FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:37 am

Ribbon buzzing

<<

TNRabbit

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 13342

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:53 am

Location: TN Native Languishing in VA

Post Tue May 18, 2010 10:20 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Which bee video? There are dozens of them!
TNRabbit
Image

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Asoundpainter

Newbie 50+

Posts: 92

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Post Wed May 19, 2010 7:18 am

Re: Ribbon buzzing

The one thats got those two japanese bee's. I believe episode 29 or somewhere thereabouts!
<<

bsturgeon89

User avatar

TFM-55

Posts: 788

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:42 pm

Location: Findlay, Ohio

Post Fri May 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

I could be wrong but did I read somewhere about using hairspray or something of the sort. I think part of the ribbon is slightly loose and I mean slightly. Just enough to hear it.
Carverfest 2010 quote...I can't explain it right now, I'm drunk...

GO BUCKEYES
<<

marantzfan

User avatar

Newbie 50+

Posts: 62

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Location: Surprise, AZ

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Ribbon buzzing

I just acquired some ALIII ribbons to replace the damaged ribbon in my Amazing Silvers. I figured best to keep the matched type together then have one ALIII ribbon and one Silver ribbon.

Anyhow, I have the buzz. I am quite certain that it didn't exist before these were shipped to me and I wonder it climate difference from there to here can be partially to blame?? I live in a desert (Phoenix AZ) and these came from the Midwest. I have been a little gun shy to start tightening up screws for fear of damaging these. It seems as though both ribbons are buzzing and on one I can pretty much pin point it to the top 12" of the ribbon. I havent listened closely to the other ribbon yet to determine where its problem area lies.

I just dropped over $500 on these, someone tell me this can be fixed. Both ribbons look immaculate.
Sunfire Classic, Sunfire 300, Cambridge DACmagic, Technics SL-1210 M5G w. Benz Micro Silver, Carver Amazing Silver
<<

Scarabeo

User avatar

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Posts: 2655

Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:29 am

Re: Ribbon buzzing

marantzfan wrote:I just acquired some ALIII ribbons to replace the damaged ribbon in my Amazing Silvers. I figured best to keep the matched type together then have one ALIII ribbon and one Silver ribbon.

Anyhow, I have the buzz.

I just dropped over $500 on these, someone tell me this can be fixed. Both ribbons look immaculate.


Crap, Sorry to hear that - I think if everything looks good and no magnets are out of place there may have been at one time and a poor repair job that may look good could be the issue but I have no idea just a thought I too am in need of a Ribbon for my AL III's but on my bad one you clearly can see the magnet pushing against the Film and the pressure may have put a tear where I can't see - I may put super glue on a pencil and glue it to the out of place Magnet until it dries, Then pull the magnet away from the Ribbon so I can take the structure apart and re-glue the Magnet and look for rips.

If you see no issues at all maybe a easy fix will pop up!
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

Toy Maker

User avatar

Puppet Master

Posts: 6542

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:26 am

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Scarabeo wrote:
marantzfan wrote:I just acquired some ALIII ribbons to replace the damaged ribbon in my Amazing Silvers. I figured best to keep the matched type together then have one ALIII ribbon and one Silver ribbon.

Anyhow, I have the buzz.

I just dropped over $500 on these, someone tell me this can be fixed. Both ribbons look immaculate.


I think if everything looks good and no magnets are out of place there may have been at one time and a poor repair job that may look good could be the issue but I have no idea just a thought


^ Unlikely


The climate change IS most likely the problem, and the fact that they are probably 10-20 years old.
Did the person you bought them from say anything about them ever being rebuilt?

The FIRST thing I would try is, close up the house and turn the AC on for a day or 2, (get it down to 75) and it will probably go away.
If it does, turn the AC off, and you will have to start tightening screws (( A LITTLE AT A TIME )) and see if you can get the buzz to go away.
If you can't, then you have bigger problems, and could be looking at a rebuild.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

Image
<<

marantzfan

User avatar

Newbie 50+

Posts: 62

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Location: Surprise, AZ

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Toy Maker wrote:
Scarabeo wrote:
marantzfan wrote:I just acquired some ALIII ribbons to replace the damaged ribbon in my Amazing Silvers. I figured best to keep the matched type together then have one ALIII ribbon and one Silver ribbon.

Anyhow, I have the buzz.

I just dropped over $500 on these, someone tell me this can be fixed. Both ribbons look immaculate.


I think if everything looks good and no magnets are out of place there may have been at one time and a poor repair job that may look good could be the issue but I have no idea just a thought


^ Unlikely


The climate change IS most likely the problem, and the fact that they are probably 10-20 years old.
Did the person you bought them from say anything about them ever being rebuilt?

