FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:58 pm

Kicked off the other carver site

<<

trav0810

TFM-6cb

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:30 pm

Re: Kicked off the other carver site

LOL! Did you post pics there as well? Maybe that'll help lighten their mood!
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:31 pm

trav0810 wrote:LOL! Did you post pics there as well? Maybe that'll help lighten their mood!

Yup, same ones as here \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ ...

What can I say... I get around ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

trav0810

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:13 am

EndersShadow wrote:
trav0810 wrote:LOL! Did you post pics there as well? Maybe that'll help lighten their mood!

What can I say... I get around ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Forum Whore! :lol:
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:31 pm

Even tho I don't like the "politics" over there (nor their intolerance for those with different views..), I DO respect/like their dear leaders amp upgrade skills and knowledge. The M1.0t mkII opt2 amp I got here from HRDROKN has given me a new found respect for this AND for "more power" as being a real good thing. At ~470 w/c this amp is the most powerful that I own (well maybe the 300x2 is ~the same power level into the 4-5 ohms that it is currently driving..). And even tho my garage system where I have this amp employed right now has simple speaker wires (i.e., ~12 ga. HD "lamp cord"), usually just my iPod as source (and when I source it with the 3600 CDP with "digital time lense" on...lol, the sound is even "more better"), and somewhat (but not much..) lesser speakers than my "main" systems, this extra power (mainly for "transients") manifests itself as crisper and more detailed drum/cymbal strikes, etc., etc. I think the mods that Rich made allow for a "flood" of power when these transient events occur in the music and allow them to be much better defined than with a lower powered amp. Nothing to do with over all volume of your listening; just with these transients that take HUGE amounts of power to properly reproduce. Now, not to start a "shit storm" or anything, I think that the lack of power from tube amps makes them a LOT less desireable in this area and probably contributes to their "smoother" sound. Some prefer this and that's fine... But I (and many) prefer that "crisper" more detailed, less "rounded" sound that you can only get with high amounts of raw amp power....like ~500 w/c or more. I think someone posted something here a while back showing that even a "scissors snip" took ~1000 watts (transient) power to properly reproduce....that's the effect i'm talking about that "more power" helps - greatly - with. Thanks, RichP, for making these great mods to Bob's (allready) great vintage amps! - Ed
Last edited by elgrau on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

trav0810

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:40 pm

I agree. The MKII design is a great achievement. and the issues with "that" site have nothing to do with his skills as an electronics engineer, but rather his lack of integrity as a human being.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:58 pm

"Scissor Snip" from the M-1.5T advertisement:

http://www.carversound.com/carver-amplifiers/m-1-5t/

"Our M-1.5t description starts out with a story instead of the usual superlatives. Once, Bob Carver visited a famous sound researcher who was attempting to recreate the "snip" of an ordinary pair of scissors. He used no less that TWENTY-FOUR 200-watt amplifiers for playback. Yet when viewed on an oscilloscope it was apparent that the top of that instantaneous transition was being distorted. Believe it or not, he needed more power! It was evident that real-world sound occurs very quickly and requires far more power than ANY current amplifier could produce. The M-1.5t is a culmination of Bob's search for enough power, the ultimate amplifier for the reproduction of music today and for years to come. Why such massive amounts of amplifier power? Music is full of surprises such as explosive crescendos, combinant crests of demand created by multiple instrument sounds and the shock levels that some well-recorded instruments can instantly attain. This is what makes music live. These incredibly intense bursts of sound don't necessarily have to be loud. They are too short in duration. But, like the scissor snip, they are intense and demand power. Recorded music sounds dull without these constantly-occurring high instant peaks. If your amplifier cannot provide the instantaneous power to surmount these rigorous musical punches when they are presented at its inputs, it makes a sound of its own devising, literally an electronic gagging we call, clipping. The result is an audible degradation which has pervaded your listening for years. A form of distortion which has been difficult to avoid until the M-1.5t arrived."
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:26 pm

That scissor snip quote is famous. Even among my SET buddies they admire that quote.
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, DUAL CS 5000 TT, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - Carver VTA20 Baby Black Beauty, Custom Line Stage, Klipschorns

2 channel - AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, Carver C-5 Pre, Altec A4 speakers

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec 288 Horns/JBL Bass bin
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 pm

There is no substitute for power. The trick is though is to have quality power, "musical"
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Now, not to start a "shit storm" or anything, I think that the lack of power from tube amps makes them a LOT less desirable in this area and probably contributes to their "smoother" sound.

this is so very true....
but only when the vol knob is at 11...

I need more tube power.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:28 pm

I too agree that the upgrade is great and have a deep respect for the project and the individual involved. My problem was with the fact that he promoted his work on the site and cut Rolland and others to provide monetary gains for his project. That, in its self, was wrong. Being a moderator of the site is a special honor and conducting oneself in a professional manner is important, not to mention mandatory. I do not regret being removed from the site, if that is what I deserved. However listing trademarks that are not registered and cannot be possible (correct me if I am wrong) was not the way to conduct one’s self. I know a lot of people here on this web site are friends with those of the other site, me too! And I will miss the contacts that I have not connected with by phone. We are a special breed of ageing equipment and bodies and I hope my stuff dies before me….. all of you on this site are breed above the normal and deserve noting but the best (tube amps) just kidding about the amps have a great listening experience.
Ray
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:47 pm

mbskeam wrote:
Now, not to start a "shit storm" or anything, I think that the lack of power from tube amps makes them a LOT less desirable in this area and probably contributes to their "smoother" sound.

this is so very true....
but only when the vol knob is at 11...

I need more tube power.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's why Bob and others started building big watt tube amps. The problem big watt tube amps is they cost at much or more than a car! I'll stay with my solid state amp and tube pre, the best of both worlds! :D
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:06 pm

If it dosn't dim the lights is not loud enough!!!!!!!
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:26 pm

wrstps wrote:If it dosn't dim the lights is not loud enough!!!!!!!

LMAO!!!! YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Or you could run one 20 amp line per channel, works great. No dimming and all the juice you could ever want.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:30 pm

done all of the above...
just now waiting for the BIG one..... :-" :-" :-"
I aint working 14 hr days for nothing.... :D
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
PreviousNext

Return to Misc. Discussions