CarverFest 2018 Cabin Reservations (LOCKED)

12th Annual CARVERFEST 2018 September 5th - 19th
frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: CarverFest 2018 Cabin Reservations

Post by frenchguy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Sounds good, let's get back to our usual planning for CF 18, I sincerely hope that Mark reconsider as well, he should be here! Let's solve this & put it in the past! [-o< 8)
Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

trav0810
el douché
el douché

Post by trav0810 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Ed, I think that would be a very good fix for this current year, Ed!

BrianT
Pair of Silver Sevens

Post by BrianT » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:06 pm

frenchguy wrote:Sounds good, let's get back to our usual planning for CF 18, I sincerely hope that Mark reconsider as well, he should be here! Let's solve this & put it in the past! [-o< 8)
Al

That would be great, sorry for starting all this

Hope Mark reconsiders, we all will miss him.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (black)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Devialet 440PRO Mono Blocks
Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable
Auralic Aires G2 Music Server
Audience AU24 USB cable
B&W 803D3 Speakers (black)
Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11

trav0810
el douché
el douché

Post by trav0810 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:08 pm

BrianT wrote:
frenchguy wrote:Sounds good, let's get back to our usual planning for CF 18, I sincerely hope that Mark reconsider as well, he should be here! Let's solve this & put it in the past! [-o< 8)
Al

That would be great, sorry for starting all this

Hope Mark reconsiders, we all will miss him.

Brian

Nobody "started all of this". It was just something that needed to be addressed.

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:23 pm

Nobody "started all of this". It was just something that needed to be addressed.

Amen, Trav. It was something should have been forseen. Brian deserves many thanks for waking up some people.

RR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:28 pm

I appreciate everyone chiming in to have a collective and cordial discussion on this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=155&t=16238&p=171590&hi ... er#p171590

FWIW, the link above was the original unedited pecking order post. As mentioned before, this pecking order was made when the event was a 10 day event. Please keep your ideas coming. All are welcome and no one is above or below anyone else when offering any advice, suggestion or otherwise. ALL ideas are welcome, even from new members who wish to attend this year.

Let's please continue the polite and cordial discussion so that we may all come to an agreeable consensus that most *we can't please everyone* members can be happy with. Since this is a group event, it is my belief that the group should decide what is best moving forward. Not me or any one or two member(s) all by them self.

At a later time, I will chime in with my own personal thoughts/suggestions.

Tom
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:28 pm

sea wrote:I think everyone can agree that things are way out of control. I sincerely hope that we can find a way forward that brings Mark back home.

I think most all can agree that the wording of the now infamous Pecking Order, while well intended (at inception), could have unintended results and maybe outdated now that CF is officially a 14 day event.

I also think most will also agree that things have gotten way out hand based on what could happen but really never has. However, the prospect of new attendees attracted by the Amp Build makes the possibility perhaps more likely than before.

In an attempt at harmony, I make the following suggestions. This should not be intended as my trying to take over or assume any authority. I think we need to move forward with changes only with strong consensus.

For CF2018, the people who attended CF2017 will have absolute right to the same cabin as long as their desired length of stay is the same or longer than CF2017. George has requested cabin 1 and RobertR has requested cabin 2. Old Texas Dog has said he is not coming and 2 was empty last year so no conflicts there.

I would further propose that the cabins that were empty last year and the added cabins be allocated first come first serve with a minimum 7 day stay.

I further propose that we have a “business” meeting the second Friday night of CF2018 (or some other time when the most people are present). We can then collectively determine a path forward. We should have a provision to seek and accept input from past attendees that may not be present at that time. I personally think Wayne’s suggestion has merit and could be a good starting point.

I noticed that Shortcake is asking someone to post the latest cabin listing. I am sure that is a hot potato that no one wants to pick up. I am willing to take on the updating of the list if it would be helpful under the provisions above but only as a record keeper.

So……comments or suggestions. I would imagine that we would want at least 2/3 of last year attendees to chime in positively and that there be no strong objection.

Good thoughts Ed. Wayne's proposal is worth further discussion also and everyone else's. One talking point I would suggest with your input is to change to 2 of the last 3 years, (or another number) rather than just 2017 attendance for 2018 priority. That way if an "established" CF attendee could not make it for some reason in 2017 (hurricane in our case, maybe financial, health or personal in someone else's case, etc. ) they would still be protected for 2018, if need be. My two cents.

Keep the positive suggestions coming everyone.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

Shortcake
SILVER-7t

Post by Shortcake » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:51 pm

Don wrote:
sea wrote:I think everyone can agree that things are way out of control. I sincerely hope that we can find a way forward that brings Mark back home.

I think most all can agree that the wording of the now infamous Pecking Order, while well intended (at inception), could have unintended results and maybe outdated now that CF is officially a 14 day event.

I also think most will also agree that things have gotten way out hand based on what could happen but really never has. However, the prospect of new attendees attracted by the Amp Build makes the possibility perhaps more likely than before.

In an attempt at harmony, I make the following suggestions. This should not be intended as my trying to take over or assume any authority. I think we need to move forward with changes only with strong consensus.

