Depression -

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Depression -

Post by Toy Maker » Tue May 28, 2013 1:13 pm

In response to a post in another forum, I am adding a special section for those that want to share, listen and learn.
elgrau wrote:Yep; ok, Gary, continuing on that positive note: I concur about the exercise thing. After a good bike ride was just about the only time I felt somewhat normal during my period of depression. Also "counseling" which for me was long phone talks with my sis (and her husband) in Ohio. Again, after these conversations I'd feel normal for a while.. But what eventually cured my chronic fatigue was Cayenne pepper....don't laugh: from a book called "Left for Dead" I started taking this herb and it had two/three fold benefit: 1) It gives you "true" energy and makes you feel very industrious (unlike the "false" energy from the speed that they put in the so called anti-depression meds). 2) this herb cleanses all your major organs and this was key to defeating my chronic fatigue as it floods the liver with toxins from the candida yeast that has overgrown in one's body and the waste from these organisms is what literaly poisons you (to death in some cases). Probably should start/move to a separate thread all of our "depression treatments". Overlap with Gary's in at least these two areas (exercise and counseling/family and friends)...
Very good idea...

So here it is !!!

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Re: Depression -

Post by TNRabbit » Wed May 29, 2013 11:12 pm

I've shared with a few people privately, but haven't made it public until recently.

On Feb 2 this year, I took an overdose of Vicodin (30 tablets) very much intending to check out permanently. My drinking had been pretty bad in the later half of 2012, & had gotten worse & worse after the 1 year anniversary of being unemployed. I had a huge fight with my significant other & decided to end it.

As luck (?) would have it , my significant other found me in bed at 5:30 in the afternoon & started asking me questions.....in my stupor, I apparently told her I'd taken the Vicodin & she called an ambulance. I remember bits & pieces of the next 16 hours, but the next day a psychiatrist asked me if I thought I had a problem with drinking, to which I replied " I don't THINK so...do you think I have a problem?" (ROFL) Both he & my SO agreed that I did & asked if I would be willing to try a 3-4 day program in the hospital to help me.

(continued)
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Wed May 29, 2013 11:23 pm

(continued) To make a long story short, I spent a week in detox/psych, then agreed to go to rehab for 3 weeks (that's actually all my insurance would pay). When I got out, had to move out as the SO & I split up over this (don't blame her; I had become a DICK), so I took some advice & moved into a Sober Living home in Fredericksburg, VA.

I've been here since Mar 2nd.

I attend AA meetings on a regular basis & am in the best shape I've been in a LONG time (except financially~).
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Thu May 30, 2013 7:29 am

Are you on antidepressants or anything now? I know depression isn't something you (just snap out of)
From what I've read, it's brought on buy a lot of things, and can also be counteracted by a lot of things.
Diet, meds, life changes etc...

Sorry to hear all the above. Trust me I know the feeling all too well.

I literally spent 3 weeks in bed once. The only thing I'd get up for was to go to the bathroom and take showers once in a while. Kids couldn't get me up, they brought me food that I wouldnt eat, work didn't matter...
This was right after coming home from CarverFest 2011 I was in bed till about the middle of November.

The thing that brought me out was meeting Evelyn. I still have no clue what brought it on, or why I felt soooo shitty.
Simce, we have both gone to Dr's to help treat our problems. Things are better now, be still a work in progress.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Thu May 30, 2013 8:07 am

I was on antidepressants for a while, but off now. Changed my diet, my lifestyle, my location, I hike all the time & ride my bike as well. The BIGGEST change that helped the most was stopping drinking 16 hours a day~

:lol:
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Thu May 30, 2013 12:00 pm

Will chime in on this thread later when I can. But for now, I'll just say that in Germany (where they have nationalized mental health care and regular care...) they have a policy that says no one is given anti-depressants for depression UNTIL they are put on a regiment of a special form of natural B vitamins (called Max Stress B where I get them from...) that their research has shown to cure the patient's depression in 90% of cases...

