LED's

If you know where to find it, let us know.
F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

LED's

Post by F1nut » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:13 am

I'm looking for 5mm bi-color (Red/Blue) LED's with two leads (bi-polar), non-flashing.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."

DaveS
The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Re: LED's

Post by DaveS » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:31 am

Check your e-mail or PM. James sent you some links.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:15 am

Thanks Dave, but he was half asleep. Those were not even close to what I'm looking for.

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:10 am

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:18 am

Yeah, you're waking up and I'm going to bed.

I saw those earlier and sent the guy an email asking if they are non-flashing. We shall see. I was hoping to find some from a legit company.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:03 pm

You might look HERE
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:51 am

A guy on the Polk forum found some for me, but they have a $20.00 minimum order. I was going to order 10, which only came to $4.00. Since they didn't have anything else I want, I got the ones off eBay. They seem to be the same ones the other place sells....we'll see.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:10 am

My new LED's arrived the other day and I finally found some time to put one in my pre amp. I now have red on standby and pretty blue on full power. Way cool. 8)

Next up, replace the red one in the amp with a pretty blue one.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:32 pm

It's sometimes hard to get blue ones that aren't too bright. I've been using THESE for awhile now, which aren't blinding. a 470Ω ½W current limiting resistor on a 12Vdc line gives optimum brightness.

mbskeam
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by mbskeam » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:37 pm

470Ω ½W current limiting resistor
is a current limiting resistor diffrent than a std resistor?
Mbskeam

SILVER 7's
Amazing Line Source
2 SVS PB16 SUBS
#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
WTL Amadeus GTA+DV DRT XV-1t
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Same thing as a standard resistor. It just describes its function.

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:33 am

Bill, the red/blue LED(s) I got did not have any specs. It was clear and too bright, both red and blue, so I scuffed it with 600 grit wet/dry, which dulled it down to an acceptable level. I tried to use the same red/blue in my amp, but both colors lit up. Would that be because of too much reverse voltage? I'm still getting my learn on concerning all things LED.

Anyway, I had previously purchased one of these, http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kin ... gub9kp8%3d, which worked out perfectly. The blue of the red/blue LED (pre amp) is a little brighter than the blue only LED (amp), but the difference is slight enough that it doesn't bother me in the least.

I hated that damn red/green LED in my pre amp from the day I bought it. Now, it looks as good as it sounds.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:30 pm

I'm guessing that you amp's LED is powered by A/C, which is OK if you can tolerate the 60Hz flicker. The LED I recommended is 20mcd, whereas the one you used were 60mcd (brighter). Congrats on the upgrade.

HERE is a little tool that can help you with those nasty little calculations to figure out the correct resistance to use. It also has a link to one to use for strings of LEDs and links to other sites about LED technology.

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:49 pm

I'm guessing that you amp's LED is powered by A/C, which is OK if you can tolerate the 60Hz flicker.
Yeah, that makes sense. No flicker detected though.

Right, mine is brighter than yours. This actually matches the mcd level in the pre amp better and as I don't look directly at them (they sit to my right) it's a non-issue.

Thanks, I had found that doing my research.

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:31 am

I finished up the install of the blue LED in the amp tonight. What a bitch that job was. I had to disassemble half the amp, then remove the existing wires and replace them with longer runs as they were just too short to work with. I also had to fabricate a new LED holder from 3 different LED holders. Well worth the effort though. Oh, look at the pretty BLUE lights! 8)

Return to “Hard To Find Parts, Pieces, Items”