2018 Carverfest Tube Power Amplifier Build

12th Annual CARVERFEST 2018 September 5th - 19th
UncleMeat
TFM-25

Re: 2018 Carverfest Tube Power Amplifier Build

Post by UncleMeat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks Alex, I was just about to merge the lists but you beat me to it.

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:31 pm

To all who regret that I briefed Bob on the general situation - I regretted it too; hated it. So far the damage is repairable. But consider the alternative - another six months of uncertainty about cabin poaching, and bitching about it. Do you really think that we've seen the last of opportunists who want a Carver tube amp at a fire- sale price? Please...

Like everybody else here, I did what i thought was best for the group. If we want to impress Bob with our intelligence and maturity, we have only to do a stellar job of setting and enforcing the regulations in future.

Anyway, the party's over for non-Fest members. After e-mailing him a summary of questions and problems, I talked with Bob quite a while. First about the amp kits - the design is about done, as done as Bob ever gets with anything he loves. He hasn't tried it with KT-150's yet, but will at some point.

Then we talked about the Fest. Bob, just like all Fest-goers, hates it that there has been strife. He has made some hard decisions about the amp-build situation:

All Fest goers can buy a kit at the base price, and I got him to go for a second kit at that price, too – as long as it's for your own use. Fest goers will be defined as those who attended any Fest as far back as 2015, even if just for a day. That proviso adds just a handful of people to the eligible list. All will be at the same price, roughly $575 - I think that's with 6L6's; higher performing tubes will naturally cost more, but Bob hasn't done that math yet. When I called back for this info he was working at his bench, so I got lost as soon as possible – some things should not be interrupted.

All those who signed up to attend up after the Dec. 11 build announcement do not qualify (unless they meet the aforementioned 'previous attendance' requirement). They can get kits, but at a considerably higher price.
Non- or new Fest people who were established Forum members before Dec. 11 but who only inquired/announced about coming to the Fest after the kits were announced on that day can buy a kit, but at a more real-world price - $1750, says Bob. Hate to bring that news, it would have been something less if it were up to me, but this seemed to Bob the best way avoid lasting damage to the Fest, until the future rules get sorted out.

The general public is not eligible for any kits, but anyone can buy an amp when the final version hits the market. This non-kit version of the amplifier is expected to be priced at $2750 when it goes into production and reaches the dealers; date not set at present.

We will need to get a ballpark count of amps for Bob. So chime in – many said they might get two, depending on the price. So now we have the ballpark price. No discussion yet about prepayments or deposits, and I hope to not be involved with any of that.

RR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:11 pm

One for me please

Shortcake
SILVER-7t

Post by Shortcake » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:15 pm

I want one.

Thanks.
“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

hewlew1
"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post by hewlew1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:54 pm

2 for me please
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

AlexSauter
Site Admin

Post by AlexSauter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Updated list that fits within the guidelines that Robert Posted
If I read this correctly, anyone who has attended as far back as 2015 who is coming this year has the ability to purchase up to (2) amplifiers,
any new Fest'ers who posted their attendance before Dec. 11 are eligible and there will not be outside shipping, even to past attendees.
Anyone who was there a previous year that was hemming and hawing about coming, this may be a deciding factor for you. (Hint to Trav) :-"
With that in mind, this is the list to the best of my knowledge:

35 members interested with a current minimum of 44 amplifiers, current max of 49.

Members safe based on past/current attendence
-------------------------------------------------
hewlew1 - 2
frenchguy - 2
radioeng2 - 1
Magnaryder - 2
Shortcake - 2
Morris - 1
Toy Maker - 2
sea - 2
BrianT - 1
kingman - 1
MRHP - 1
Don - 1
mbskeam - 1
Zoot Horn - 1
Robert R - 1
dennismiller55 - 2
BobSmi57 -1
loner_t - 2
Martin1970 - 2
UncleMeat - 2
Dnspy007 - 2
treitz3 - 2
Jerry & Nikki - 2
trav0810 - 1

from the CS forum that are coming
Greg and Jenny - 1
Ar9Jim, Jim Clark - 1
AndrewJohn - 2
DCL - 1
HappyTrails - 1
BarryG - 1