I also like Kurt Vonnegut's thoughts on this as well (but hate his lib politics..) : bad or good chemicals in our brains totally control how we feel... But obviously there are lots of ways to get bad chemicals (and good ones..) in and out of one's brain. But I basically agree with this tenet: you cannot will nor wish your way out of the depression that these chemicals cause. But aforementioned things (like exercise, and diet, etc.) can remove bad chemicals and put good chemicals in one's brain. This premise is obviously true as depending on what one ingests, his mood and outlook on life can totally change in a matter of minutes. The key is to make real, natural changes and choices (like a regular exercise routine, moderate or NO alcohol useage, a good healthy diet that gives the body all the things it needs and the energy to cope....) and not quick, temporay fixes like drugs and/or alcohol...
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

mbskeam
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by mbskeam » Thu May 30, 2013 2:52 pm

I was on this for about 2-1/2yrs
http://depression.about.com/cs/citalopr ... lopram.htm

when I stopped taking this I tired to stop cold turkey....
bad idea, don't do it trust me....
had to wean my self off over about a month.
still had a few weird things going on for a while latter.

it made me feel as if I was in a fog of sorts, slowed my thought process down...etc
and I'm slow enough already.... :-$
Mbskeam

SILVER 7's
Amazing Line Source
2 SVS PB16 SUBS
#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
WTL Amadeus GTA+DV DRT XV-1t
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"

Shortcake
SILVER-7t

Post by Shortcake » Thu May 30, 2013 4:52 pm

I grew up in a house with a mother who was a manic depressed person. I know I get depressed, but do not talk about it or admit it when it happens for fear I will become the woman others call my mother, or because I have found, many don't take it seriously.

My kids are also depressed, and I know this form (MD) runs in the family. I try to fight it and find that what works for me is not wanting to me like her. Most times it works. Other times not so much.

I do know how depressed and lost people get, and don't take this next line for anything than how I feel from my own experience - I would never contemplate suicide. Not for any other reason but that I heard my mother threaten it almost every day of my life and say it was "our fault". I could never do that to my kids. But I do understand where that feeling comes from. I just figure I have to live long enough to find that "thing", that "one" who understand and cares enough to be there - or long enough to piss everyone off and just say fuck it. It's the in-between for me that sucks. And luckily, I am not manic, just depressed, because I would probably punch a few walls now and then. As a matter of fact, I do that very well sometimes, anyway.

And it is hard sometimes. Especially for those of us who are single and feel like no one is there to listen, even when they really are - we just don't realize it - or to just have someone say something nice. At least for me. I find I get more "compliments" and uplifting thoughts working than i do personally, so I have turned into a workaholic - but it keeps me here. When I have that someone who makes a difference, maybe my work will tone down a bit. And sometimes it does - but most times, you know where to find me - behind my desk, working.

Thanks for the thread - sometimes just saying it, makes it easier. And when all else fails - find a tree and scream. I hear they have some good ones down at CV.

Kisses and hugs, guys.
“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Scarabeo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:24 pm

Wow, This would have been the ONLY thread I would have been good for the past two years BUT Not now!!! A lot of you guys know my story ( I was hit from every direction in my life) ,,, Did I say if it could go wrong it did? lol Well if "F"ing did...lol

Any rate I am still alive doing better and taking the next step to a Happy life! ( I am or may be Dreaming but for now I have hope) \:D/

Now if I could just get some Gear and recover with some Tunes!!! lol
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...

cring08
TFM-55

Post by cring08 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:38 am

Scarabeo wrote:Wow, This would have been the ONLY thread I would have been good for the past two years BUT Not now!!! A lot of you guys know my story ( I was hit from every direction in my life) ,,, Did I say if it could go wrong it did? lol Well if "F"ing did...lol

Any rate I am still alive doing better and taking the next step to a Happy life! ( I am or may be Dreaming but for now I have hope) \:D/

