Depression -

Robert R
TFM-75

Re: Depression -

Post by Robert R » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:10 pm

Ray - Here's some "tough love"

For the Atkins Diet: Switch from meat and potatoes to meat and non-starchy veggies, with all the butter you like. Potatoes are nearly pure starch, and corn is a cereal grain, not a vegetable. Eggs are great - don't let anybody tell you otherwise. And the meat can be as fat as you like.
If you cheat on the Atkins diet, it won't work. Even milk is too sweet - lactose can keep you out of ketosis. You simply have to ingest No sugars or starches at all, and don't make the blunder of using artificial sweeteners - they fool your pancreas as much as your taste buds - actually worse for you than sugar. Aspartame is toxic, pure and simple, under whatever new name Monsanto is calling it lately.

I never did Atkins, but I went to no sugar/ no white flour some years back, and it ain't easy. One or both of those are in practically everything Americans eat. You have to learn how to eat all over again. Your best dieting is done in the market - leave all that shit on the shelves. If it isn't in the home, you can't fuck up and eat a bunch in a weak moment. Just be sure to not go into the store hungry!
You can't eat at most restaurants - carry food with you. If you figure you can pig out now and then and get away with it, consider jumping off a cliff once in awhile - not a very good idea. The break from damaging eating has to be clean.

I've gotten to where meals are something I avoid (I didn't succeed at the Fest, and it cost me a huge, dangerous rise in BP). Ordinarily now I require myself to eat a little whenever I feel hungry - a LITTLE! But oddly, as long as I never fill up, just an apple or a mouthful of meat or nuts makes me feel somewhat full; sometimes just a gulp or two of milk or a bite of cheese. So I never permit myself to feel very hungry or over-filled. And I always have it planned what I will eat next. This morning - one fresh orange. Hour later, a gulp of milk and one egg (nothing else!) . 11-ish - another egg. Later, an apple. Then around 4:30 PM - a spoonful of almond butter and a gulp of milk. Around 7 - a small hamburger, again plain - it tasted wonderful, and I won't want anything until next morning's orange. Other days I'll have some buttered broccoli with the meat, or spinach, or carrots, or mushrooms sauteed in butter. Moderate portions of everything - remember, never get full, and never get empty.

Eat like this and walk a bit for exercise - you will lose a pound or more every day. I believe heavy exercising is overrated, and the latest studies support that opinion. Weigh yourself every morning. Drink water throughout the day - your kidneys will thank you. Monitor your blood pressure - if you are on BP medication it could actually get too low - you could start feeling faint. Then you will probably need to cut back dosage.

After body weight is at or near a level where it should be you can add 100% whole grain bread (in moderation), and experiment with other cereals. But to get ww bread with no sugar you might have to bake it yourself - I've done so for around 12 years now.

When you get enough weight off and want to try something sweet, fresh fruit is the thing. Not canned juice - eat the whole package, fiber and all - an orange, an apple, a peach, some melon or berries. I guarantee after no sugar for a good long period, those fruits will taste like candy. Go easy on the sweetest - grapes are too much, and some cherries, too - likely the sweetest are already your favorites, of course. We are all sugar addicts.

I never said this is easy - just doable. It is roughest at first, but knowing that helps. It's easier if you can reduce the stress in your life. Your whole family needs to help, and such a diet wouldn't hurt any of them, I'm certain. The other choice is maybe looking up at six feet of very unexciting dirt. Plenty of time for that later.

Robert R
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:29 pm

great advice robert!! =D> I think we all could benefit from this type of diet! :-k sounds like a very sound plan to me!! :) :-" 8)
2-Carver Crimson 275 vacuum tube amps,Carver C-1 tfm 42. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carver Amazing Silver speakers in oak, Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:44 pm

Sugar is poison! Lots of good vids on youtube about this, here's a quickie to wet your whistle:

Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:01 pm

This guy here is the anti-sugar guru. This is another short clip in hopes that you will have time to watch, he has many other full seminars on youtube that are full of information. The very first question explains how glucose is much better than fructose:

Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

helicopterpilotdoug
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by helicopterpilotdoug » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:59 am

Ray, you are doing great! Sounds like you have all the information and are applying it to what's needed to beat the problem. The stress you have been under also adds to the problem. I have Type II also, but it was not up there like yours when discovered. Luckily the Dr. saw the rise over time in my case, and got me on meds early.

