FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:14 pm

Amazing Discovery

<<

elshout

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:08 pm

Amazing Discovery

Maybe this will be a helpful finding or incentive for someone:

I have a pair of Carver Amazing Platinum Mark IV speakers that I have own new since 1992. I have been running them with a Hafler 9500 (250 wpc into 8 ohms) amplifier. I have always enjoyed my system but always felt the bass was lacking some. The bass could be found, but you really had to crank the system to get to it. I recently came across and purchased two Hafler DH-500 amplifiers with the bridge kits installed for a steal. Just to compare, I unbridged one of the amps to compare it to my 9500. They sound very much alike, but I found the DH-500 slightly weaker in the bass. I am not sure if this is due to the older main capacitors or not (I plan on replacing them just because).

Then, I re-bridged the DH-500 and ran both of them mono (750 wpc into 8 ohms). FINALLY, I can hear the benefit of the Platinums. They are Amazing. Even though unbridged the DH-500 was light in the bass, bridged it is a different story. The bass is great now and all the way through the volume range. It is immediately noticeable. I feel as though I have only been hearing 4 of the 8 woofers in the Platinum pair, and now I am hearing all 8! Before, it was if the ribbon was more prominent than the woofers. Now, it is a perfect balance. I had considered selling my Platinums due to the light bass, Not anymore.

I have been listening to my CD collection all over again. My favorite to hear and FEEL what these can do is Nickelback - All The Right Reasons, especially track 2, Fight For All The Wrong Reasons. There are three areas in this song where the whole room shakes. Must be experienced!

I only gained about 3-4 db in volume, but the fullness and richness of the sound is a tremendous improvement. They are now definitely a joy to listen to.

So, for any of you Platinum owners who are not impressed with your speakers, GET SOME POWER TO THEM. You will not be disappointed.

I hope this will give someone the courage to get more power to your Carvers. I am sure glad I finally did.

Scott
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:17 pm

Re: Amazing Discovery

Yep. They do love power. Welcome to the forum.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:21 pm

Yep, that's the secret -- mo powah! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

I was running mine (Originals, then an upgrade to Platinum ribbons/x-overs) nicely with an adcom 5800 stereo amp - 250w/ch like your Hafler. But what a difference with 575-1200 w/ch with monoblock Silver 7ts or 9ts! Vroom, vroom! :shock:
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:44 pm

Dude, you've just discovered what many of us have known for years.... :D
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:27 pm

Welcome elshout
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:00 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:29 pm

Just a little info about running bridged amps. Almost all bridged amps do not like to see less than 8 ohm nominal loads, they have less headroom and are slighty noisier.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:02 am

Jesse, what is it that makes a bridged amp not work well at less than 8 ohm loads? I've always wondered about that.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:05 am

I'll let Jesse answer, but it's all about Ohm's law. You can't get something for nothing.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

jerryj12

TFM-6cb

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:00 pm

OH Yes, mine really sing with the 9t's.
They seem to" wow" me daily.
<<

kingman

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:17 am

skip wrote:Jesse, what is it that makes a bridged amp not work well at less than 8 ohm loads? I've always wondered about that.

I read it somewhere but have forgotten...What about it Jesse???
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Return to Carver Speakers