Is it safe to bridge my Sunfire amp?

Sunfire Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
Carv-it-up
TFM-6cb

Re: Is it safe to bridge my Sunfire amp?

Post by Carv-it-up » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:34 pm

Carv-it-up wrote:Does anyone have the schematics to show how to make the adjustments to the Sunfire amps to lower the Limiter that is set sorta too high? I heard there is/was a mod called the Apogee Mod. If I had that, my tech. & I could do it without having to ship the amp out of state.

Can someone see if Bob or someone who is close to Bob can talk with him to see if he can release the Mod info. and shoot it to me and/or post it here on the forum for all.
If Bob says there is some kind of legal thing that prohibits the release of that info. I would understand. I just would be grateful for someone checking with him to see?
Bump
Two Signature Cinema Grand Series II amplifiers (both are used in bi-amping my Infinity IRS Beta speakers)
Cherry 180's (use them off & on to power the mids/highs tower of IRS Beta speakers)
Sunfire Signature 600~Two amplifier (used on Thiel CS5i)
Carver TX-12 tuner
Own & working, but not in use right now - Sunfire Series II amplifier + two Carver M500t MKII amplifiers + Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamplifier preamp w/ phono & remote.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:02 pm

MRHP wrote:
Magnaryder wrote:The BobFather remarked with 125volts on tap the Lightstar would match the Sunfire 600X2 for power output
ray
I remember him saying that also, must have been standing beside you or he repeated it in a different conversation.
Eric
IIRC he made that comment to me at CarverFest in '08 or '09

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:11 pm

If it's not tripping off, then you wouldn't gain anything. Modding to change the trip point probably is just putting it that much closer to the point of endangering the output devices. That just seems like asking for it....

Another direction....why not rewire and lighten the load if you must run that many drivers. I run 4 woofs per channel and they move air having that much cone area. Too much series wiring isn't good....but there comes a time it might be the better option.

And I've not seen mentioned here the idea of adding a tad of resistance just to keep above a trip point. A very small amount of added would change things. Of course a lot of dissapation would be required. But that's another possibility in the bag of tricks.

And finally, if you need that much wattage...maybe it's the wrong drivers to begin with. If there is anything out there, its a bunch of woofers to chose from. Good god there is a bunch of drivers around for the low end!

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Carv-it-up
TFM-6cb

Post by Carv-it-up » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:06 am

Not thinking along the lines of multiple woofers dropping down to make a 1 ohm load anymore. I'm just asking about the MOD that was performed before by Sunfire to accommodate it's users with the very difficult to drive 1 ohm & slightly below 1 ohm dip of the Apogee and Infinity Kappa 9 speakers.
Requesting the info. now so that my tech. and I can perform the MOD procedure to my Sunfure amps, but it seems that know one has the procedure/schematics to do this MOD.
Two Signature Cinema Grand Series II amplifiers (both are used in bi-amping my Infinity IRS Beta speakers)
Cherry 180's (use them off & on to power the mids/highs tower of IRS Beta speakers)
Sunfire Signature 600~Two amplifier (used on Thiel CS5i)
Carver TX-12 tuner
Own & working, but not in use right now - Sunfire Series II amplifier + two Carver M500t MKII amplifiers + Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamplifier preamp w/ phono & remote.

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:05 am

The person with that knowledge would be bill flanery. I would give him a ring. He now has a repair service under his name.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

Return to “Sunfire Home Audio”