LIMBO - possible attendees / verification
peck555 - 1
jldeni - 1
engtaz - 1
Chiroacademy 2

I am sure robert will get with me to update this if there are any errors, the only one i'm truly unsure of is IamJohnGalt because I cannot remember who he is, or whether he is attending this year.
My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone

UncleMeat
TFM-25

Post by UncleMeat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Alex posted the updated list, so no reply as to 'count' needed.
Last edited by UncleMeat on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loner_t
Newbie 50+

Post by loner_t » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:03 pm

May I request a second amp, if no one objects. 8-[

UncleMeat
TFM-25

Post by UncleMeat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 pm

I think OldTexasDog had said earlier he could not attend this year.

Trav has stated in previous discussions that he will be attending, at an offsite location if nothing is available at Watershed. I was going to update the prior list I had posted, just didn't get to it.
Last edited by UncleMeat on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:09 pm

2 for me and I'd bet that Jerry would like 2 as well. I will call him to confirm tomorrow and let you all know.

Tom
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

iamjohngalt

Post by iamjohngalt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:46 pm

AlexSauter wrote:Updated list that fits within the guidelines that Robert Posted
If I read this correctly, anyone who has attended as far back as 2015 who is coming this year has the ability to purchase up to (2) amplifiers,
any new Fest'ers who posted their attendance before Dec. 11 are eligible and there will not be outside shipping, even to past attendees.

I am sure robert will get with me to update this if there are any errors, the only one i'm truly unsure of is IamJohnGalt because I cannot remember who he is, or whether he is attending this year.
I have not attended the fest before and had not announced that I was attending until the amp was mentioned, so under your rules I am not eligible, but I will be there for the music and to meet friends. :-p
Components: Power Amps-Carver m4.0t, 1.0t, 1.5t, TFM22. Sherbourne 5/5210. Preamps: Carver C-1, Music Angel, Emotiva UMC-1. Speakers: Magnepan MG3a, MG2.5, MG1.6, Athena AS-F1, Emotiva 4S. Source: Dell Precision T5500. Wheels: '99 Miata 10AE.
"Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision. The great creators—the thinkers, the artists, the scientists, the inventors—stood alone against the men of their time. Every great new thought was opposed. Every great new invention was denounced. But the men of unborrowed vision went ahead. They fought, they suffered and they paid. But they won."
Bob Carver belongs in such company as these.

mbskeam
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by mbskeam » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:25 pm

when 1 is good, 2 are better.
2 for me....
Mbskeam

SILVER 7's
Amazing Line Source
2 SVS PB16 SUBS
#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
WTL Amadeus GTA+DV DRT XV-1t
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"

BarryG
Newbie 50+

Post by BarryG » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:29 am

I am looking forward to this build! It’s good to be able to log back in!
BarryG
Carver C-11 (BillD modified by Dennis Miller), Carver SD/A-390t, Carver C-9, Carver M-1.0t MKII Opt. 2, Carver M-500t MKII (RichP’s final MKII before retirement), Carver TFM-45, TEAC DAC, Tube Buffer (MusicFidelity Clone), Sony Blu-Ray Player, Technics SL-7 turntable with Technics 310MC moving coil cartridge, Polk SDA1B’s (upgraded and modded by me), Carver ALS (Original upgraded), Interconnects by Doug, Speaker Wires by Doug, Salamander Archetype Equipment rack X2.

B-Man

Post by B-Man » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:30 am

Hey Alex - I attended in 2015 (I bought 2 pairs of the speakers) and I am planning to attend this year. Am I not eligible for the build ?

Last edited by B-Man on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevek
TFM-6cb

Post by stevek » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:41 am

Robert,
If you go with the 6L6 version of the amp what is involved with upgrading in the future. Is it a bias resistor change. Or does the KT-88 version have a different circuit board?
Steve
Vinnie Rossi LIO Integrated Amp (12/15), Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S (10/16), 2 GR Research - Dual 12" OB H-Frame Subs(diy), Aurender N100H (2/18)
Workshop: Carver M500t(9/14), Carver M500t(8/12), 2 Carverfest Speakers(9/15 diy), Benchmark DAC (10/10)

Return to “CARVERFEST 2018”