FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:16 am

A Tribute to Bob Carver

<<

devnull

TFM-35

Post Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:09 am

A Tribute to Bob Carver

Eh, what can I say? I feel Bob provided a avenue to me for buying reasonably priced equipment that provided power above what I'd generally have had available. Granted, there are models above what I purchased, but looking at my price point, I feel that I got a great product that was durable. Can't ask for much more than that. I've got a world of respect for him. Thanks for the great products over the years, Bob!
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." —Dean Martin
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:12 am

Re: A Tribute to Bob Carver

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:33 pm

Bob Carver was pretty much responsible for getting me into high-end audio. When I was in college in the mid-1980's, I subscribed to Audio magazine, and used to pretty much memorize the "Audio Buyers Guide" every year, and although I lusted over Apogee and Acoustat speakers and Krell, Bryston, and Mark Levinson electronics, there was no possible way I could afford that stuff on a student's budget. But Carver gear was certainly within my price range...

My parents bought me a big pair of BSR 3-way speakers from the venerable DAK catalog my Junior year for Christmas, and I bought a small Technics receiver to power them. I also had an old Dual TT that I got in a thrift shop, and made my own cables. The summer before my Senior year, I saved up my money, and went to the only high-end dealer in the Wheeling area looking for a bigger amp. That dealer carried Carver, Conrad Johnson, Infinity, JBL, and soem pro brands. They has an entire room with Carver gear--M-500's pushing some really big speakers (can't remember which, but they weren't Carvers), and a C-4000 preamp, I think a Linn TT, and Carver amps off all sorts on display. Well, the M-500 was out of my pricerange, but the M-200t was just what I was looking for--reasonably priced, massively powered, and small. I bought one, and had the dealer special order a Z-Coupler so I could run it from the speaker outputs of my receiver (it had no pre-outs). Needless to say, my stereo rocked the house my senior year...

After graduation, I moved to the DC area, and started building my system in earnest. I ordered a BSR Equalizer from DAK, picked up a champagne C-4000, got a Meridian 208 CD/preamp, a pair of Carver Silver 7t's, the Martin Logan Sequels, and lots of other stuff.

Over the years, I've tried a lot of amps (some on loan, some purchased) from Dynaco to Krell, and I always come back to Carver. They sound great in my rig, have TONS of clean sweet power, and are reasonably priced. And although I've owned several Carver pre's, and have always found them very versatile and impressive, my next pre will NOT be Carver (OK, but it WILL be a Sunfire, so I suppose that counts as Carver too...)

I've never owned Carver speakers. Although they are impressive, and I've always lusted after them, they just don't fit into my current lifestyle. Someday, perhaps, I canhave a room dedicated to Carver gear though...

But it was Bob Carver's products that introduced me to High End audio, and it's Carver gear that has enabled me to follow my dream of a "perfect system" even though I'm not filthy rich...

Thanks Bob, for giving us "little guys" a chance to experience REAL high-end audio gear without breaking the bank.

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:36 pm

Dreamer wrote:Bob Carver was pretty much responsible for getting me into high-end audio. When I was in college in the mid-1980's, I subscribed to Audio magazine, and used to pretty much memorize the "Audio Buyers Guide" every year, and although I lusted over Apogee and Acoustat speakers and Krell, Bryston, and Mark Levinson electronics, there was no possible way I could afford that stuff on a student's budget. But Carver gear was certainly within my price range...

But it was Bob Carver's products that introduced me to High End audio, and it's Carver gear that has enabled me to follow my dream of a "perfect system" even though I'm not filthy rich...

Thanks Bob, for giving us "little guys" a chance to experience REAL high-end audio gear without breaking the bank.

--Richard

Richard, I hope you don't mind the snippage.

I'd seen other "Hi-End" gear before I'd heard Bob's name. Sherwood,. Kenwood, Klipsch, Allison and the like but I have yet to hear a system that gives me the joy I've gotten from my Carver gear. I'm not sure if it's my ears or what but I'm fine with Marcia. Right now, I'm running a POS Technics CD player, a Carver C-1, a TFM-55 and my Original Amazing Loudspeakers for my office system. Everyone who's seen it thinks I'm insane... but wants a set of the speakers. Had to break it to them what it costs to power them up. Not so many takers.....bwaaahahahahaha. Pussies!!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Shure V15 type IIIG cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time

Return to Carver Corp. Gone Forever