'Pandora' For Squeezebox Users !!!!!

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

'Pandora' For Squeezebox Users !!!!!

Post by Toy Maker » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:35 pm

My kid was playing her ipod yesterday on the porch, and said, Here I'll play some stuff you like. a couple seconds later, she was playing a bunch of Deep Forest tracks that I knew she did not have on her iPod...
I asked her, where did you get all these songs?? She said, "I'm on Pandora"
Being one that likes to keep up with the latest and greatest new toys, I felt stupid asking her what Pandora was... In the end, it's basiclly another Internet Radio feed.
The kick ass thing about Pandora is ITS FREE, (some restrictions apply) and all you have to do is type in an artist, and their system will build you a custom playlist of that artist, and others that fall into the same genera, and years.

My next question was, Ok, so how do we get Pandora to work on the Squeezebox ?!?! They all said, it can't. It's a Flash driver web app... ((like that was going to discourage me))
So I went web-digging... and here's what I found:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87718
I believe you go to mysqueezebox.com, go to the 'App Gallery' and install Pandora. Then configure it, entering your account email and password info. Then to Player Settings and make sure it's enabled.
It's a bit confusing, I know. It's not really an 'app', and it's not really 'installing' anything. All you're actually doing is configuring the account and enabling a menu item to show up.
You can set up a Pandora account on their website, or right on the Squeezebox, all you need is an email address and a PW.
COOL APP... TONS of FREE streaming music, and pretty much exactly what you want to hear all the time.
The FREE WEB APP iis supposed to be good for 40 hours of free music per month, and then .99 for the rest of the month, or you can pay $36 for a FULL YEAR on unlimited use.
But for some reason, running Pandora through the Squeezebox is NOT using up any of the 40 allotted hours... I'll let you know if it cuts out in the next couple days or not.

http://www.pandora.com/

Pandora Radio (NYSE: P) is an automated music recommendation service and custodian of the Music Genome Project available only in the United States. The service plays musical selections similar to song suggestions entered by a user. The user provides positive or negative feedback for songs chosen by the service, which are taken into account for future selections.
While listening, users are offered the ability to buy the songs or albums at various online retailers. Over 400 different musical attributes are considered when selecting the next song. These 400 attributes are combined into larger groups called focus traits. There are 2,000 focus traits. Examples of these are rhythm syncopation, key tonality, vocal harmonies, and displayed instrumental proficiency.
The Pandora media player is based on OpenLaszlo. Pandora can also be accessed through many stand-alone players, such as the Roku DVP (formerly Netflix player) Reciva-based radios (from companies like Grace Digital, Sanyo, and Sangean), Frontier Silicon-based connected audio systems, Slim Devices, and Sonos[1] product(s). On July 11, 2008, Pandora launched a mobile version of their software for the Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch through the iTunes App Store. Pandora is also available for Android phones[2] (such as the Motorola Droid), BlackBerry platforms, WebOS (used on the Palm Pre and Pixi), and Windows Mobile devices. Pandora was the provider for MSN Radio until MSN discontinued their internet radio service on June 18, 2008.[3] A modified version of Pandora has been made available for Sprint Nextel.
The service has two subscription plans: a free subscription supported by advertisements, and a fee-based subscription without ads. A free account user may reach the streaming limit of 40 hours per month, and continue unlimited streaming by paying $0.99. There are also advertisements in "Pandora Mobile" for mobile phones and the "Pandora in The Home" computer appliance. Most users choose the free subscription.[4]
As of March 2010, Pandora had 700,000 tracks in its library and 48 million users who listened for 11.6 hours per month on average.[5]
In May 2010, Pandora was named in Lead411's "2010 Hottest San Francisco Companies" list.[6] In January 2011, Pandora met with bankers to consider a possible $100 million IPO.[7][8] The company officially filed with the SEC for a $100mm IPO on February 11, 2011.[9] Pandora officially began trading on the New York Stock Exchange with ticker symbol "P" on June 15, 2011 at a price of $16/share, giving them a valuation of nearly $2.6 billion.[10]
During the first three months of its 2011 fiscal year, Pandora reported $90.1 million in revenue with a $300,000 loss. [11]

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Re: 'Pandora' For Squeezebox Users !!!!!

Post by OconeeOrange » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:10 pm

I have posted about Pandora a few times.
I have a paid subscription even though I don't play it much.

If you play with it just a little, you will see that it is incredible !!! It is just GREAT !!!!!

They went public this week.
The experts believe the stock is not a buy as the big players (Amazon-Apple-Google) will move in and it will not be able to compete as it has lost money for years.

Too bad as it is an incredible thing.
You put in an artist or a tune and they reply with choices. You say yes or no and quickly they zero in to what you want. You can have many different "stations".

I look for a buy out here this year.

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:31 pm

if pandora is flash, then how does it run on my iphone. did apple do something different or what.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

AlexSauter
Site Admin

Post by AlexSauter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:46 pm

angelod307 wrote:if pandora is flash, then how does it run on my iphone. did apple do something different or what.
Do you have the app or do you use the web browser? The app has been retro fitted to the apple iOS but as far as I know, the website shouldn't work on your iPhone.
My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:16 pm

I use Pandora with my phone for at work, but the quality I find to be only adequate for computer speakers. I have not heard any REALLY good quality via Pandora....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

AlexSauter
Site Admin

Post by AlexSauter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:29 pm

TNRabbit wrote:I use Pandora with my phone for at work, but the quality I find to be only adequate for computer speakers. I have not heard any REALLY good quality via Pandora....
headphones are your friend! I suggest Skullcandy INK'D or Bose In-ear earbuds. The Skullcandy's are between $15 & $25 and the Bose are $75 - $100.
I use both all the time, the Skullcandy earbuds are WELL worth the money. The Bose have a better bass end, but not enough to justify the extra $50 - $75... (don't buy them off ebay, you will get ripped off)

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:39 pm

I bought a few after the cops kept showing up.
I got some high end buds that I can't fit to my ear even with all those adapters.
I got a high end thing that covers my ears and that sounds good.

Still, at the end of the day, I like music in the air.

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 pm

Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

AlexSauter
Site Admin

Post by AlexSauter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:50 pm

I completely agree OO, I LOVE the sound of my AL III's over ANY set of headphones. (I was thoroughly disappointed with the $12,000 Sennheiser headphones, I thought my skullcandy's sounded better...)

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox

AlexSauter
Site Admin

Post by AlexSauter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Very pretty, how do they sound?

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:58 am

Alex, a good pair of headphones (which I have) don't make shit sound any better...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Return to “Internet Radio”