FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:00 am

Heat in audio gear

<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:46 pm

Heat in audio gear

Not too welcome here as I am too WTF? for many, so I post on sites like I'm a Fucking Asshole.com.
Still, sometimes even an asshole like me gains some knowledge to share.

From CNET today:

Shoving all your home theater equipment into a single, closed cabinet makes sense when you want to keep your living room tidy. There's just one problem: overheating.

When you have things like a router, gaming console, cable box, and DVD player all mingling in one cabinet, things can get steamy. So much so, in fact, that a lack of air circulation can eventually fry your equipment. (Ring of death, anyone?)

The most obvious solution here is to remove the door from your media cabinet, but if you're bent on keeping the appearance of your living room clean, the next best thing is to install a cooling fan.

Follow the step-by-step guide and video to install a quiet, temperature-controlled fan that keeps your cabinet cool and your gadgets happy.

In my opinion (not humble) most people writing on the main web sites are better at writing than most, but their expertise on any subject is less. They have to put out a column ever so often, so I give them a break. At the least, they are sometimes entertaining and make us think.

The heat thing this guy brings up is real. A year ago my Carver 705 put out enough heat to close down my Dish receiver. The TV started saying it was to hot. It posted that on the TV. I moved the 705 out side the cabinet and all was well. With a SunFire that would be less problem, but heat is still a killer.

Here is his entire article: http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57520220-285/diy-install-a-cooling-fan-in-your-media-cabinet/

Most audio gear is OK with heat. I got a Bench Mark DAC Pre for my deck ($1500) a couple years ago and the heat coming off was scarey. I contacted Bench Mark and they told me not to worry, it was no big deal.

In my video cabinet heat from the Carver 705 closed down my TV.

I love my Bench Mark, trust the guys as you can just call them and not be switched to some guy in India.

Still, did some web work and bought a ParaSound Zbreeze. I put it over the Bench Mark as I do play this thing on the deck when it is over 100 out here. After about a year, my review on the Zbreeze is --

- totally quite as in you cannot hear it.
- brings the heat of the Bench Mark down from very hot to room (outdoor) temp.
- has 3 fan speeds, and low is all I need.

It is not cheap at about a hundred bucks, but I think this is a bargain if you need something like this. You set it on top of the gear and it is amazing.
http://www.amazon.com/Parasound-Zbreeze-Component-Fan/dp/B001RM7BLG

I know most will never need this, but WTF?, I try to share experiences as do you all.
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Re: Heat in audio gear

Well aware of over heating issues. I got some AVrisers from Rick (Mr.500t) to place under my power condition that sits on top of my Lightstar. The chassis of the Lightstar acts as a heatsink so it is important to have go air flow over the top of the amp. I have never had over heating issues but why take chances? Since you are back can you put your clown avatar back up or something else? It looks to bland without a avatar. :D
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:06 pm

I hear the Lightstar can run pretty hot under normal operating conditions.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:09 pm

MRHP wrote:I hear the Lightstar can run pretty hot under normal operating conditions.

It gets pretty warm to the touch but you can't cook on it. :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:42 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:21 am

Snoop65 wrote:
MRHP wrote:I hear the Lightstar can run pretty hot under normal operating conditions.

It gets pretty warm to the touch but you can't cook on it. :lol:

Maybe eggs.......
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Return to Misc. Discussions