FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:36 am

Douglas Connection I/C Roadshow

<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Douglas Connection I/C Roadshow

If my "Roadshow Forum members" don't mind posting their thoughts here regarding my "Douglas Connection" I/C's that are being circulated. The other thread was fun, but it has gotten cluttered up by me ribbing "Kingman," as a result of his post. :rolleyes: He was an outstanding sport, as always, during the whole process. O:)

The purpose of this thread is to remain focused on my I/C's donated by forum member Doug and circulated for review among members. It was a very nice and thoughtful donation on Doug's part and I don't want to lose sight of that and we need to remain focused as a result.

So far, the list includes the following:

1. Harry (Hewlew1) On the way-Fed Exed today
2. George (Zoot Horn)
3. Chris (Cring08)
4. Dan (Chauss)

Rules are simple: 2 week audition, mail to next forum member, post thoughts here in this thread and Roadshow ends when my 75 comes back from Rolland.

Thanks Doug for the donation and Kingman for drawing my name. =D>
Last edited by Don on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Re: Douglas Connection I/C Roadshow

I am in- would love to hear them!
Snoop can attest that I KNOW cables do not make a difference...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:07 pm

Chauss wrote:I am in- would love to hear them!
Snoop can attest that I KNOW cables do not make a difference...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Always throwing me under the bus! :lol: :lol: :lol: But seriously you are going to enjoy Doug's cables.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:31 am

Snoop65 wrote:
Chauss wrote:I am in- would love to hear them!

Always throwing me under the bus! :lol: :lol: :lol: But seriously you are going to enjoy Doug's cables.

Just throwing opportunity your way - Got to climb your way up to the drivers seat my friend! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:44 am

Chauss,

Got you covered. =D> You are #4 after Chris. If you don't mind as we get closer, PM your address to Chris.

Anyone else I will be glad to add to the list. However, with 4 now on the list and a 2 week trial period and throw in a timeframe for shipping the cables to and from, we may be out over 3 months. I anticipate having my 75 back within that timeframe.

Having said that, after Dan's evaluation, if 75 not in hand, we will continue the "Douglas Connection I/C Roadshow".
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:11 am

I would just like to say the the "Horse's ass" here has Doug's interconnects and the Furez speaker cables and finds them to be extremely good! \:D/
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:54 am

Don wrote:Chauss,

Got you covered. =D> You are #4 after Chris. If you don't mind as we get closer, PM your address to Chris.

Anyone else I will be glad to add to the list. However, with 4 now on the list and a 2 week trial period and throw in a timeframe for shipping the cables to and from, we may be out over 3 months. I anticipate having my 75 back within that timeframe.

Having said that, after Dan's evaluation, if 75 not in hand, we will continue the "Douglas Connection I/C Roadshow".

Hey Don,
Thanks for doing this. Please let me know when your 75 is expected back, and I'll send you another new set of IC's. That way the ones you have on the road show can stay out there longer. Also, I'd like to send a second set for the roadshow, so folks can use them between the source and pre, plus between the pre and amp. So please PM me the address to send the second set.

On the replacement for the set you are sending on the roadshow, what length do you need? If I remember correctly the ones I made for Carverfest were 5', but I will make you whatever length you need. Just let me know.

Thanks again for doing this Don :D

Best Regards,
Doug
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:38 am

helicopterpilotdoug wrote:
Don wrote:Chauss,

Hey Don,
Thanks for doing this. Please let me know when your 75 is expected back, and I'll send you another new set of IC's. That way the ones you have on the road show can stay out there longer. Also, I'd like to send a second set for the roadshow, so folks can use them between the source and pre, plus between the pre and amp. So please PM me the address to send the second set.

On the replacement for the set you are sending on the roadshow, what length do you need? If I remember correctly the ones I made for Carverfest were 5', but I will make you whatever length you need. Just let me know.

Thanks again for doing this Don :D

Best Regards,
Doug

Doug,

I will PM you Harry's address for where to ship the second set of Roadshow I/C's so you can get them off right away. I think that is an excellent idea. When I get my 75 back, I will let you know. Thank you for the offer on the new set. In the meantime, those Roadshow members on my list, please e-mail Doug your address so he can coordinate having 2 sets of I/C's during your evaluation.

As far as the Roadshow idea, I have to give Kingman credit. =D> It actually was his idea in the other thread. And he took a lot of "ribbing" from me in his "softball" approach, which was intended to all be in good fun. He is one of my closest friends on the forum and it is behind us, 8) which is why I started this new thread titled "The Douglas Connection I/C Roadshow". :-k
— Thomas Paine

RIP Bill D.
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:13 pm

Ok'd by Don here is a review I did on Doug's cables from a roadshow Doug had on another forum. One pair of IC's and four types of speaker cables. I just pasted the whole post so it starts of with a reply to TNRabbit.

