FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:57 am

Going back to school with Bob Carver

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:04 am

Re:

treitz3 wrote:Reluctantly hopped on. Now I'm on "Facebook". Should I do a dance now? Perhaps order a pizza in celebration? :rolleyes:

Damned social network crap.

I agree which is ironic as my college was the 5th school to join facebook when it was first started. Back then your school (or someone at it) had to fill out paperwork, you had to have a .edu email from said school and it was much more basic and fun to use. It helped me keep in contact with lots of my high school buddies while at college.

Now its all jacked up. I have to think about what I post on my status update and if someone might take it the wrong way, etc. Its become a politically correct social network site now as people (myself included) know its going to be looked at when applying for other jobs.

There have even been instances lately in the paper where IN THE JOB INTERVIEW the applicant was asked to give access to the interviewer so they could check out their facebook page for anything offensive.

FUCK THAT SHIT......

With all that said I joined this group anyway.......

LONG LIVE THE CARVERITES!!!!!!!!!!!!
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:13 am

Re: Going back to school with Bob Carver

Stopped in for a visit with Angelo, James, and Alex last night - those guys are having too much fun!

Listened to the speakers, but need to go back for another session with some different music. Start brewing another pot of coffee, Angelo!
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:32 pm

wow, over a week gone. this is not lasting long enough. time needs to slow down already. maybe less coffee is needed...up to two pots a day some days......
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Brian, James just posted this on FB:

"
Hey Brian... Look what we ran across while digging in "The Pit" AKA Bob's garage."

Brians Sunfire Tube Pre.jpg
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:53 am

TNRabbit wrote:Brian, James just posted this on FB:

"
Hey Brian... Look what we ran across while digging in "The Pit" AKA Bob's garage."

Brians Sunfire Tube Pre.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:33 am

Well, today I had the day to myself upstairs and wanted to put the speakers through their paces. Bob has been playing a lot of Airy, delicate music over the last three weeks and I was ready for some heart pounding, teeth clenching, socially horrible music! So I played a variety of music that I enjoy and music that I do not care for, but know that others do.

I started this journey in the R&B / Hip Hop genre (my least favorite). There I found that the bass end of the speakers is spot on! No matter what I played the bass hit and it hit with attitude, and the highs were not "in your face" like I expected. The imaging seemed to make a wall of sound that, with my eyes closed, seemed to be 4-5 feet in front of me, and kept going back, well beyond the exterior walls of the house. When I switched to Euro-Club music, the highs seemed to come forward about a foot, but it sounded okay. As I grew tired of that genre, I started in on Rock / "light" Metal. I listened to some Disturbed, Korn, Nine Inch Nails, Godsmack, and a few other well known artists, and the sound-stage came to life! The drummer was back behind the wall, the left and right guitarists were on the outsides of the speakers, for the songs that had one, he bass guitars were on the very inside of the speakers and the lead singer seemed right smack dab in front of me, about 3 feet above my ear level, as if I was in the center seat of the front row. When I went to the Country genre, it was all there, the acoustic guitar about ear level, and the singer about a foot and a half above that, both center staged.

Techno and Dub-step (my personal favorite) were equally as impressive! Crystal Method's remix of Roadhouse Blues blew me away... The speaker design, somehow, and Bob still cannot figure out why, give off Sonic Holography! There is a particular part of the song that throws sound behind the listener's right ear, whether it is phase shifting or some built in Sonic Holography on the album track, it was F'in cool! Another really cool song was Skrillex's First Of The Year (Equinox). The dynamics of the track, expressed on the ALS speakers is just jaw dropping!

Well, enough blabbering, I am going back to "work". Will keep you all posted with later updates!

Alex
RIP BillD
BillD wrote:Well, some people are glass half empty people and some are glass half full. Being an engineer, I just think the glass is the wrong size.

My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Modified Carver AL III+'s (Pushed into the corners to make room for the ALS speakers)
Modified CarverFest 2011 20w tube amplifier
Carver Pro PT-1800
Sunfire Prototype TGA-2375
Carver TX-2 Tuner (not used)
Logitech Squeezebox (replaced Tuner & dad's CD player)
CARVERaudio Directional RCA interconnects
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:56 am

Dub-step, eh? I saw your dad do that once while carrying a speaker.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:39 am

F1nut wrote:Dub-step, eh? I saw your dad do that once while carrying a speaker.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not quite the same.....
RIP BillD
BillD wrote:Well, some people are glass half empty people and some are glass half full. Being an engineer, I just think the glass is the wrong size.

(Stereo System)
Modified Carver AL III+'s (Pushed into the corners to make room for the ALS speakers)
Carver Pro PT-1800
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:59 am

Alex , I hope you realize how lucky you are to have this opportunity...
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

TNRabbit

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:01 am

Quote of the Year!
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:31 am

For some reason, I just don't find that very funny.

:lol: Wise guy.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:43 pm

treitz3 wrote:

You need tuning Tom. Have another beer!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:55 pm

treitz3 wrote:

Ehh, Quit your whining, You got one hell of a deal on that upgrade! :lol: :lol: :lol:
RIP BillD

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:04 pm

Oh, I wasn't whining. Just trying to posts something witty and yeah, I got one HELL of an upgrade out of that one. It's gonna take some really good speakers to replace the ones I have now. I still can't thank Ty enough for hooking me up like he did.

I actually got a chuckle out of what Jesse posted. Admittedly, he just has better wit than I do. The next time I need an upgrade, your Dad is gonna be the one I hire. He does a great job at what he does.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Wed May 09, 2012 2:42 am

Well, winding down the last night of our stay, we are packing up our bags and getting ready to split. It has been a truely amazing oportunity to have been here, learning from the one man that has been revolutionizing the home audio world for 40+ years. Some day i plan to come back for another stay, but until that day, I am glad to have been part of this project.

The speakers are finished, we got the Active Tubed EQ from Tubular Joe Sunday morning and have been tweaking with nothing but the knobs, so far there is nothing Bob wants to change.
RIP BillD

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
PreviousNext

Return to Misc. Discussions