For CF2018, the people who attended CF2017 will have absolute right to the same cabin as long as their desired length of stay is the same or longer than CF2017. George has requested cabin 1 and RobertR has requested cabin 2. Old Texas Dog has said he is not coming and 2 was empty last year so no conflicts there.

I would further propose that the cabins that were empty last year and the added cabins be allocated first come first serve with a minimum 7 day stay.

I further propose that we have a “business” meeting the second Friday night of CF2018 (or some other time when the most people are present). We can then collectively determine a path forward. We should have a provision to seek and accept input from past attendees that may not be present at that time. I personally think Wayne’s suggestion has merit and could be a good starting point.

I noticed that Shortcake is asking someone to post the latest cabin listing. I am sure that is a hot potato that no one wants to pick up. I am willing to take on the updating of the list if it would be helpful under the provisions above but only as a record keeper.

So……comments or suggestions. I would imagine that we would want at least 2/3 of last year attendees to chime in positively and that there be no strong objection.

Good thoughts Ed. Wayne's proposal is worth further discussion also and everyone else's. One talking point I would suggest with your input is to change to 2 of the last 3 years, (or another number) rather than just 2017 attendance for 2018 priority. That way if an "established" CF attendee could not make it for some reason in 2017 (hurricane in our case, maybe financial, health or personal in someone else's case, etc. ) they would still be protected for 2018, if need be. My two cents.

I like both. For whatever it's worth.
“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

sea
TFM-35

Post by sea » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:09 pm

Shortcake wrote:
Don wrote:

I like both. For whatever it's worth.
Just to be clear......my suggestions are only intented to get us through to CF2018. Hopefully we can collectively come up with a new system to move forward while we are at the CF2018.

trav0810
el douché
el douché

Post by trav0810 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:30 am

Exactly. I think Ed's proposal is a great idea for this year. It guarantees all of our returning Members their spots this year and gives us time to come up with a permanent system at a later time. I think that Wayne's idea of some white given for how long you have been attending has Merit. It will be interesting to see what ideas of others may come up with as well.

engtaz
"TAZ"

Post by engtaz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:18 am

When Carverfest turns to bitchfest. I dont need this in my life. Im a very Happy person, I look at the bright side of things. I stay away from things that are negative. Hope all turns out well for everyone but Im out too. Mark is one of the most respected people I know.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:03 am

Wow, missed all of this until just now, can't believe Mark has been run off! :-s

Seniority as in years attended should take absolute precedence no matter how many days planned to stay, the core group IS Carverfest, is it not?

Watershed profits should be the LAST thing on anyone's mind in terms of booking, especially on a year where there is a $2500 amp build "give away" as ALL rooms / spaces will get booked.

I would think that by extending Carverfest to two weeks splitting up the days into bite sized chunks would be encouraged as to allow more people to attend and keep individual costs down, why not let past attendees book what they can (within reason) and newbies fill in the gaps first come first serve?

Maybe the month of January (and before) should be set aside for previous attendees to schedule their stay and not even open up scheduling to first time attenders until Feb 1st? That way those with "seniority" have time to stake their claim and not have to worry about losing their spot.

Just my two pennies.. hope this all gets worked out!
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

trav0810
el douché
el douché

Post by trav0810 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:07 am

Mark wasn't run off. I like Mark, and I have always enjoyed talking to them. His wealth of knowledge is spectacular and his contributions to the Fest are vast. Mark was contacted by several members of the form about the pecking order, and new attendee policies. People did not agree with the agenda that he and Ray were promoting. Mark had the opportunity to open up a discussion among group members to determine what everyone thought would be the best plan of action. He chose to leave rather than have an open discussion.

I don't know of a single person that wanted to see Mark leave. Or wanted to see him absent from the Fest. What people wanted was a voice and how their Festival is ran. They wanted some say in what kind of priority would be given to returning members versus new attendees. I don't really believe that that was an unacceptable or unreasonable request

You hit the nail on the head with the fact that watersheds profits should not be a priority over the enjoyment of the attendees. That was the main topic of dissent.

AlexSauter
Site Admin

Post by AlexSauter » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:42 am

Im staying out of the discussion, and unless James changes my mind for me, I'm not coming.
The Fest use to be fun for me, but after "work" became involved, it lost the vacation feel. For free I can stay home and work my ass off, hell, I'd be making money that way! :lol:

I will miss most, and it's disappointing that things happened as it has, but that's life!
My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone

trav0810
el douché
el douché

Post by trav0810 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:06 am

AlexSauter wrote:Im staying out of the discussion, and unless James changes my mind for me, I'm not coming.
The Fest use to be fun for me, but after "work" became involved, it lost the vacation feel. For free I can stay home and work my ass off, hell, I'd be making money that way! :lol:

I will miss most, and it's disappointing that things happened as it has, but that's life!

That's a shame. There are enough regular members, and people who attend year after year, that there should not be an excessive workload for any one person it should be spread out amongst a group of people. There are more than enough people willing to lend a hand.

I know that many of us here would love to see your family back at the Fest. I only got to spend my first fest with you guys, and I have missed you the last couple years. Personally, I feel that the Sauter family is an integral part of Carver Fest and hope that there is a way that we can get you guys back.

Return to “CARVERFEST 2018”