Robert is a shining example of what can be accomplished by following some strict guidelines. His comments about eating a little at a time, several times a day, not letting yourself get hungry or eating yourself full, make a lot of sense. I have a very hard time doing that. It seems like my brain does not want anything to eat early. Then I eat a full meal around 10 to noon or so. I need to force myself to do like Robert suggests.

Keep the faith Ray! You'll do just fine.
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com

engtaz
"TAZ"

Post by engtaz » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:26 am

Magnaryder wrote:This year's 'fest was a very sobering and somber time for me. I've had struggles at work keeping staff persons and really feeling I'm being taken advantage of by my subordinates and the folks that employ me. This had really gotten to me and I've been really depressed, I'm tired all of the time and all I want to do is sleep. I couldn't find my way out.

I'm the guy who fills in whenever we need someone and of late it's just expected of me. I did get compensated in the past for my efforts, but no longer. I get taken away from the girls for weeks at a time without so much as a thank you. My staff takes time off or calls in late and fusses when I take disciplinary action or even suggest they actually come to work on time. Before CarverFest I instituted revised attendance policies. We are a small company with 17 employees. I really can't have folks not arriving to work on time as we support DD adults in their homes and at a sheltered workshop. Don't get me wrong I appreciate my job and each of the folks I employ. I bend over as far as I can to make their experience with us as rewarding as I possibly can. I have every certification each of my staff have and then some. I can(and do) fill in every position our company has, when I have someone out. Due to several of my staff making bad choices I have to work at one of our homes and miss Shaylee running this weekend. Now this isn't grousing, on average I've worked 30 hours of overtime a week this year. Our work while rewarding, can be thankless and unappreciated. The clients I serve make my work worth doing. I've started looking for other employment but I'll probably not find one that allows me the latitude I have here and pays this well.

I've been burnt out for the last year and I know it. I'm so busy I can only hit the high spots of my job and I know sooner rather than later it will catch up with me. So...I figure it is time for some changes.

I decided to make time in each day just for me. Lay in the grass look at the sky, ride the swings, kick back with a snifter of Crown Royal and listen to some tasty tunes...whatever 'I' want to do, especially spend time with my girls. I spent some time at the 'Fest looking up at the clouds, enjoying a fine cup of coffee and just day-dreaming. Kewl, I'm off to a good start.

Well, you know the other shoe had to drop.

Last Monday the VA office in Mansfield called and asked 'if' I wanted to continue services with them. HUH???? I wasn't aware they expired. I went to the office and had the lab draw blood Tuesday am. Later that day they wondered if I could come in and meet with one of the doctors. "Sure' says I, " How 'bout Saturday as my work schedule won't allow me to get there any sooner". "That's fine Mr. Campbell, we'll see you then." Now I know I'm fucked. Anytime anyone calls me Mr. Campbell I know it ain't good.

Saturday, I find out I've eaten myself into Type II Diabetes, mild hypertension and elevated blood pressure. I've neglected myself for so long my body has started to give up on itself. So I can stay the course and be dead in a couple of years. Jesse says, "piss poor planning equal piss poor results" ...Shit, what now? I called a couple of friends that also suffer Type II and ask advice. Diet AND exercise....mostly exercise. My father had Type II at the end of his life and it killed him, mostly because he wouldn't walk with my mother. He ate great, my mother learned to cook meals he needed to eat, but he wouldn't exercise.

I had lunch with my mother Saturday and had a long talk with her about dad...and now me. Saturday at 11am my BGL was 399. By Monday morning I'd driven it down to 204, better but still bad..really bad but it shows promise. I've been practicing Adkins as I've done it before. It's a carb management tool that promotes weight loss by making your body burn fat to supply energy by lowering carb intake to a point where your body enters Ketosis and you burn fat. Since I'm a meat and potatoes guy this kind of diet is easier for me. Saturday afternoon Sherry and I went shopping and bought foods necessary for me to live a while longer. Every night when the girls come home we walk 2 miles, they're so good to me...that is all AFTER they've had Cross-Country practice and run 4-6 miles. It's their idea for me to wait...they want to make certain I actually do it. I get some dad-time with TheTerrorTwinz(tm) and listen about their day.

