FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:01 pm

Cheap Bass traps

<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:44 am

Cheap Bass traps

I can't take credit for this idea. Visited an audiophile recently to listen to his GR Research LS9's line arrays. (Awesome line array by the way) In the corners, he had rolls of these covered in burlap matching his room decor. While not as attractive as the high dollar real ones, he told me an acoustic engineer friend of his had recommend these as a cheap alternative.

Being the frugal one, (learned that from spending time on this forum :lol: ) went to Home Depot and bought 9 of these. (3 for each corner-4th corner is not doable because of entrance door) Helped dissipate strong room mode I was experiencing at 63Hz. In addition, seemed to clean up and tighten the bass. As a result, improved overall sound across the board on the cheap.

Nice thing about this, no need to remove plastic wrapping, according to acoustic engineer. Also, said it must be the unfaced kind. You can purchase, stack in your corners, try it out in your setting for a week or two and if you don't hear a difference, take back to Home Depot and get your money back.

Edit:
Here is the current pricing structure per roll:
$11.87
Owens Corning EcoTouch R-30 Unfaced 9-1/2 in. x 15 in. x 25 ft. Continuous Roll Insulation
Attachments
LS9's.jpg
LS9's.jpg (15.76 KiB) Viewed 275 times
cheap bass traps.jpg
cheap bass traps.jpg (12.13 KiB) Viewed 275 times
Last edited by Don on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:37 am

Re: Cheap Bass traps

very cool idea...
and the take it back part even better.... :D :D :D
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Glad to hear you like the GR arrays......I'm partial to GR myself owning the V-1s..... 8)

When I built my corner traps they were the hardest to work with. Cutting sono tubes, piecing
together, fabric staples glue.....the 2'x4' panels were much easier. But I wouldnt have it any other way. These rolls look easy and thick.
Just one question......is the outer wrapper plastic?
There is some debate going on if the plastic (on a round surface) is acting like a
poly diffusor, or a actual bass trap or both.

The real cool thing would be if it acted as both a diff and bass trap.

If its helping at 63hz then it must be absorbing.....if there was a quilt thrown over between
measurements you might tell if its diffusing as well and what freq.

Very cool Don.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:55 pm

PDR wrote:Glad to hear you like the GR arrays......I'm partial to GR myself owning the V-1s..... 8)

When I built my corner traps they were the hardest to work with. Cutting sono tubes, piecing
together, fabric staples glue.....the 2'x4' panels were much easier. But I wouldnt have it any other way. These rolls look easy and thick.
Just one question......is the outer wrapper plastic?
There is some debate going on if the plastic (on a round surface) is acting like a
poly diffusor, or a actual bass trap or both.

The real cool thing would be if it acted as both a diff and bass trap.

If its helping at 63hz then it must be absorbing.....if there was a quilt thrown over between
measurements you might tell if its diffusing as well and what freq.

Very cool Don.

Perry,

The LS9's were very impressive line arrays, to say the least. Actually, one of the best line arrays I have ever heard. Competes with the Scaena, but with more bottom end. No need for sub with the 9's, unlike the Scaena's. Massive soundstage. Only drawback I could see, is they need a very large listening space and plenty of room to breathe. The audio room was probably at least 25' by 35'.

Regarding the insulation/bass traps, yes, the outer wrapping is a thin plastic. The gentleman that owned the LS9's, told me his friend who is the acoustic engineer, said no need to remove the plastic. Since I am old, slow and lazy, I have not covered mine yet with anything, but plan too. I may just throw a couple of matching blankets over mine. The burlap looked very nice cut and glued on for sure. However, getting back to the above.....old, slow and lazy part.....
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:11 pm

Just had to resurrect this thread. Here is the semi-finished Poor Man's corner bass trap. Need to tighten the blanket a tad more. Stacked 5 high, a little over 6 ft. tall. Purchased a blanket for each corner trap and used pins to secure. Total cost per corner: $65 in insulation and $25 for the blanket. Equates to approx. $90 a side. It will never look perfect because the rolls are not perfectly symmetrical with one another. However, for the price can't complain to much.

Good news for the cheapskate in each of us: if you don't like the results or can't hear a difference, just return to HD. No need to open the plastic covering.
Attachments
Cheap Bass Traps.jpg
— Thomas Paine

RIP Bill D.
<<

WhackJob

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:38 pm

And if you ever end up dating a Crazy Cat Lady - your in!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:49 pm

WhackJob wrote:And if you ever end up dating a Crazy Cat Lady - your in!

No cats allowed in this household. :-" Been there, done that. #-o Canines only. 8)
Attachments
Always%20first%20in%20Boat.jpg
Always%20first%20in%20Boat.jpg (95.46 KiB) Viewed 152 times
— Thomas Paine

RIP Bill D.
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:20 pm

I love things on the cheap. Great idea!! Somewhere another audio guru suggested bean bags that did the same thing. IIRC he piled them up behind the speaker. I know nothing. But another 'on the cheap' idea.

Thanks Don!!

ray

I too like the take it back part
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time

Return to Misc. Discussions