FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:51 pm

A500 Diagnoses ?

<<

Doug

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:11 pm

A500 Diagnoses ?

Hi, I am new to the site but hoping for some guidance with my amp. So you know I have it hooked up with an TFM 15 which drives some older TDL's which I turn down as I increase the A500 volume as to not blow up the Tdl's. The A500 is driving a pair of RE Cerwin V. My issue is recently I notice a loss of high frequency when turned up, with or without the TFM 15 on. I also notice now one channel appears to be shutting down when played loud, when I turn down I hear a click and the channel comes back on. Some times I can turn it down right away and the hi's come back. I have since stopped turning it past half volume :( If anyone could tell me how bad it is......and point me to a reputable repair dude in Michigan I would be grateful. She's an eBay amp so I am not surprised if it is nearing its expected life. I just like the old stuff and not sure what to do.
Thank you.
Very truly
Doug
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Re: A500 Diagnoses ?

So you know I have it hooked up with an TFM 15 which drives some older TDL's which I turn down as I increase the A500 volume as to not blow up the Tdl's.

You are driving one set of speakers with two amps, but not in a bi-amp situation? Is that correct?

I have since stopped turning it past half volume

You shouldn't have to start with.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Doug

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:31 pm

The TFM 15 is driving the TDL speakers, and the A500 is driving CV RE's, I failed to mention I have them running through a CT 17 Pre-Amp. Not sure about some of the terminology but I can look at the back of them and describe the hook up if nec.

Thank you for your reply.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Please do Doug. Many folks here willing to lend a helping hand! :)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Ok, I understand a bit better now.

It seems that your CV's have a thermal reset device to protect the tweeters from blowing because of amp clipping. It is possible that the reset device has become hypersensitive from being tripped too often, but from judging by your comment about having the volume knob past halfway, I would say that you are clipping the amp and tripping the devices like they should. The solution in that case would be to not turn it up so high.

One thing I still don't get is why you are running two sets of different speakers together. That never results in good sound.

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Doug

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Ok, Ct 15 pre amp output to tfm 15 input, tfm output to a500 input. Just noticed a little bridging / stereo switch I didnt know about. Not clear on bridging etc. I have always had four speakers hooked up to my junk, I drum and play to records and have just always had four speakers since my first quad stereo from GT Grants as a lad. I then got a sansui amp in which I had a pair of Radio shack Nova 8 and some advents, I always thought they kind of added something being they were different each offering their own sound ? then I got the Carver stuff off ebay which came in a lot together so I figured great two amps, mite as well hook up the old TDL's. I drum so I keep the TDL's near me playing and the RE'S about 15 ft away, as I turn it up the re's become louder because I turn down the TDL's for fear of baking them, because they are near me and the RE'S are away from me I get a balance I enjoy. Newbie status shining bright here ?? thanks again.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:29 pm

=D> \:D/ =D> Welcome!! =D> \:D/ =D> It's odd the A500 is clipping, seems something is wrong with the amp or speakers, connections somewhere. :-k :-k
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:33 pm

Ok, Ct 15 pre amp output to tfm 15 input, tfm output to a500 input.

what, you cant run a amp into anther amp
just so I under stand
you have the pre to tfm15 input then the output of the tfm15 amp going into the input of the A500?
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Doug

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:35 pm

is what I have described "clipping", amp dropping channel and or loosing the hi's ?? as I indicated it clicks when it comes back on of one side drops. :(
<<

Doug

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:38 pm

yes, um, ah....the pre amp output to tfm input, tfm output to a500 input.......friend helped me said it is by amped...
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:46 pm

yes, um, ah....the pre amp output to tfm input, tfm output to a500 input.......friend helped me said it is by amped...

if it were me I'd run 1 amp at a time to see which I liked the sound of better....

but if you want to try and run both amps, do this.....
okay lets unhook the 15 from the a500
then get 2, male too 2 female y cables
these will hook to the pre outputs L/R
doing RT ch only, the y cable will then go to the RT input of the 15 and the other cable to the a500 RT input
repeat for the left ch.
hook up the speakers to each respective amp.
if your speakers are different this may not work very well
and the 15 is a small amp, compared to the a500 it will most likely clip before the 500....
Mbskeam

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

<<

Doug

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Sounds like I am lucky I didnt burn the house down....

Thank you .
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:55 pm

Mbskeam

― Aristophanes

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Doug wrote:yes, um, ah....the pre amp output to tfm input, tfm output to a500 input.......friend helped me said it is by amped...

Jesus H Christ, you should NEVER do this!!! Ever.

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you need some assistance. Some real help in what it is you are trying to do. Unhook each amp and run straight from the pre to the amp [each one, separately]. Then tell us which amp you have possibly fried. Er....uh, I mean tell us if you have the same issue. Oh, and by all means, for the meantime? Keep the volume level down below 10:00 on the dial. For now.

Later on, we'll see what the situation is and then you might be able to crank it back up, provided you actually have it hooked up right.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:07 pm

Doug wrote:Ok, Ct 15 pre amp output to tfm 15 input, tfm output to a500 input.

Yeah as stated, you can't do that.

Just noticed a little bridging / stereo switch I didnt know about. Not clear on bridging etc.

Leave it on stereo.

I have always had four speakers hooked up to my junk, I drum and play to records and have just always had four speakers since my first quad stereo from GT Grants as a lad. I then got a sansui amp in which I had a pair of Radio shack Nova 8 and some advents, I always thought they kind of added something being they were different each offering their own sound ? then I got the Carver stuff off ebay which came in a lot together so I figured great two amps, mite as well hook up the old TDL's. I drum so I keep the TDL's near me playing and the RE'S about 15 ft away, as I turn it up the re's become louder because I turn down the TDL's for fear of baking them, because they are near me and the RE'S are away from me I get a balance I enjoy.

In that case, it doesn't matter what gear/speakers or how many speakers you have playing. Could even be Bose, wouldn't matter.

Newbie status shining bright here ?? thanks again.

Definitely and you are welcome.

Next

Return to Misc. Discussions