Carverfest speakers up and running....

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Carverfest speakers up and running....

Post by frenchguy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:29 pm

you are the king Harry!! you even have the shirt that says so... :lol:
Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:25 pm

Looking good Al. =D>
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Who can smoke a Carverfest speaker faster than Martin?

Post by radioeng2 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:44 pm

Another candidate for the new CarverAudio CarverFest Speaker challenge....

Who can smoke a Carverfest speaker faster than Martin?

Up for the testing is this amplifier at a very nice price....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QSC-Powerlight- ... 2204wt_884

A QSC 6000 watt amplifier! Now you too can burn down your speakers before the end of the first song. No need for extended listening sessions to get the smoke to start curling out of the drivers...No more worry about your ears ringing the next morning....Heck, now you too can rip the guts right out of your cute little speaker! And...as a bonus...(if you're too cheap to have bothered with the stands), you might even be able to light the adjoining drapes on fire with this amp! Now...you too can be the life of the party some evening entertaining your friends and neighbors! Don't miss your chance for all the excitement. Just think of all the joy at all the flashing red lights in your neighborhood. You can proudly say, yes, it was you! Place your bid right now before this wonderful opportunity passes you by! Jump in to the fun....be a hero! Buy nnnnow!!
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Here is an option for a crossover to use with the CF speakers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paradigm-X-30-S ... 1578892496

The idea here would be to roll off the low frequency information from the main speaker and be instead sending those lows to a separate amp and speaker capable of the low end. So this would use the output of the preamp as it's input. Then you take the outputs of this unit to drive both the normal amp for the CF speakers, AND wire the low output to a separate amp and woofer arrangement. The idea being to unload the lows off of the CF speaker.

Many units available to do this crossover work. Just thought I'd point out an economical one that would work for this duty (or for Open Baffle augmentation use too).

Mark

EndersShadow
TFM-55

Post by EndersShadow » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:18 am

radioeng2 wrote:Here is an option for a crossover to use with the CF speakers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paradigm-X-30-S ... 1578892496

The idea here would be to roll off the low frequency information from the main speaker and be instead sending those lows to a separate amp and speaker capable of the low end. So this would use the output of the preamp as it's input. Then you take the outputs of this unit to drive both the normal amp for the CF speakers, AND wire the low output to a separate amp and woofer arrangement. The idea being to unload the lows off of the CF speaker.

Many units available to do this crossover work. Just thought I'd point out an economical one that would work for this duty (or for Open Baffle augmentation use too).

Mark
Mark, have you looked at the MiniDSP? I know James used one at one point as well.

The 2x4 RCA would allow you to connect 2 subs for stereo as well as being able to custom tailor your response with filters, etc. Its basically a computer programmed crossover.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:57 pm

EndersShadow wrote: Mark, have you looked at the MiniDSP? I know James used one at one point as well.

The 2x4 RCA would allow you to connect 2 subs for stereo as well as being able to custom tailor your response with filters, etc. Its basically a computer programmed crossover.

Oops...just saw this Dan. Yes, I'm familiar with the MiniDSP. I was just throwing up a simple and economical crossover for somebody/anybody thinking about this need for their situation.

The miniDSP is certainly a choice to be looked at for about anybody thinking of a crossover. Capable and economical.

Mark

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Who Can Smoke a Carverfest speaker faster than Martin?

Post by radioeng2 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:11 pm

An option for those that want to up the game and plan right from the outset to come out at the top of the "Smok'em" game....

Who Can Smoke a Carverfest Speaker Faster Than Martin?

OK...we have on the table, if you can see it through the initial smoke in here, options that include a robust 6000 watt amp!

Now bouncing around for discussion is running many Carverfest speakers all at once. This comes with risk. How can you get so many to go up in smoke and flame all at once? High stakes to consider here if you want to walk away the winner. So here is an option if your in the camp considering running many pair at a time...

Look to an old favorite source for all your stereo gear...where else but SEARS!!

http://www.sears.com/pyle-audio-home-a- ... xECNMPOP19

Where else could you get a stereo amp with a 1,000 watts (thats a hundred thousand milli-watts folks!!) for only the very reasonable outlay of just $86.99 per amplifier. Now if you're planning on trying to smoke a dozen sets of speakers at a time, you may really, really want to do it with that 6,000 watt beauty, but by going with the Sears special, you also have the strong possiblity of adding the smoke and flame from the AMP to the smoke and flame from the speakers! WOW!!!

You are just going to have to think big for this compitition! Martin took the early lead and you can tell he's holding his plans close to the vest for the next go around, but yes...he's got some really big plans to really up his game. So you must too! Sears to the rescue....

Mark

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Who Can Smoke A Carverfest Speaker faster than Martin?

Post by radioeng2 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:57 pm

As you can tell...the stakes are high for the now annual competition of...

Who Can Smoke A Carverfest Speaker Faster Than Martin?

So it's time to figure out while there is still time how to find the way to "Light 'em Up!"

Let's give ol' Al something else to look forward to next year....something to cheer about!!

....besides that!!

Let's Fire up those speakers!!

Load up and win this one for the Gipper!! It's going to take some serious Firepower!!!

hewlew1
"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post by hewlew1 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:13 pm

Think Cornhole Al.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

sea
TFM-35

Post by sea » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:01 am

Finally spent some time comparing the CF Speakers to my Plats. I am impressed. I listened to the same cuts on both. I have them sitting right next to the Plats but a little bit forward. The CF appear to play a little louder. I would turn off the amp and switch the speaker cables without adjusting the preamp. The volume appeared to be a little louder after switching the CF. I even listened to a couple of cuts using a Plat on the left and a CF on the right. As strange as this might be it was not immediately apparent that one of each was playing.

Bottom line..................I think they sound almost as good as my Plat Mark IV's. The CF soundstage is way wider. I have not even tried SH yet.

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:35 am

Ed - I found that for SH they need to be handled just like any other speakers, exhibiting the same old paradox: for SH, place them closer together for them to sound farther apart.
Best if the Plats aren't sitting there in such locations as to establish early reflections, which can interfere with the interfering signals from the SH.

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

helicopterpilotdoug
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by helicopterpilotdoug » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:31 am

Got mine finished finally and hooked them up to a 20WPC integrated tube amp first. They sounded a bit bright for some reason, maybe not enough power for the 4 mid drivers. Let them play for awhile and then switched over to the sunfire TG II as a pre and the 300 X 2 Sunfire amp. That made a world of difference. These speakers need good clean power to sound their best. I did play with the sonic holography and it sounded good. I need to experiment with placement a bit to find the best sound. The speakers are going through a break in period, and listening to them you can hear them changing as the drivers and caps break in. Have to say, I'm amazed at how low these speakers will go. I did not hook up the sub with them yet. I'm sure the sub will make them sound perfect! :D

I'm taking this set up to North Texas this weekend for a get together at Dskips. Wish I had the specs on them, because I know some of the guys will be wanting to know more about them. I looked through the speaker build threads and could not find any info on this. Anyone have the specs on these speakers?
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:39 am

I'm guessing specs would be very close to the Sunfire CRS-3c, same ribbon with four woofers.

From the Sunfire website:

Frequency Response 80Hz-40kHz
Power Handling 25-440W
Impedance 6ohm (nominal)
Sensitivity 90dB
SPL (max.) 117 dB
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:35 am

James posted some frequency sweep graphs on them somewhere.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

pindrop

Post by pindrop » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:47 pm

This was posted by James on the CS! site:Rough numbers....

20-400 watts
90-40kHz
6-8 ohms
90db efficiency
110-120db SPL

Return to “2015 Speaker Build”