Tube Sound Not Real?

<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:35 pm

Re: Tube Sound Not Real?

Chauss wrote:
Snoop65 wrote:
elgrau wrote:naw...most on this forum have become a bunch of boring old women who don't like discussion/debate. Too "stressful" and unsettling to their "locked in" world view.... :lol:
jk! 8-[

Well what am I going to do with all this popcorn? :lol: :lol: :lol:

WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH ALL THIS TUBE GEAR????? :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Send it to me. I will give you an opinion as to if it is real or not after a lifetime evaluation. :D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:48 pm

I bet you would my friend! :D Thanks for the offer! =D>
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:21 pm

I believe the point of this hobby is entertainment, I now think of the tube sound like the air-brushed super-models... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 200x5
Klipsch KP 250 II
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Klipsch RSW 15
PS Audio DL-III DAC
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:35 pm

jjptkd wrote:I believe the point of this hobby is entertainment, I now think of the tube sound like the air-brushed super-models... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:46 pm

jjptkd wrote:I believe the point of this hobby is entertainment, I now think of the tube sound like the air-brushed super-models... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Air brushed or not, they still look (sound) GOOD !!!

All reproduced music is just that...reproduced. Somtimes (especially Rock concerts) the home reproduction will sound way better than the live experience. Of course the "experience" counts for something too.

All in all Wayne (Kingman) is absolutly right....what counts is how it sounds to YOU !!!

Just my .02
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Sort of how I prefer watching a football game at home on a 50" plasma instead of eating cold $6 hotdogs and drinking warm/flat $7 beers with a lousy view of the plays. I'd love to attend a musical progam at Carnegie Hall before I take the "dirt nap" ! Supposed "perfect" sound from every seat in the house, I'd love to experience that. \:D/
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:21 pm

All in all Wayne (Kingman) is absolutly right....what counts is how it sounds to YOU !!!
...YO FRANKIE!!! I knew I could count on you!!!!! 8) 8) 8)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Yo, Wayne.......When you're right.......You're right !!

It is a rare enough occurance that its worth pointing out !!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:53 am

I do like the tube sound, just not sure anymore how accurate it is in actually reproduction of sound.

How many different types of speakers have you tried?
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, Carver Cherry 260's, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Klipsch Epic CF3

2 channel - AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Lowther Medallion Speakers PM5a driver, Rythmik F15 Sub

2 channel - Carverfest Mono Blocks, Grant Fidelity DAC, Klipschorns

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Lowther Allerions DX-65 drivers
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:18 pm

tinpan wrote:
I do like the tube sound, just not sure anymore how accurate it is in actually reproduction of sound.

How many different types of speakers have you tried?

-- Does this guy know anything about tubes??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Very good point Tinpan! =D>
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:14 pm

gdb wrote:Sort of how I prefer watching a football game at home on a 50" plasma instead of eating cold $6 hotdogs and drinking warm/flat $7 beers with a lousy view of the plays. I'd love to attend a musical progam at Carnegie Hall before I take the "dirt nap" ! Supposed "perfect" sound from every seat in the house, I'd love to experience that. \:D/

Try getting, paying for and actually enjoying a premium seat. At that point, tell us your observations.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:27 am

I would say the OP's experience is entirely venue related. If this was outside, there are no relective surfaces to give you position information as the sound becomes omnidirectional and looses any sense of space. I don't like rock concerts in outdoor venues either, and I have been to more than a few. AC/DC sucked IMHO outdoors, but can rock an arena to the ground.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:54 am

After thinking about this for a bit, I'm not sure it's even fair to try and compare live music with recordings in your home, WAY too many variables on both ends. :?
I've been to a few rock concerts (many years ago) and have seen a lot of bar bands more recently. I have a few friends who play, and although I really love listening to live music I can't think of one instance where it has sounded better or even as good as my home stereo, solid state or tube.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 200x5
Klipsch KP 250 II
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Klipsch RSW 15
PS Audio DL-III DAC
<<

mrjazz1959

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:14 am

I own a tube pre amp and prefer the sound over solid state, very warm not harsh played at flat response
Duke Ellington: “I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. ”
<<

mrjazz1959

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:18 am

Tube sound (or valve sound) is the characteristic sound associated with a vacuum tube-based audio amplifier.
[1] The audible significance of tube amplification on audio signals is a subject of continuing debate among audio enthusiasts.
[2]Many electric guitar, electric bass, and keyboard players in a range of popular, rock, funk, blues, reggae and jazz genres also prefer the sound of tube instrument amplifiers or preamplifiers.

Audiophiles disagree on the relative merits of tube and solid state amplification. Some prefer the sound produced with tube amplifiers on the grounds that it is more natural and satisfying than the sound from typical transistor amplifiers. Those who subscribe to measurement and scientifically-based approaches to high fidelity note that in general, solid state designs can be manufactured without output transformers, and are therefore immune to speaker-dependent impedance mismatches and other transformer effects which alter the system spectral response. Typically, in sound reproduction systems, accurate reproduction of the sound of the original recording is the goal; distortion and uneven spectral response within the audible frequency band is something designers deliberately seek not to introduce.[3]
Duke Ellington: “I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. ”
PreviousNext

Return to Misc. Discussions