It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:04 pm

Carverfest 2011 Recap

<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Carverfest 2011 Recap

My initial thoughts:

Reflecting back, the best ever. People, amp build, food, stereo systems, setting, etc. what else can be said.

First of all, much thanks to all that made this possible. In no particular order:

Bob Carver, who is one of the nicest, down to earth individuals you could ever meet. His sense of humor is over the top. Can't list what all he did, because he, as were many individuals helping out in every area.

Bob's assistant Jordan for putting all of those baggies of parts together.

James, Alex, Dave and the entire Sauter family for all of your work putting this together. Nicole, thanks for the soldering help. Couldn't have done it without you and Mike (you the man).

Tom, (Treitz) thank you for all of the coordination and hard work, both on the scene and behind the scenes.

To our soldering tutors: Roy (go to person for everything), Mark (also for the CD), Tom from Carolina, Tom from Vintage HiFi and Mike.

To our food preps and cooks: Gets gray here, too busy feeding my face. Don't know who prepared what. However, do know Eddie prepared Marinated Filet skewers and Jerry cooked. Out of this world Guys. Jerry and Niki, excellent job on the chickens. Don't know which Tom from up North or both, also excellent job on the BBQ Pork. In addition, all others who prepared and cooked the delicious food I consumed, but did not know who.

Mike, Bill, Gary and Martin staying in Cabin 5 for letting us have the soldering class and amp build in your cabin.

Watershed staff: Thank you for everything. A great venue to hold this event. A very unique setting.

Forum members who brought stereo systems to audition: Wonderful experience.

It was great seeing old friends again and making new ones. To all on the forum, I am truly sorry you were unable to share such a positive experience with us at Carverfest.

I am sure I missed many individuals in expressing my gratitude. Happens each and every time a list of individuals is created. For this, I truly apologize.
Last edited by Don on Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Re: Carverfest 2011 Recap

"...as kings and queens bow and play for you...." ("High Tides and Green Grass Forever", The Outlaws)

Sounds like everyone had a great time! Can't wait for the tube amp build "reviews" to start coming in!
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:02 pm

as to the sound of the amps....

nice, these things sound great......
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:13 pm

mbskeam wrote:as to the sound of the amps....

Thanks to all the "talented" helpers that gave a tremendous amount of their time to help us ALL!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:22 pm

mbskeam wrote:as to the sound of the amps....

Mike,

If it wasn't for Bob, you, Nicole and the soldering instructors, I would have failed miserably. Going to hook it into "My Vintage system" tonight. Waiting for Matt to get off work to unload the heavier items from the car trunk.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:26 pm

My apologies to all at carverfest; I was very preoccupied this year with a getting my amp built so I could have a couple of free days....

It it was great to see old friends again and meet new ones!

Thank you to everyone who helped and to Bob in particular. he really stressed himself with the amp build.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Don wrote:My initial thoughts:

Reflecting back, the best ever. People, amp build, food, stereo systems, setting, etc. what else can be said.

First of all, much thanks to all that made this possible. In no particular order:

Bob Carver, who is one of the nicest, down to earth individuals you could ever meet. His sense of humor is over the top. Can't list what all he did, because he, as were many individuals helping out in every area.

Bob's assistant Jordan for putting all of those baggies of parts together.

James, Alex, Dave and the entire Sauter family for all of your work putting this together. Nicole, thanks for the soldering help. Couldn't have done it without you and Mike (you the man).

Tom, (Treitz) thank you for all of the coordination and hard work, both on the scene and behind the scenes.

To our soldering tutors: Roy (go to person for everything), Mark (also for the CD), Tom from Carolina, Tom from Vintage HiFi and Mike.

To our food preps and cooks: Gets gray here, too busy feeding my face. Don't know who prepared what. However, do know Eddie prepared Marinated Filet skewers and Jerry cooked. Out of this world Guys. Jerry and Niki, excellent job on the chickens. Don't know which Tom from up North or both, also excellent job on the BBQ Pork. In addition, all others who prepared and cooked the delicious food I consumed, but did not know who.

Mike, Bill, Gary and others staying in Cabin 5 for letting us have the soldering class and amp build in your cabin.

Watershed staff: Thank you for everything. A great venue to hold this event. A very unique setting.

Forum members who brought stereo systems to audition: Wonderful experience.

It was great seeing old friends again and making new ones. To all on the forum, I am truly sorry you were unable to share such a positive experience with us at Carverfest.

I am sure I missed many individuals in expressing my gratitude. Happens each and every time a list of individuals is created. For this, I truly apologize.