The FIRST thing I would try is, close up the house and turn the AC on for a day or 2, (get it down to 75) and it will probably go away.
If it does, turn the AC off, and you will have to start tightening screws (( A LITTLE AT A TIME )) and see if you can get the buzz to go away.
If you can't, then you have bigger problems, and could be looking at a rebuild.


Thanks for the reply Toymaker. Once I begin tightening screws how will I know when is enough and when is too much?

I really, really don't want to have these rebuilt or I will have more money in these then it would have costed to buy OEM ones from you. [-o<

Also, I don't think these have ever been rebuilt.
Sunfire Classic, Sunfire 300, Cambridge DACmagic, Technics SL-1210 M5G w. Benz Micro Silver, Carver Amazing Silver
<<

Breaking Glass

M-400t CUBE

Posts: 113

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Location: Missouri

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

I have some original 30” ribbons I replaced with a set of 60” from Toy maker, with the original 30” ribbons I felt that with some interments (mainly woodwinds or electronic pop like Enigma) they would emit a slightly unnatural sound when I first got my amazing speakers but I keep my house closed up, the ac on and a dehumidifier running all the time to insure low humidity. You could hear the speakers getting better and better the longer they were in this environment and it pulled some of the moisture out of them. Of course now I have the 60” in them and a stack of 30” setting off to the side, maybe one of these days I will get around to making something out of them.
<<

TNRabbit

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 13342

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:53 am

Location: TN Native Languishing in VA

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Thanks for the reply Toymaker. Once I begin tightening screws how will I know when is enough and when is too much?

I really, really don't want to have these rebuilt or I will have more money in these then it would have costed to buy OEM ones from you. [-o<

Also, I don't think these have ever been rebuilt.

Make TINY, 1/16th-1/8th adjustments to the screws nearest the buzz. If you hear a "pop"....oh shit. The ribbons screws are the Philips head; the square head are for the ribbon attachment to the wings.
TNRabbit
Image

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

marantzfan

User avatar

Newbie 50+

Posts: 62

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Location: Surprise, AZ

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Wel....So far, so good. Tightened up the screw in the areas I could hear the buzzing and for now, no buzzing!! One on ribbon it was actually buzzing in two places so I had to tighten screws in two areas.

Fingers crossed that I fixed it and the problem doesn't resurface. [-o<
Sunfire Classic, Sunfire 300, Cambridge DACmagic, Technics SL-1210 M5G w. Benz Micro Silver, Carver Amazing Silver
<<

mbskeam

User avatar

SILVER-7t

Posts: 1987

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:32 am

Location: Woodinville Wa

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

cool..... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ [-o< [-o<
Mbskeam


#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

engtaz

User avatar

"TAZ"

Posts: 5246

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:43 pm

Location: Tampa, FL

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Congrats =D> =D> =D> =D>
engtaz


Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Posts: 2728

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:56 pm

Location: manning, sc

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Ribbon buzzing

so do either of you guys that have the a stack of 30" ribbons, or the al's and silvers want ot part with a ribbon or two for cheap. i want to make a center channel to go with my al-III's for the ultimate 7.1 surround sound. i think that the two 30" might do good as i can have some kind of tweeter between them. but i am not too picky. i am going to use some midbass drivers and woofers along with a horn of some sort. i tried a al-III sideways as a center, but it did not sound correct. it sounded like a tv speaker on steriods, and not like a bad ass center channel like in a theater.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

marantzfan

User avatar

Newbie 50+

Posts: 62

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Location: Surprise, AZ

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:01 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

angelod307 wrote:so do either of you guys that have the a stack of 30" ribbons, or the al's and silvers want ot part with a ribbon or two for cheap. i want to make a center channel to go with my al-III's for the ultimate 7.1 surround sound. i think that the two 30" might do good as i can have some kind of tweeter between them. but i am not too picky. i am going to use some midbass drivers and woofers along with a horn of some sort. i tried a al-III sideways as a center, but it did not sound correct. it sounded like a tv speaker on steriods, and not like a bad ass center channel like in a theater.


I have an extra Silver ribbon which I have posted for sale on this forum.

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=12420
Sunfire Classic, Sunfire 300, Cambridge DACmagic, Technics SL-1210 M5G w. Benz Micro Silver, Carver Amazing Silver
<<

Scarabeo

User avatar

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Posts: 2655

Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

marantzfan wrote:
angelod307 wrote:


I have an extra Silver ribbon which I have posted for sale on this forum.

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=12420


"SOLD" \:D/
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Speakers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB © 2011 phpBB Group.