Sonorous speaker kit - nicely done!

Daddyjt

Sonorous speaker kit - nicely done!

Post by Daddyjt » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:22 am

My apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I felt compelled to provide some feedback on the 2015 (Shit, has it been that long?) speaker kits that you guys designed.

A member on the other forum contacted me because he had bought one of the kits, and was not comfortable assembling them, to the point that they have spent two years living in the shipping box, un assembled. He asked if I'd consider assembling them for him, and while I am booked pretty solid and don't normally take on work like this, I figured what the hell... I told him I'd do it for a small fee, shipping, AND the understanding that I'd get to play with the finished product for a couple weeks before shipping back to him.

I opened the (heavy!) box when it arrived, and was shocked to find ZERO missing parts... damn, that's a great start right off the bat. I came over to the site, and was again shocked to find exquisitely detailed instructions - so detailed that I didn't even watch the videos (videos?!). Double damn! Needless to say, the kit went together without a hitch. In fact the ONLY issue I ran into was some air leakage in the mini xlr connector on the bottom of the speakers. Even using the silicone around the nut and threads, I still had a small amount of air leaking, as it turned out through the actual body of the connector itself (this kit had binding posts as the primary connection method). Again, VERY minor issue.

As for listening, I have to disclose that I've never really been a fan of sub/sat systems. That said, I paired the speakers with a Sunfire Signature sub, crossed at 80hz. I was quite impressed with the sound - the real win of this system, IMHO, is the sound stage - vast is the best description that comes to mind. The speakers have a voracious appetite for power, but as you all know, we have no shortage of that being Carver fans. I must say, it was a sad day when the boxing up and shipping came around. I thoroughly enjoyed both the build, and my time with the finished product. A true tip of the hat to the design, packaging, and tech support - nicely done indeed... kinda wishing I would have purchased a set.

Anyway, just felt the need to share my thoughts on the project, and give some well earned praise.

Mark
Too much to keep track of...

Currently enjoying Legacy Focus 20/20, driven by McCormak DNA 225, BillD C1, Oppo 105 FLAC

Robert R
TFM-75

Re: Sonorous speaker kit - nicely done!

Post by Robert R » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:42 am

Mark - So glad you enjoyed the build, and the sound of the CF speakers. Did you try them with the sub set at 100Hz? That was the recommended value.
If you really want a pair, PM James (Toymaker) - he might have enough parts around to make a few more, though for a 'one-off' the price would inevitably be higher than originally. You could probably get 'em in any color you wanted, though..

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:39 am

Bravo Mark! Bravo James!! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

hewlew1
"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post by hewlew1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:43 am

Mark If memory serves me the air leak was the keyway on the mini jack on the bottom. I just used a little silicone to seal it on the inside .
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

Daddyjt

Post by Daddyjt » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Robert R wrote:Mark - So glad you enjoyed the build, and the sound of the CF speakers. Did you try them with the sub set at 100Hz? That was the recommended value.
If you really want a pair, PM James (Toymaker) - he might have enough parts around to make a few more, though for a 'one-off' the price would inevitably be higher than originally. You could probably get 'em in any color you wanted, though..

RobertR
Robert,

I started at 100hz, but ended up at 80, as it just sounded better to my ears. In the interest of full disclosure, my listening space is about as bad as it gets - flat unfinished basement space of about 16x40, open joists on top, concrete floor, and stud walls on 3 sides. The sheer output of the speakers was quite a surprise, and as mentioned, the sound stage was incredible. It is definitely apparent that you guys put A LOT of research and work into these, and did not just slap them together. When my audio fund gains some ground, I will most likely reach out to James to see if he can throw a set together - at least the enclosures, as I could source all the other parts, if I needed to.

Mark

Currently enjoying Legacy Focus 20/20, driven by McCormak DNA 225, BillD C1, Oppo 105 FLAC

Daddyjt

Post by Daddyjt » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:04 pm

hewlew1 wrote:Mark If memory serves me the air leak was the keyway on the mini jack on the bottom. I just used a little silicone to seal it on the inside .
Ah, I didn't think of that. I just ended up covering the jack on the bottom of the speaker with a small piece of rubber adhesive pad, as the owner is using the rear mounted binding posts.

Super fun build, especially as there were no headaches, missing parts, or things that didn't line up.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Thank you for the great feedback !!!

We really tried to make a kit that everyone would enjoy. We knew quite a few kits were being shipped to people that would not be at CarverFest, and would need to be able to assemble the kits on their own.
Hopefully, no one struggled too badly :) I didn't hear of any horror stories, so I am assuming everyone made it through ok.

I wonder if we can do as good a job on a Subwoofer Kit ?!?

BrianT
Pair of Silver Sevens

Post by BrianT » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:49 pm

James

Even though I picked my speaker kit up at your house in Florida in 2015
I still have not opened the box, so I do hope all the parts are there :-"

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (black)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Devialet 440PRO Mono Blocks
Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable
Auralic Aires G2 Music Server
Audience AU24 USB cable
B&W 803D3 Speakers (black)
Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11

packratt
M-400t CUBE

Post by packratt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:12 pm

[quote="BrianT"]James

Even though I picked my speaker kit up at your house in Florida in 2015
I still have not opened the box, so I do hope all the parts are there :-"

Brian[/quote]

I'm almost in the same boat. Haven't gotten around to assembling yet either.

helicopterpilotdoug
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by helicopterpilotdoug » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:20 am

Toy Maker wrote:Thank you for the great feedback !!!

We really tried to make a kit that everyone would enjoy. We knew quite a few kits were being shipped to people that would not be at CarverFest, and would need to be able to assemble the kits on their own.
Hopefully, no one struggled too badly :) I didn't hear of any horror stories, so I am assuming everyone made it through ok.

I wonder if we can do as good a job on a Subwoofer Kit ?!?
Mission accomplished on the 2015 speaker build! =D> You hit it out of the park on that one James. =D>
I'm sure you could do the same for the Subwoofer build.
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com

Return to “2015 Speaker Build”