No problem Rabbit we will catch up. Ok now for the "beans"! First I would like to thank Doug for the opportunity to audition his cables. It was really a fun experience! The cables I use in my system are Audioquest Columbia 72v DBS interconnects and Audioquest Gibraltar 72v DBS single bi-wire cables. I first tried out Doug's interconnects. I ran them between my amp and preamp. This went on for a few days because the sound was so close. Through the meat of the music the midrange, they sound identical to me. As I listened more I found that Doug's cables highs seemed more detailed and the bass was slightly better on the Audioquest. This is exceptional for Doug because the Audioquest cost four times more and he was able to match their performance to the point where it boils down to preference, which cable would match best in your system. I could easily live with Doug's interconnects in my system.
Now moving on to the speaker cables. The Douglas "Economy" and "Secret 02" cables were solid and competent cables. They both offered a good clean sound the Secret 02 giving you a bit more in transparency. Next was the the "Furez 9AWG". This one is the shit! I listened to this cable for a few days switching back and forth between my Audioquest. I have to say these were identical to my Audioquest. If there was a difference it was EXTREMELY small. I even suspect if Doug's cables were in a bi-wire configuration they would sound better. What makes this even more impressive is that the Audioquest cable costs about seven times more! DAMN YOU DOUG!!! Last but far from least are the "Secret 01". These cable sound like the Furez cables but the soundstage was smaller through these cables. They didn't sound as big. Doug is really on to something here. I hope he becomes the giant killer of the audio cable industry. Good luck Doug and thank you again!!!
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:01 am

Doug ,I really appreciate the fact you are sending along a second set of interconnects. I found myself wondering how i was going to evaluate your cables with only the one pair. I have decided when I return home this week on thursday I will set up a second system in my bedroom strickly for this evaluation. I intend to use a cd player, my Mapletree tube preamp which contains no tone controls and 2 of my Carverfest tube amps monoblocked at 40 watts per channel played through a pair of JBL book shelf speakers on stands. If the JBL's dont cut it I will switch to my Polk Monitor 10"s on thier stands. This will be the system I will use for the roadshow.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:10 am

hewlew1 wrote:Doug ,I really appreciate the fact you are sending along a second set of interconnects. I found myself wondering how i was going to evaluate your cables with only the one pair. I have decided when I return home this week on thursday I will set up a second system in my bedroom strickly for this evaluation. I intend to use a cd player, my Mapletree tube preamp which contains no tone controls and 2 of my Carverfest tube amps monoblocked at 40 watts per channel played through a pair of JBL book shelf speakers on stands. If the JBL's dont cut it I will switch to my Polk Monitor 10"s on thier stands. This will be the system I will use for the roadshow.

Sounds great Harry! Look forward to your reviews :) The cables are done, and I'll send them either today or tomorrow. This set is 3' and if I remember rightly the set you are getting from Don is 5'. Let me know if the 3' is not long enough, and I'll make another 5' set.
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:21 pm

helicopterpilotdoug wrote:
hewlew1 wrote:Doug ,I really appreciate the fact you are sending along a second set of interconnects. I found myself wondering how i was going to evaluate your cables with only the one pair. I have decided when I return home this week on thursday I will set up a second system in my bedroom strickly for this evaluation. I intend to use a cd player, my Mapletree tube preamp which contains no tone controls and 2 of my Carverfest tube amps monoblocked at 40 watts per channel played through a pair of JBL book shelf speakers on stands. If the JBL's dont cut it I will switch to my Polk Monitor 10"s on thier stands. This will be the system I will use for the roadshow.

Sounds great Harry! Look forward to your reviews :) The cables are done, and I'll send them either today or tomorrow. This set is 3' and if I remember rightly the set you are getting from Don is 5'. Let me know if the 3' is not long enough, and I'll make another 5' set.

Your memory is spot on. They were 5 ft. I/C's.
— Thomas Paine

RIP Bill D.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:03 pm

Not long enough to try on my pre-amp to amps, but maybe between pre-amp and DAC.... 3' is more than enough for that.
Looking forward to the audition a few months from now!
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:37 pm

Update , The second pair of cables arrived yesterday evening(from doug). Unfortunately I did not have time to test them before I had to leave for Wilkes-Barre. So the evaluation will begin thursday evening upon my return home.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:43 am

Harry you slacker. Sleep is overrated.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
Next

Return to Misc. Discussions