James Sauter ribbon repair

If you know where to find it, let us know.
angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: James Sauter ribbon repair

Post by angelod307 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:01 pm

jamming to a set of plats james rebuilt at carverfest. wow.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

armophob
Newbie 50+

Post by armophob » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Toy Maker wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

James is a dumb ass !!! I'll tell you all about him if you want.

I couldn't resist 8-[

By the way Scott, welcome to my forum 8)

My emails have gone unanswered and I have lost the phone number. Can you help me get in contact to repair these ribbons?

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:16 pm

food for thought here. james is only one guy right, and he just got an order for all those new amazing ribbon speakers and then the regular job as well as us here on the forum to chat with. he is the best at what he does, so maybe , just maybe a little time is needed as his plate is overflowing with things to do. do not sway though, stay the course, he will do what he say's he will do. i have this as a personal experience with him. just two hands is his problem and a son that is closing in fast on how to help. patience .

armophob
Newbie 50+

Post by armophob » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:14 am

angelod307 wrote:food for thought here. james is only one guy right, and he just got an order for all those new amazing ribbon speakers and then the regular job as well as us here on the forum to chat with. he is the best at what he does, so maybe , just maybe a little time is needed as his plate is overflowing with things to do. do not sway though, stay the course, he will do what he say's he will do. i have this as a personal experience with him. just two hands is his problem and a son that is closing in fast on how to help. patience .

I appreciate what you are saying and I would not be reaching out if I had nothing but love for the quality of his work. But I am also aware that his time in Florida is limited and if there is any chance to get a replacement set, it is now.
I guess what I keep asking, and maybe I have heard with no sound, the answer.

Not what I want to hear, but maybe I am going to have to find a way to build a jig and find a resource to repair these on my own.
Man, I really hope it has not come down to that.

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:24 am

please keep in mind that i do not speak for james, and there is no between the lines here to be figured out. these are just some observations. as far as the repair yourself, it is a matter of parts and experience. even after i saw how it was done, it would take me many ribbons of failure i'm sure before i get the knack. the kapton he uses is also bought in a large expensive quantity. then even if you get that, there is the issue of taken them apart and reassembley. as soon as you remove the screws, and if you have not personally witnessed how it is done, you will end up with a bunch of magnets that will stick together. i know this fist hand as i donated the panels to him a couple of years back. when he does his thing, he makes it look easy, but i bet it did not come that way at first. he is a master at this as his family are the only ones that ever took them apart and put them back together and they were truely refurbed. james not only does the new kapton, but he checks and reglues all the magnets for good measure. even the carver factory was not able to do this task. bob gave kudo's for this as i was there in person when the conversation was brought up. keep the faith brother, and your prayers will be answered.

armophob
Newbie 50+

Post by armophob » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:58 am

angelod307 wrote:keep the faith brother, and your prayers will be answered.

:D Man, I hope it has not come down to that. :)

I know exactly what the job entails. But at some point I suppose we are going to either give them up or find a second hero to fix them.
I remember speaking with him about the purchase of the rolls of Kapton a while back.

I have been in limbo here in waiting for the replacement woofers as well for over a year now.
I appreciate the effort and commitment, and this is for non vital speakers. But these Platinum ribbons are my every day movie speakers and I am against the wall.

I am past praying, I am begging :(

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:18 am

I thought DaveS did the ribbon repairs, as far I know he's not caught up in the new ALS project. Have you called, emaailed Dave Sauter? I just checked the Bob Carver's Audio Service website, there use to be contact info for ribbon repair but I see it's gone now. maybe they're not repairing them any more? Sorry man, that sucks when your main system is down, limping along.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

thuffman03
!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post by thuffman03 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:39 am

As far as I know, James is still repairing ribbons.

http://www.carveraudio.com/index.php/ca ... ir-pricing

He might be a bit busy right now doe to the new ALS project.
Some cool Carver stuff!

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:36 am

PM sent with Dave's contact info
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:46 am

Yes I am still doing the ribbon repairs. The last few months have been very busy here.
If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call. If I do not pick up, leave a message, and I will call you back as soon as I can.

James Sauter
1803 W 15th St.
Lehigh Acres, FL 33972
(239) 410-1622

armophob
Newbie 50+

Post by armophob » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Well I left a message back then with you and never got a call. Tonight I tried again very late so I would get your machine.
I am a very smart person and I can figure out a way to make a jig to build the ribbon tweeter back again. What I am begging you for is the place to get the kaptan or other material to replace my damaged tweeters.
I understood your secrecy of the source when you were the only guy to repair them. But when you are almost impossible to contact, can you at least give me a chance to repair my own with this info?
Toy Maker wrote:Yes I am still doing the ribbon repairs. The last few months have been very busy here.
If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call. If I do not pick up, leave a message, and I will call you back as soon as I can.

James Sauter
1803 W 15th St.
Lehigh Acres, FL 33972
(239) 410-1622

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:16 am

the source is kinda mute as you would need to order a few thousand dollars worth before you could get it from james' source. for that matter, it is not a matter of how smart a guy is when it refers to the ribbons, but just how experienced are you with the repair process. as i have watched him repair my ribbons, i can tell you as smart as i may be, it was mind blowing to watch. and i have taken apart a few ribbons in years past only to get them caught together which broke alot of the magnets. if you are after a repair, the address is on the post, pm me and i will give you the paypal link to send the money to. as james will be gone april 4 on some work out of state, you would need to be on the ball go get them out and back before he leaves and that is if he would have the time to do it before he is gone. regardless, he is the master, and when he takes them apart, he does a complete refurb on them as good if not better than the original build in the 90's. good luck either way as the ribbon is so s-w-e-e-t to listen to.
Last edited by angelod307 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

armophob
Newbie 50+

Post by armophob » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:17 am

angelod307 wrote:if you are after a repair, the address is on the post, pm me and i will give you the paypal link to send the money to. as james will be gone april 4 on some work out of state,

That is kind of my reason for my last desperate post. The last time I drove across the state and exchanged tweeters with him. I know he is seasonal and I have tried to contact him during his time here.

If anyone knows a source to get the Kapton or Mylar for the ribbons (even if they demand you buy $1k worth) please let me know.

I am sitting here with Silvers that are useless without woofers (see the carrot and stick thread about that) and Platinums that I have to keep dolling up the traces with a conductive pen.

But hey, Im not bitter :?

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:26 am

so, any new news to post?

armophob
Newbie 50+

Post by armophob » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:46 pm

No, I gave up. If I was calling the wrong number, I am sure he would let me know. I assume he is just to busy to take on any more new projects.

I am still going to start my quest for the material. Someone will need to pick up the slack one day. These speakers are not going away and I hate to think they will get trashed due to a lack of repair options.

angelod307 wrote:so, any new news to post?

Return to “Hard To Find Parts, Pieces, Items”