====================

Good post Don. I agree and will try not to just post the same things you did, but it will be hard as you covered it well. I really want to thank you for putting up with me. You and yours really took me in. Yall need to adopt me. The classic set up you had was just excellent. Sitting there with you and the the tunes was an experience I will remember. I guess a few guys from our generation (like Bob) knew something about reproducing tunes. That was a great sounding system. As I thought on it later, I remembered that back then with that great gear you had on display, we only had turntables and tapes. :lol:

Impressions from a new guy -

I hope I don't write too much, but we all know I will. On the plus side, Alex told me I am too quiet. :-"

The same things you read in old CF posts from past years is true. You of course expected me to say that, but it is true. Everyone was happy and friendly, at least that is all I saw. All the Carver Fest hype is true. ](*,) I know that is hard to believe, but at least from my experience, all true. I suppose that is why guys travel from across the country to return.

As a new guy (virgin they called me) everyone kept asking me if everything was OK, was I having a good time, what did I think? Trying to live my life "quiet and shy in a world full of push and shove", that got old, but they meant well. All the old hands seemed determined to make sure things went well for me, and everything did. I enjoyed every minute. 4 nights went by too quickly, and next year, if I am allowed to return, will stay longer.

One of the best things was putting names to people. I don't mean name to photo, but a name to a real person. I was able in my short time there to spend time with many, and maybe even became more than just "forum friends" with a couple. Many there really impressed me, and I don't mean just with brains.

The cabins are actually big houses, much nicer than my home. The food was excellent. I was a little concerned about that as I am a rather "picky" eater and was worried I might offend. I ate every dish, and everything was very good. I gained another 10 pounds. I am not sure who cooked this and that, so for fear of missing someone, just let me say, the food was great. (well, Gary did over cook the eggs one morning ). :lol:

Things did not go as I had thought they would. They actually went as no one thought they would. The twist this year was the great planned "6 hour" amp build. At the last minute, it was decided our cabin was the best place for it, and I am sure that is true. The twist was that only Bob could build one in 6 hours. For normal audio experts, it took a lot more time, a lot more!! They started building days before I got there on Thursday morning. When I arrived, the tables were full of builders happily engrossed and determined to build the amp. New arrivals joined in the quest to build this s.w.e.e.t amp. Pretty much, the cabin was packed from early morning to about 3A.M. everyday. That was good, as I did not need to travel to mingle with everyone. Bob was right there, often to well into the A.M. hours. Still, to be honest, there were a few helpers, who cheerfully worked the tables everyday, all day helping everyone. Without their help, this would have been a bust. Anyone with a new amp who does not send these guys a Christmas present has not yet paid the full price owed. :)
The amp building worked out, but it required the builders and the helpers to go the extra mile, and then many more miles.
I think the difficulty of it all helped to bring all closer than ever. Shared stress is a friend builder. It all worked out for the best. =D>

As good as it all was, nothing is perfect. :rolleyes:
It is a give and take thing, and any cons were few and minor.
I had hoped to hear more tunes. Much of that is my fault. In my cabin, it was 90% not possible. Gary and Martin brought excellent gear. Gary set his spectacular system up, but we never really got into a good listening session as music interfered with the building of the amps. Bob needs quiet, not Norah Jones too loud (could not resist that). Martin and I never even unpacked our gear. :(

As to visiting other cabins, I did that when invited and experienced some things I will remember. On the whole though, most of the time, most of the people were not home, but in our cabin. I really did not know the others yet, and was hesitant to just knock on a door and tell them the 'forum trouble maker' was there for tunes. Next year I will as now I know most. :lol:

I took up a few hundred $$ in food and booze for the Cabin #5 Friday night party announced last February I think. It was all canceled due to the amp building. I am sad about that, but things happen. I guess this is minor compared to all Gary had to give up. Plus, now me and my Beagle have a year's supply of party food. I even hauled up my Tequila machine - maybe next year - O:)

The weather was really good. There was no rain, and the days were cool in the 70's. The area the cabins are in is perfect. Getting there is easy, and the only steep roads are short and inside the property. Any car you drive will have no problem there.

Having been there and done that, my advice to you would be to make plans to attend next year.
I am pretty sure all who attended intend to return. If more come ( [-o< ) that means we will need to pack in tighter next year. I never would have believed I would post this, but THAT IS A GOOD THING.

Like Don said, thanks to all who make this happen.

<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:38 pm

TNRabbit wrote:My apologies to all at carverfest; I was very preoccupied this year with a getting my amp built

That was true for most. (not me)
It really cut down on the "meet and greet" time but in many ways worked out great.
I doubt anyone would change anything.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks for the recap guys. It sounds like the amp build took more time than expected. Hey was Brock there with his new wife? If so, post some pictures of her > want to see if I ever dated her? :lol: :lol:
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Brock was there but wife was not.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:04 pm

Brock did indeed have his "wife" there with him.

Strangely he told everyone she was his "uncle" and called her Doug.

She was very nice though.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to CARVERFEST 2011