Carverfest 2015 speaker build

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Carverfest 2015 speaker build

Post by frenchguy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:11 pm

at CF 15 I think we should build some speakers to match the smokie mountain season! now wouldnt these look great out on the deck at your cabin cranking tunes?? :lol: just bring some drivers & we can build a crossover! :-k maybe build a sub with a really big pumpkin?? :lol:
Attachments
pumpkin speakers.png
pumpkin speakers.png (243.36 KiB) Viewed 7546 times
Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Carverfest 2015 speaker build

Post by radioeng2 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:42 pm

You'd be able to "spice" up the music to taste!

Wait until you hit the BIG note at the climax of the song.... KA-BLEW!!!
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:47 pm

I dont wanna build squat next year!! We should all chip in and pay for Markie's entire stay as well.!!!!

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:11 pm

Zoot Horn wrote:I dont wanna build squat next year!! We should all chip in and pay for Markie's entire stay as well.!!!!
Thanks George! But I'd settle for an ice cold drink and some good music with friends!

Mark

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:21 pm

so if we are not building anything, what is the theme going to be for CF15? "its all about the food?" :lol: I am in trouble then because I gained 10# last time, if I have more time to eat it isnt gonna be pretty!! ](*,) :rolleyes: :lol: or maybe, CF15, its all about the ice cream? :lol: maybe that bucket we left in the freezer will still be there next year? :lol: I am ok with doing no building next year also! :-" 8)
Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:55 pm

Did someone say HALLOWEEN & BASS !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

BobSmi57
M-400t CUBE

Post by BobSmi57 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:51 pm

I'm with you George. I don't want to build squat next year either. I agree with Mark- an ice cold beer and some good music with friends sounds really good.

Bob

Shortcake
SILVER-7t

Post by Shortcake » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:39 pm

I will be bringing at least one "tent" for a group BBQ in the playpen area, especially after hearing Mark and Harry and Ray discuss how we need to mingle as an entire group more.

I say music, drink and food sounds good. I am sure you all can find some fun in all of that. We are way up on a mountain, we should be able to set up some sort of music outside and just jam it - boom boom boom.
“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:49 pm

radioeng2 wrote:
Zoot Horn wrote:I dont wanna build squat next year!! We should all chip in and pay for Markie's entire stay as well.!!!!
Thanks George! But I'd settle for an ice cold drink and some good music with friends!

Mark

+!

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Near the close of his time at the 2014 Fest, Bob was talking about a build for next year - you maybe guessed it: a speaker build. He's thinking along the lines of a unit the size and type of a pair of CRM-2s, stacked. It seems to me this would likely be a worthwhile project - easier to put together than electronics gear, and darn useful to own.

I just reminded him today on the phone, and he has some ideas for it, but nothing more - yet. He's busy, as usual, plus Peggy has her big production coming up in about seven weeks. They will both be coming to SW Florida in December (tentatively - remember, it's Bob!). Whenever they get here I'll pick the right moment and engage him in discussion about such a project, as to difficulty, quality, cost, etc.

My guesses: Difficulty - lots less than an electronic component. Quality - very good to excellent. Cost - certainly a lot less than if they were obtained new anywhere else.

It would help if I could give him some idea of the interest level of the Festers, so over the next two months give it some leisurely thought, yez all. Then early in the new year we can decide. It's never too soon, and we all know one thing for sure: the more time Bob messes with any speaker, the better it gets.

Robert R
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:06 pm

I would be in to do that robert!! I am sure the guys who said they didnt want to build anything next year will jump on the bandwagon also!! :lol: keep us posted as your conversations with bob progress!! =D>

BobSmi57
M-400t CUBE

Post by BobSmi57 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:10 pm

George, we may have to reconsider, as long as we have time for those cold drinks and music. Right, Shortcake--boom boom boom.

Bob

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:18 pm

Shortcake wrote:I will be bringing at least one "tent" for a group BBQ in the playpen area, especially after hearing Mark and Harry and Ray discuss how we need to mingle as an entire group more.
I say music, drink and food sounds good. I am sure you all can find some fun in all of that. We are way up on a mountain, we should be able to set up some sort of music outside and just jam it - boom boom boom.
We might be able to talk my father into tossing his (2) JL 13W7's in the back of the truck next year :shock:

sea
TFM-35

Post by sea » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:34 pm

I think building a speaker might be fun and maybe in my skill range.

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:39 pm

Bob has mentioned the idea of a speaker in the past. At least a couple years ago for sure. So it's been something he's had perculating for sometime. I wish we knew a bit more of what he's currently thinking of....

Personally, I'd wish the ribbon was Open Baffle style, as I prefer dipolar pattern speakers. Big surprise, right? But I see the need to maybe put a handful of decent sized components on a PCB for a crossover. Probably less than 30 minutes soldering. Maybe...maybe drill holes for a terminal mount on the back, solder wires to it and screw it on. Then wires from the crossover would either solder on drivers or use crimp on lugs. So construction would be pretty easy. Not likely to make a speaker box or even cut holes especially since a ribbon needs something other than a circle.

So with maybe a couple hours construction it'd likely be functional. So what do you have? Let's say Bob passes along drivers at a super price that only he can access. So can it be built at maybe 25-40% of retail?

I'd be in for sure. Somehow...surely there is a Bob twist in this somewhere. Maybe one of you guys that have hung around him out west the last couple years might know what he might be thinking.

I like the idea of you passing along interest, Robert and reinforcing the "lets do it!, to Bob. Might help to keep it forefront.

Mark

Return to “2015 Speaker Build”