebay have a sign over their headquarters that says"theives enter here"? That's 2 of them this week alone.
Magnaryder

avguytx
TFM-6cb

Post by avguytx » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:34 am

F1nut wrote:No, they are the original Amazing speakers with two 30" ribbons. They are 4 ohm loads and something like 84 dB efficent. You'll not be using bridged amps with those.
Nope. That's for sure. Thanks for the info, F1. So what is the difference in the Platinums? I am still learning the speakers...little by little.

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:00 am

The Plat's are 8 ohm nominal, 89 dB efficient and have one 60" ribbon. They also use four 12" woofers, but a different type. The earlier Plat's are bi-wire/bi amp capable. The last version, the Mk IV's have only one set of binding posts, but have contour controls on the back, which I feel are more importatnt than the bi capable crap.

I should also mention that the thought that one needs massive WPC amps to drive the Plat's just isn't true. In fact, I know one guy that got rid of his 9T's for a 200 wpc Classe because the Classe just flat out smoked the 9T's.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Make America Great Again

avguytx
TFM-6cb

Post by avguytx » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:21 am

From what I gather about these speakers, they really need a decent size room to really "sing" and do what they are supposed to do. I don't think I have the right room for them to really work right since my 2-channel stuff is in my office at home and it's really not big enough for the SDA 1C's. But, I do like the nearfield sound I get from them. My office is about 12 X 10 and I think my sitting position away from the speakers centered is about 8' or so.

I would entertain the idea of setting something up in my living room with them since it's 23' x 20' but the arrangement would make it tough. The main wall of my HT stuff is something I built out of 2X4 frame and then sheet rocked and painted to match the room complete with built in shelves, lighting, crown molding, etc. Needless to say, it can't be moved. It would be a rearrangement of the furniture when I really wanted to listen to them.

Oh well...one day I'll have a dedicated listening room.

skip
aka (Sasquach)

Post by skip » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:33 pm

The other problem with the ALS is that they have to be placed about 3' out from the wall. Not many rooms (or more importantly wives) will allow this placement.

Return to “Carver Speakers”