CarverFest Weather

11th Annual CARVERFEST 2017 September 6th - 20th
radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

CarverFest Weather

Post by radioeng2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:19 am

Seems like every year we have some variable in the weather forecast from hurricanes. Sure, the beautiful hills of North Carolina are a ways away from the various landfall locations of the storms, but some days later it does have effects up here. And it throws in some variation from the normal patterns being disturbed by all the intensity of those storms. This year we've got a monster in the gulf and another forming up to it's east. When they come ashore in the Florida gulf side, we do get significant rainfall usually a couple days later.

So what we see now may be effected in ripple ways from what's happening down on the gulf. A few more days any effect there should start to clear up. Looking a couple days ago, we looked to be on the dry side for the coming couple of weeks. This morning, I'm seeing a little more mention of some moisture, though not much of a concern. It'll be worth watching though as we close in on time to throw the last things in and drive away from home.

We do care about rain due to the roads on the hill. Many years back the roads were less than they are now and we had a lot of rain and you just about couldn't get up the roads to get to the cabins. I'm talking it was bad! Some real stories from that year. Now it's less of serious situation but none the less, we don't want heavy rainfall softening up things too much.

In general though, here is how it's looking right now...

We've been pretty wet ever since the big fires of late last fall after last year being real dry. This has been a wet year with streams bank full about all the time. Just managed to stay out of flooding problems. A couple weeks ago, the roadside streams in the park leading in the general direction of the cabins was running a bit high yet. Our summer seemed to be about two weeks in July. Very modest hot part this year as that would have usually been several more weeks of blazing muggy hot. We actually had some cool mornings in the end of July that felt like fall starting.

So this mornings extended forecast, has the days leading into the beginning of the fest looking like low 80's for highs and mornings in the upper 50's to around 60. Beautiful wx!!

First week of fest, looking out far enough it's a bit of a stretch to forecast...we see much the same....low 80's in the afternoons. Enough to enjoy the sun if you want to be out on the deck and might even feel hot in the sun. Mornings being in the mid 50's to only about 60 means pretty cool mornings!

So if we can keep the hurricane variable from goofing us up too much, we probably should be ready for a day or two to be rainy and have an umbrella for moving around between cabins. Moisture as forecast now doesn't look like a problem. But morning are looking cool enough you probably are going to be interested in having some light jackets or something long sleeved for a few hours. If you've got a favorite throw you like to use, you might like to have it with you for mornings. But all in all...the weather is just plain looking real good! Should be maybe just a touch cooler than some years.

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: CarverFest Weather

Post by radioeng2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:07 am

So the significant weather events in the Gulf have impacted the weather up here in the hills. We've now got moisture likely for several days this week. Wed-Saturday might have at least some rain either in Bryson City or in the area.

BUT...then the first fest week is still looking great....though they've slid the night time lows a bit lower. When we get up in the mornings, we could have a morning at 50! But lower 50's for morning coffee time on the deck for sure.

This is extended forecast, so it'll change a bit yet, but average for the first half of the fest is looking like daytime highs around 80 and early mornings about 54 or so. Sweatshirts first thing in the mornings....

Mark

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:40 am

As we close towards load up day and starting to drive....

The forecast is moderating a little for the morning lows, not as cool more like about 55 or so, and unfortunately there is a bit more moisture possible days showing up for week one. Mentions of down to around 50 for mornings has gone away.

About the same now looking way out for week two. But the path of the next hurricane, Irma, may be a variable yet to be seen. Hopefully, the eastern track they think more like out to sea will be the end result for it.

So looking at upper 70's for most days for highs. Around 55-57 for mornings. And potential for moisture on average about every three day though don't read that as rain being certain. Often it misses the area you're at or is just brief drizzle. All the vegetation here is for a reason.

Mark

PS...the CF wx forecast center will now be closed for a couple weeks for vacation. \:D/

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Hurricane

Post by treitz3 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:53 pm

We should be watching to the Southeast with the 4 or 5 that's headed our way. Could swing up Northwest as the models predict and offer superb weather.....but....

Tom
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:01 am

Here is the latest and greatest on the "other" Hurricane. It looks like we will be enjoying the typical perfect weather on areas surrounding the affected areas but......look at the models. If this thing goes inland, we will be expecting a lot of rain and possibly even heavy winds. Think about this when planning to come, if you haven't already. Packing up a rig is hard enough. Add rain and it becomes a PIA. Add heavy winds to that with a canopy of trees around you? Not good.

I would definitely advise that everyone bring an umbrella for each person and a pair of "trash" footwear that has good traction.

Tom
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:38 pm

Irma certainly has our attention here in Florida, especially with our vacation home in the Keys. CF may be up in the air for our attendance this year. Just depends on where that monster comes ashore and potential damage incurred, such as flooding which is always a major concern. \:D/
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

That sucks...

Post by treitz3 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Don wrote:CF may be up in the air for our attendance this year.
:(

Tom

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Post by oldtexasdog » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:35 pm

Don wrote:Irma certainly has our attention here in Florida, especially with our vacation home in the Keys. CF may be up in the air for our attendance this year. Just depends on where that monster comes ashore and potential damage incurred, such as flooding which is always a major concern. \:D/
Not much you can do about it. Might as well go somewhere safe and have a good time before you have to dive into a mess, if it hits. Just my opinion, and I understand your concern.
There are two holes in Daddy's head where all the money goes.

sea
TFM-25

Post by sea » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:02 am

Steady rain here this morning.

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Post by oldtexasdog » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:31 pm

How long is it forcast for? I am driving a mid size rental should I get a 4X4? :-s

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:47 pm

I wouldn't worry about the 4x4. The most treacherous part used to be going up to the cabins. That part has been redirected and is paved. Just make sure your tires are not bald and all should be well.

Tom

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Post by oldtexasdog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:25 pm

Any word on the Weather?? :-k

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:28 pm

8)

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Post by oldtexasdog » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:18 am

The weather here so far has been gorgeous and now it looks like Emma's going to hook on off into Tennessee and we may get some showers but I bet it still stays pretty

Shortcake
SILVER-7t

Post by Shortcake » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:08 am

A bit nippy in the morning, but no snow, so it doesn't matter to me.
“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

Return to “CARVERFEST 2017”