Sunfire 300

Sunfire Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Sunfire 300

Post by Snoop65 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:15 pm

kingman wrote:
OconeeOrange wrote:
kingman wrote:NO...I have the 600x2 plugged into a power bar....

Yea, me too.
I paid like 75 bucks for mine.
They rate them in joules or something.
I run a dedicated line in just for the audio (computer/music server on a separate line).

When I leave the listening area, I flip the audio switch off.
The computer goes 24/7 to power my weather station. http://I'm a Fucking Asshole.typepad.com/ycweather/

Back here in the woods, we have "blips" so I also have a battery backup that takes care of that. They are cheap and well worth the money to your music.

Sorry, in a "senior moment" just diverted snoops post -- :shock:

Here is a photo of my snoopy to make amends :
Rosey.jpg
What's the name OO???

LOL! :D OconeeOrange
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:28 pm

Snoop65 wrote:
jjptkd wrote:If your friends speakers are bi-ampable he might consider a 200x5 instead or the newer series II, 225x5.

http://www.vxm.com/21R.116.html

"The Tracking Downconverter, in conjunction with the Sunfire's common power supply design, dynamically allocates power from any of the five underutilized channels to one that immediately needs it. Thus, in, the biamped Cinema Grand, all the power from the unused center channel can automatically be diverted to any of one the four active stereo channels. The vertically biamped Cinema Grand can therefore output 400 continuous watts per left or right channel into an 8 ohm load, with 200 watts from the unused center on standby reserve.

All that having been said, it now becomes very interesting to compare the Cinema Grand with its stereo-only sibling, the Sunfire. The latter costs $2,175, and puts out 300 watts/channel into 8 ohms, or 600 watts, total. But for the extra $200 bucks the Cinema Grand costs, you can get up to 400 more watts at 8 ohms, total (four channels driven, plus unused center), including all the power and control that vertical Biamping provides. Hello? Do we smell a high end bargain here?"

He is using Dahlquist speakers. I'm not sure if you can biamp them. He also has a Audio Research SP-14 preamp that I think would match up well with a Sunfire amp.
I don't remember them being capable of bi-amplification....
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:39 pm

^ what he said .... I run mine off a monster power conditioner- just power down the pc and the whole system shuts down.
I highly recommend one....clean power makes a HUGE difference in the sound you will get out of any system!

The 300x2 seems to be going in the 800-900 range recently. I have been looking for one myself to active bi-amp- but am considering a tube amp now instead to power the mid / highs and use the Sunfire for bass.

Cheers!

mrjazz1959

Post by mrjazz1959 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:28 pm

I just paid $700.00 for mine plus shipping, and my goodness this baby rocks!!!

Duke Ellington: “I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. ”

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:44 pm

Congrats!! Those are fine amplifiers, good price too. =D> =D>
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Return to “Sunfire Home Audio”