Now if I could just get some Gear and recover with some Tunes!!! lol

Im sure the crew here can hook you up for Christmas!
Chris

Living Room/main System:
Onkyo tx nr 545
Sunfire 300x2
Sunfire CRM2’s
Technics SL 1950 Turntable
Little Bear phono pre
Polk Audio outdoor speakers wired to patio/pool

Bedroom system starting
Carver Amazings (ready to send to sea for ribbon rework)

Garage system 2:
Carver MXR-130
Teac reel to reel
Musical Fidelity X-10D tube buffer
BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer
Nikko eq2
Cerwin Vega HED's
Pioneer 100 disk changer
Pioneer VSX something?
Polk Audio 2500

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:33 am

As I move away from recent anger, I know what follows - depression. But the anger will kill you; the depression merely zombifys you. And it's more familiar to me - it seems I was born with it.

Exercise would help, but I'm too arthritic for much of that except walking, and right now it's too much like the North Pole outside.

My drug of choice is music, especially Beethoven's late string quartets. They are miraculous, written by a tortured genius as he slowly died of chronic lead poisoning. The depth of expression and the life-affirming joy in some of the movements is simply beyond explanation. No nasty side-effects, either.

I usually listen with headphones. You hear every nuance, and the enveloping spatial effect somehow adds to the otherworldly quality of the music. The recordings vary a lot in their insight to the music; try the 1970's set by the Talich quartet, available in a box set of all 16 of the composer's lifetime quartet output. They start out very good, from his pre-deafness years, and get better and better. You think about what he faced in life, yet he could produce music at this level. Make's one's own problems seem less overwhelming, somehow.

RobertR

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:16 am

Thanks, Robert. That just made my day a little better & I haven't even heard a lick of music yet~

tkd.teacher
Newbie 50+

Post by tkd.teacher » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:38 am

Robert R wrote:As I move away from recent anger, I know what follows - depression. But the anger will kill you; the depression merely zombifys you. And it's more familiar to me - it seems I was born with it.

Exercise would help, but I'm too arthritic for much of that except walking, and right now it's too much like the North Pole outside.
If you have access to a deep water pool, you can get some floats and do water walking/running. The nice thing about a lot of water exercise is that it is buoyant, and can take pressure off arthritic joints.

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:33 am

TNRabbit wrote:I've shared with a few people privately, but haven't made it public until recently.

On Feb 2 this year, I took an overdose of Vicodin (30 tablets) very much intending to check out permanently. My drinking had been pretty bad in the later half of 2012, & had gotten worse & worse after the 1 year anniversary of being unemployed. I had a huge fight with my significant other & decided to end it.

As luck (?) would have it , my significant other found me in bed at 5:30 in the afternoon & started asking me questions.....in my stupor, I apparently told her I'd taken the Vicodin & she called an ambulance. I remember bits & pieces of the next 16 hours, but the next day a psychiatrist asked me if I thought I had a problem with drinking, to which I replied " I don't THINK so...do you think I have a problem?" (ROFL) Both he & my SO agreed that I did & asked if I would be willing to try a 3-4 day program in the hospital to help me.

(continued)

At eighteen years old, i was there as i did the same. To my credit, the fire dept. was literally across the street when i dropped after waking up from a heavy valium dose......still it is a fight. I will not lie, sometimes i am disappointed, when i wake up.

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:39 am

TNRabbit wrote:(continued) To make a long story short, I spent a week in detox/psych, then agreed to go to rehab for 3 weeks (that's actually all my insurance would pay). When I got out, had to move out as the SO & I split up over this (don't blame her; I had become a DICK), so I took some advice & moved into a Sober Living home in Fredericksburg, VA.

I've been here since Mar 2nd.

I attend AA meetings on a regular basis & am in the best shape I've been in a LONG time (except financially~).
I knew you had a problem the time I visited, but I also knew it wasn't my place to say anything. I'm glad you're taking "steps" in the right direction. As long as you don't pick up it will get better, but you've got to want it more than the air you breath.....I know.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Make America Great Again

Return to “Depression”