phase linear p3600 preamp transformer

If you know where to find it, let us know.
LuckyST

phase linear p3600 preamp transformer

Post by LuckyST » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:57 am

the transformer on my p3600 preamp blew.

I'm interested to know where I could acquire one, and even better what's the type of the transformer, since it's quite peculiar design.

it has 120 and 240 input, and the output has 3 wires coming out of it, but I'm not sure at what voltage (would appreciate it if someone knew)

the scheme has "vcc" (+62v) and "vee"(-62v) going from the power board. so I'm not sure if the output value of the transformer is 62v or 124 v :(

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Re: phase linear p3600 preamp transformer

Post by BillD » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:51 am

These are known as Center tap transformers (or CT type). If you took a 1:1 transformer input 120V output 120V Center tap. The center tap is ground and you'd get 60VAC on both legs relative to the center tap. Now, rectified to DC that would be approximately ±85V relative to a center tap ground. I'm guessing that there is probably a voltage regulator in the power supply to change the DC voltage downward to ±62V. You need a schematic to tell. Are you sure the transformer blew or something after it. If you have an AC voltmeter, take out the transformer and check its A/C output when you plug it directly into the wall.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

LuckyST

Post by LuckyST » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:42 pm

I tried the connectivity test with the multimeter, and seems like the input coil is damaged.
The output coil however is ok.
also the power on/off switch seems/is busted. There are traces of arching on it.

can you tell what voltage it is based on the scheme?

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:16 pm

Sure, it looks to be about a 28V center tap dual primary transformer. Each leg would yield 14V, which rectified would yield 19.8V minus losses in the diodes, so you are looking at th ±18.4V shown as Vcc and Vee. The rest of the voltages are derived by a resistor ladder to take the 18.4V down to the respective B± voltages necessary for various stages of the preamp.

It looks like THIS TRANSFORMER would work.

Actually, that's kind of a beefy transformer for that application (preamp), but the lower value one (186B28) isn't available.

LuckyST

Post by LuckyST » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:03 pm

thank you, I wish I could repay you.

this model size matches the the one I already have so it'd fit perfectly.
since I basically dont need the 120v input, would it be ok if I replaced the dual primary with a single 240V primary?

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:39 pm

If you want to keep the wiring the same, I'd use the dual primary, as it looks like the switch is set up for that. As you can see, when the switch is in 240V position, it just bridges the two primaries. You never can tell down the road you might (or someone you sell this to down the road) might need 120, and it's just a flick of a switch away, unlike most pre-amps.

LuckyST

Post by LuckyST » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:53 pm

thanks.

also, could you clarify me this switch?
It's one side suffered from sparking(on the red cover), and I'm not sure what to order.

SCHEME
PHOTO

I've found a lot of similar switches, but I dont understand the red "bulge" on the back of it is, is it a part of a switch or something different?

I guess it's a "Multpole" dpst switch?
like this SWITCH

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:41 pm

Gonna be hard to find an exact replacement for that switch. Are you sure it's broken? If it is, you might be better off wiring it out of the transformer and wiring the transformer direct. If it still works, use it, you won't need to switch it often (if ever).

LuckyST

Post by LuckyST » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:20 pm

it doesnt work. I'll try to see if I can open it up before I do anything, but I'm pretty sure it's the end of the line for it.

by wiring it out of the transformer do you think I should wire it so it's in a constant "ON" position, or something else?

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:34 pm

I just looked more carefully at what that switch was. I was thinking you were talking about the voltage selector switch, not the power switch. That's a whole different animal. I have no idea what that strange thing at the back of the switch is. You'll need to get in there and find out. The schematic shows a 4PDT switch with a cap across the off and on (to de-thump it). The real problem here is to get a beefy enough switch (and that could be all about that bulge in the back). You'll need not much of a switch to turn on and off the preamp, but if you use those switched outlets, you'll need some big numbers in the current (like 15A) the switch can handle. If the switch rating is in watts, think about 1800W.

Return to “Hard To Find Parts, Pieces, Items”