Made it home, Safe!

!!10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!! Sep 7th - 21st
Robert R
TFM-75

Re: Made it home, Safe!

Post by Robert R » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:45 am

Had an easy 5 hour post-Fest drive to Chapel Hill area on Wednesday PM. No problem getting gas – topped off in Hickory, NC, at $2.049. I-40 takes me to within five minutes of this place.

Still a long way to go to get to Florida, but that will have to wait until I finish at least the plumbing on this antique mobile home upgrade project. At the speed I go these days that job could take a month.

Stuffed the black AL-III'+'s into this POS trailer, but just got them hooked up Sunday night, with another ALIII for a center channel. Had to convert 'em back to bi-amp mode, i.e. disconnect the passive crossovers. Interesting to hear them in 9.5 x 12.5 room with 7' ceiling. The left and right spkrs are very close, but due to limitations imposed by the room, the center is over twice the distance. The DSP is set to account for this, with a 3.5 millisecond delay to L & R. They make a huge sound; with at least 400 watts per driver, they might blow this wreck of a trailer apart, saving me a lot of work.

Robert R
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

Robert R
TFM-75

Re: Made it home, Safe!

Post by Robert R » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:44 pm

Guess I broke the record for slowest to get home from the Fest. Even Dave Sauter beat me back – he's down from NYS for the winter. I finally got back here to Southwest Florida, almost a week ago. Been unpacking, sorting, cleaning, and arranging ever since - and sacking out, of course.
Been a long time since I was on line – forgot how much of one's day that can absorb.

In NC, where I was working on the old trailer, I did a lot of plumbing, tore a few walls down and rebuilt them, and did a bit of electrician's work as well. Thought it would take a month; it took two, and not finished yet, but now it's at least 'survivable'. Between stints (when my back required that I lie down) I again removed the crossovers from those black AL3+ that were at the fest, and biamped them with a pair of A-753x amps (center channel in each unused, so in effect they were A-500s). With a Sunfire Mark IV sub thrown in, the amount of bass in a little room with a 7' ceiling is overwhelming – had to use quite a different balance than what works in a more ordinary-sized living room. After about three weeks of tweaking, things sounded better than I've heard in a long time – the more of that voicing I do with these DSPs, the more I learn what to try for and how to get it.

Voicing a system is tricky, and time-consuming. So often you'd swear you have it just right, and then next day you play a different recording – some other voice - and it sounds terrible, maybe on just a few notes. Then it's hook the computer back up and make some changes. As the adjustments become just a matter of a few Hz or just a dB or two, you realize that finally you're about there.

BTW, a lot of my mental reference-standard for sound now resembles what I hear from the little Carverfest speakers...

Was here in my Florida place several days before I even laid eyes on James and Alex. I sack out early (to listen to music in bed), and they get home sometime later than that, and crash. Next AM they quietly steal out very early, before I get up. But there will be just a couple more weeks of that - then James' teaching semester ends, and so does that class, it seems, so he won't be going back. More normal hours will prevail around here then, and hopefully all of us will be sleep-deprived no more, and can work on some speakers, etc.

Not sure if Bob will be dropping in here during the holidays, but a few others are talking about showing up – we'll see what happens. Good weather here is one sure thing.

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

Return to “CARVERFEST 2016”