I have a plan. I'll eat better, exercise daily and take some time out for me.

The VA shipped my meds and they came Tuesday. I'm taking them as prescribed and I hope my BP drops and my sugar gets to a manageable level. I plan to beat this thing. I have alot of support, good information, and friends that share Type II with me and are willing to pass on their experiences.

ray

on the mend
Good to hear Ray my friend. Family time walking is always better than in the house batter. LOL
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

stevek
TFM-6cb

Post by stevek » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:29 am

Robert R wrote:...but I went to no sugar/ no white flour some years back, and it ain't easy.
Robert R
Ray,
I'll second that. I've been trying to get off sugar for 30+ years. Finally did it in April (except for vacations).

I could never just reduce sugar consumption, eating a little set up a craving for more... sweets, snacks and food in general. Removing sugar(sweets) from my diet (including fruit) has resulted in an appetite that does not need to be fought and controlled. Hunger creeps up gently, not as hunger pangs or food cravings. Unlike Robert I mostly eat three meals a day. I eat Meat and get my carbs and fiber from veggies. Right now since I want to lose weight I am limiting my carbs. I am Ketogenic.

The lifestyle I follow is Primal Blueprint. It encompasses diet, nutrition, exercise, stress reduction and quality of life.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-b ... z3FkQb9Dce

Lots of good info on the site, read up and see if it makes sense to you.
Good luck,
Steve
Vinnie Rossi LIO Integrated Amp (12/15), Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S (10/16), 2 GR Research - Dual 12" OB H-Frame Subs(diy), Aurender N100H (2/18)
Workshop: Carver M500t(9/14), Carver M500t(8/12), 2 Carverfest Speakers(9/15 diy), Benchmark DAC (10/10)

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:36 pm

Ray, I was diagnosed type II about 5 years ago. I know what you're going through.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:22 pm

Stay strong Ray,,, positive energy sent your way!

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:47 am

As I've mentioned earlier my plan was to get some education, plan an effective diet and lean a bit on my family and friends for support. My stress level is down and so is my BGL....tonight it's 160. While not normal, it is where other folks I know with Type II tend to hover. I'm seeing my PACT team Tuesday and I hope to have it even lower. Adkins has gotten me this far and IN intend to ride it the rest of the way. Today I had 4 scrambled eggs for breakfast , a chicken salad from KFC for lunch, 3 cheese sticks for a snack, a protein shake before dinner, 2 grwilled Swai fillets for dinner and a ham and cheese omlet later. Sherry and I took a walk and here I am. With any luck everything will continue to work out for me.

I say all of that in order to say 'thank you' for the advice and kind words, I hope to keep it up.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

engtaz
"TAZ"

Post by engtaz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:37 am

Your doing great Ray. Prayers with you Brother.
engtaz

C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup

sea
TFM-35

Post by sea » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:28 am

Glad to hear you are doing well. Keep it up.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:27 pm

I had to do an overnight last night and it has messed up my entire day as far as my BGL goes. This morning before my meds/breakfast it was 194. This afternoon it was 148. This evening after 2 miles on the treadmill and a pretty decent chest/back workout in was back up to 168. WTF!!!!! All I had to eat today 6 sausage links and a grilled chicken breast and I can't figure out why it is still up. Although I'm in Ketosis it is limited to between 15 and 40 mg/dl. I've practiced Adkins in the past and went into Ketosis MUCH quicker. Anyone know if this is a facet of Type II Diabetes or what?

Tomorrow I see my PACT Team at the VA, maybe they can shed some light.

ray

BTW, thank you for all the support folks!! It is very appreciated.
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

engtaz
"TAZ"

Post by engtaz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:07 am

Ray, those thing fluctuate. Don't worry about the ups and downs daily. Your in this for the long haul. Prayers with you bro.
engtaz

Shortcake
SILVER-7t

Post by Shortcake » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:03 am

Ketosis is a part of Type 2, and managing and monitoring is about all you can do. Water, water water and just because it is meat doesn't mean it doesnt have additives - if it doesn't look like it looked when on the animal when it is on your plate, there is too much junk in it.

here is a question for you - does your breath smell like alcohol - without having alcohol?

Sure hope your doc finds a happy medium for you, and you get it all under control.
“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

Return to “Depression”