Christmas Q&A with Bob

Interesting facts/opinions about the man himself.
Robert R
TFM-75

Re: Christmas Q&A with Bob

Post by Robert R » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:54 am

Stay tuned - Hurricane Bob may be blowing back this way this afternoon (Sunday).
RR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

DavidL

Post by DavidL » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:16 pm

What a collaboration to treasure. Merci beaucoup, Robert & James, the passionate work & posts are appreciated.
C-1/ BillD mod + M-1.0t mk II + Sunfire CRM-2 + SubRosa SRS-210R w/ SRA-2700EQ amp + SD/A360 changer or Yamaha CDC 555 changer, Nikko NP-550 TT

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:57 pm

On the ride out with Bob today I got through the rest of the questions.

GeneC - as to driving those low impedance loads, he thinks the Silver 7t is OK, as it was designed to run Apogee ribbons. There was something available called the Apogee Kit, details of which did not emerge in our hurried talk. Also, any of the tube amps with two ohm taps should work OK – he said “you'll smell it if it won't!”

Harry - He couldn't remember who made the Andromeda mid-range (it's almost 40 years!), but said a good re-cone outfit should be able to handle it, if you can't find a decent used one.

Regarding the C-1 treble control frequencies, 8000 Hz was chosen for augmentation of extreme highs, to add just a bit of “sparkle”. Even up all the way, it's meant to be subtle, not piercing. Think of it as a HF trim control.
Set at 2000 Hz it's more of a standard-type tone control, though more subtle; not shrill. It's action begins about an octave higher than most treble controls, and is for use in balancing recordings, dealing with room acoustics, or adjusting for personal taste.

A couple of extra bits of historical trivia emerged in conversations:

The C-9 was the most successful model Carver Corp. ever sold, both in total sales and in profits.

At the time Bob started Sunfire, he needed a suitable building for his factory. Ironically enough, he got his old Phase Linear building, which his PL successors were now finished with, as they had folded up for good some years earlier.

As usual, James and I are about done in. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz time.

RR

Shortcake
SILVER-7t

Post by Shortcake » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Tell Bob, hello from Shortcake. Was great meeting him. I'll have a jacket for him next year!
“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

DavidL

Post by DavidL » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:41 am

Thank you for the reportage, we all wish we were there.
C-1/ BillD mod + M-1.0t mk II + Sunfire CRM-2 + SubRosa SRS-210R w/ SRA-2700EQ amp + SD/A360 changer or Yamaha CDC 555 changer, Nikko NP-550 TT

nooshinjohn
SILVER-7t

Post by nooshinjohn » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:19 pm

I wonder if a C-9 tube buffer could work...
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, Triangle Art Reference SE prototype, with Walker Precision speed controller and Origin Conqueror tonearm and Dynaudio 20x2, Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Oppo BDP-93

BobSmi57
M-400t CUBE

Post by BobSmi57 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:15 pm

Robert, I read that in your idle conversation with Bob, that he said he thought Jon Dahlquist and Arnie Nudell were two of the best speaker designers. I wondered if Arnie Nudell's Infinity IRS and RS1b systems were his inspiration to design the Carver Amazings? These Infinitys from the early to mid 80's were ribbon towers of high quality, but too expensive for most people to buy. Bob has a reputation of building high quality products that are affordable to more people.

Bob

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:10 pm

I know Bob wanted to build a bipolar speaker, and that he considered electrostatics, but upon seeing the problems that the early Martin Logan design was experiencing, he gravitated to ribbons. Perhaps Infinity played a part - ribbons were not an invention of Bob's, so he learned about them somewhere. He came up with thinner ribbon than anybody, which led to several advantages - better sound and more amplifier-friendly impedances among them.

RobertR

Gene C
Newbie 50+

Post by Gene C » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:18 pm

Robert R wrote:On the ride out with Bob today I got through the rest of the questions.

GeneC - as to driving those low impedance loads, he thinks the Silver 7t is OK, as it was designed to run Apogee ribbons. There was something available called the Apogee Kit, details of which did not emerge in our hurried talk. Also, any of the tube amps with two ohm taps should work OK – he said “you'll smell it if it won't!”

Thank you Robert, seemed to have missed your post. I remember the Apogee mod being needed for the Sunfire amps to work on the Kappa 9's, I had sold the Sunfires before I heard about the mod. Thanks again, glad to get some confirmation from the man.
Living room...Sunfire TGP-III 11.4 setup 4 Silver Seven t's/Infinity Kappa 9A (main)/ 4 TFM-45's/ CRS3 (main) /Sunfire CRS3C (center)/Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 v2/Jolida JD-9 II /Apple TV/Wadia 171i/SD/A-490T /WA6/Infinity PS-312 sub & Sunfire Signature Sub (rear)/2 Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 watt subs (front)/AV-806X/4 Infinity C255ES bi pole speakers for sur, sur back and side axis/70" Sharp Aquos LC-70LE733U/Oppo BDP-95 Blu-ray/Douglas Interconnects & 9ga speaker cable.

Garage... CT-17/M-0.5t/TFM-15cb/AV-64/AudioSource EQ Eight Series II 4 Infinity micro sl speakers/2 Martin Logan Motion 4/Infinity Entra 12" Sub.

Return to “Bob Carver, the Myth, the Legend”