FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:18 am

Tube Sound Not Real?

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:08 am

Tube Sound Not Real?

I've stated in the past how much I liked the tube sound, separation of instruments, big 3-D soundstage etc, very enjoyable and definitely different then solid state presentation. I went to my nieces graduation last Saturday and they had the school band and choir play a few songs, band on its own and the choir with a piano. As I was listening to the band it dawned on me, there were no real "separation" of the instruments, they all just kind of meshed together in perfect harmony. The sound was very much 2 dimensional with hardly any "depth" to it at all. This was live, right in front of me without the use of microphones, amplifiers or speakers. In fact, I'd have to say it sounded very close to my solid state Sunfire and Klipsch stereo at home.

I do like the tube sound, just not sure anymore how accurate it is in actually reproduction of sound.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 225x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch KP 250 II (2 Pairs)
Klipsch RSW 15
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Tube Sound Not Real?

Good point. Does "stereo" (or "tube sound" or whatever) strive to emulate reality or enhance it? I guess Kingman's trite observation is in order about now.... :lol: :lol:
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:03 pm

elgrau wrote:Good point. Does "stereo" (or "tube sound" or whatever) strive to emulate reality or enhance it? I guess Kingman's trite observation is in order about now.... :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the plug Ed!!! =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:55 pm

The can of worms is open! This thread should be really good! :D
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:31 pm

naw...most on this forum have become a bunch of boring old women who don't like discussion/debate. Too "stressful" and unsettling to their "locked in" world view.... :lol:
jk! 8-[
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:37 pm

my daughter is in band so I get the chance to hear a lot of live music.
I can relate to the above post...

the best part is when the marching band surround the parents in the commons.....
super loud.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:20 pm

elgrau wrote:naw...most on this forum have become a bunch of boring old women who don't like discussion/debate. Too "stressful" and unsettling to their "locked in" world view.... :lol:
jk! 8-[

Well what am I going to do with all this popcorn? :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:46 pm

Wouldnt it all be about perspective?

Wonder if it sounded the same at all seating areas, or only where you sat?
You didnt say if it was outside or inside, I'll assume inside an auditorium....could there be a worse place for acoustics than in a gymnasium? yep, outside. Maybe thats why it blended the way it did.

Something to consider is the musicians seating area.....wonder what he heard.....or the conductor, hes in the sweet spot....
I use to play with my friends, we would sit in a circle and face each other, my guitar would be in front and all the instruments would have a specific height and depth.....I remember my friend playing harp, he would walk around as he played...it was just cool to close my eyes and listen.

Small clubs that offer blues and jazz have much better separation of instruments than any coliseum or large rink that the bigger names would play.

But, all that being said.....maybe your right and what we hear in tubes is distorted. But maybe our experiences with music in our lives.....take death metal lovers and compare them to chamber music fans....is what decides what sounds natural to each of us.

Of course I might be bias cause I love what tubes do....or maybe its that I drink most of the time when I listen to my system..... :-$

Edit:....looks like I got nutzed.... :D
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:53 pm

PDR revealed:
"I use to play with my friends, we would sit in a circle and face each other"

:lol: :lol:
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:56 pm

I've said it before & will say it again; it is ALL dependent on the recording process & recording engineer!

That said, I agree with the statement that it depends largely on the venue & where you sit....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kingman

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:01 pm

That said, I agree with the statement that it depends largely on the venue & where you sit....
...AMEN!!!! The Bilo Center in Greenville is a prime example of this. Some of the worst acoustics if you don't sit in the correct position. If you are in the back upper you will hear the echo effect! :shock:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:38 pm

elgrau wrote:PDR revealed:
"I use to play with my friends, we would sit in a circle and face each other"

:lol: :lol:

Ok Ed......yah got me.... that made me laugh.

I'm gonna proof read before I post again
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:49 am

From my concert experiences seat location and the venue mean everything for good sound seperation and imaging. If you sit in the rear of a large auditorium you get nothing but meshed sound waves that have little or no stereo effect. I had the pleasure of seeing AKUS during their "AKUS Live" tour in Portland's Arlene Schnitzer (sp) theatre and had front row center seats. This is an old theatre so the acoustics are perfect, and the front center seats provided the same seperation and imaging the album does at home. Every time I listen to that CD or MOFI album on my system which does include tubes in the CD player and preamp it brings fond memories of that concert.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:24 am

I have wondered this same thing about what am I really trying to reproduce with the soundstage, seperation of instruments, etc? A friend came over that maybe has a radio on his alarm clock, basiclly no audio experience at all. We played a couple of songs and he said WOW, sounds like the band is right here in the room in front of me. I guess thats what Im trying to reproduce.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Snoop65 wrote:
elgrau wrote:naw...most on this forum have become a bunch of boring old women who don't like discussion/debate. Too "stressful" and unsettling to their "locked in" world view.... :lol:
jk! 8-[

Well what am I going to do with all this popcorn? :lol: :lol: :lol:

WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH ALL THIS TUBE GEAR????? :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Next

Return to Misc. Discussions