FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:13 pm

Kicked off the other carver site

<<

trav0810

TFM-6cb

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Kicked off the other carver site

Toy Maker wrote:I'm pretty sure most of the threads have "disappeared" off their forum, but I recall a few (heated) threads over the last year or 2 about the MkII mod causing meltdowns.
I remember seeing something like 5-6 amps going back to be repaired.
Both Rolland and Bob said the mod "will work" but the amp won't last long running that hard.

First, let me start by stating that I am techno-stupid. I know little about capacitors and even less about resistors so please take my questions as though they are coming from a child...lol. Does that have something to do with the rail voltage? If so, the reduced voltage that Russ implemented might help. I know that he has done a hundred or more of these over the last few years and I have only heard one complaint, and that complaint just popped up on Rich's site once Russ and I were both gone. I know the two amps that Russ uses at his home were done 3 or 4 years ago at least and they are still performing perfectly. Hopefully, mine will continue to perform this was as well! Some of Rich's coming back could also be because of Rich's workmanship...which is not nearly on the level of some of the other people I have seen perform these upgrades. I don't think the concept is flawed as much as it is his implementation of the mods!
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:49 am

I really don't remember how or why they were failing... But they were Rich's mod. The lower voltage may have fixed the problem.
I never really kept up with the mods at all, really didn't care too much. If I want more power I just buy a bigger amp !!!

Bob has ALWAYS over engineered his equipment, and there is a method behind his madness.
If his amps are only running at 50% of it's actual potential, it will last much longer than an amp running at 90%
Taking one of his amps, and "squeezing more power out of it".... Nothing is free in electronics.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

trav0810

TFM-6cb

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 am

Toy Maker wrote:
Taking one of his amps, and "squeezing more power out of it".... Nothing is free in electronics.

You got that right! Well, hopefully mine will continue to perform. I don't push them very hard and I have never had one get hot on me. I'm using the one to push my monitor 12's right now, but as soon as I get some new cables from Doug, I'll be using 2 of them to push my new SDA 2.3TLs.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:30 pm

Again, I don't think the main reason/advantage to the mods is more raw power, but more (and faster) transient power (just IMHO...). That's my opine on them after living with the M1.0t mkII opt2 for a year or so (and having had the "baseline" M1.0t in the same system prior to this for a comparable amount of time). As to shortening the life, well "if she dies she dies" is how I see that. The way we all go thru amps here (just to get something new/different/better/bigger/with tubes/without tubes/etc.) makes it highly unlikely that any amp will ever die of old age (or over use) anyway. I rarely push my opt2 to a level where even the 2nd set of lights light up, but do sometimes...and it just keeps giving. And like I said, if it blows, it blows! I think the improvements in fidelity and "transient" (and raw!) power gains are well worth the "risks" (if any..). Nothing and no one lasts forever....just buy another fine vintage amp (if that happens) and keep on truckin sez I.
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:32 pm

trav0810 wrote:
Toy Maker wrote:

You got that right! Well, hopefully mine will continue to perform. I don't push them very hard and I have never had one get hot on me. I'm using the one to push my monitor 12's right now, but as soon as I get some new cables from Doug, I'll be using 2 of them to push my new SDA 2.3TLs.

Are you bi-amping the SDA's ?
<<

trav0810

TFM-6cb

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:17 pm

Zoot Horn wrote:
trav0810 wrote:
Toy Maker wrote:

Are you bi-amping the SDA's ?

Yes I am!
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Joined there recently.
As all know, I am an easy going guy.
Today I can't even post my views on guns there.
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 pm

Good to hear from you OO. And see your still going strong.
Ray
<<

trav0810

TFM-6cb

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:58 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:Joined there recently.

LOL...I posted my views on Guns there, then the thread was locked and I was gone a couple days later!
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:36 am

Conservative viewpoints are as welcome there as a wolf in the chicken-coop
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:05 am

OconeeOrange wrote:Joined there recently.

The good news is it's not just you OO. I've been there years and couldn't comment on some eggheaded anti-gun/freedom BS the other day.

Sometimes the openness of this site seemed like it allowed unnecessary crap to dominate instead of audio, but after seeing this locked down approach where some can say anything and others nothing, it does put a new light on it.

Your site, OO, is more of a open topic forum as evidenced by the headings. Nothin' wrong with that. On the other hand, when it says "CARVER" at the top, shouldn't it center around audio? But even then, there is a difference between something that comes up....and threads started about things with no relationship to audio. And it's another thing to lock out people from responding and wholesale deletions. Why??

Mark
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:20 pm

I simply COMMENTED on a thread about how there was an air of fear about speaking one's mind about something being "talked around" in the thread there (edit: I now remember it to be religious "implications" re homosexuality). The IP address of the computer I was using at the time (not mine... :lol: ) is now BLOCKED from accessing the forum site (at least for the particular user ID I was using at the time...not mine... :lol: ). Some serious censor shit???..... Awww Hell No They Didin't !!!! .... going on over there. And I love their little commie "rewards" they give out to social engineer "correct behaviour". No thanks...
Last edited by elgrau on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Went on the other site today and it is back to the dark theme and I can post again but didn't.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:58 pm

That site has become a mutual admiration society for approx. 10 members that go back and forth with numerous "attaboys" and posting many,many "thanks for this useful post" for each other. The back channel chatter via PMs tells me that they're all terribly weary of Rich's schizoid behavior and his extremely uneven administration practices. None of the "mods" or members will call him on it, though ! And ........having Snow for a mod !?!? Atilla the Hun would have been a more impartial, even-handed candidate IMO. It WAS nice over there for the simple fact that chronic shit-stirrers were not tolerated and relegated to the "Sandbox", but then, several got put there without any just cause, that's fucked. There's just way too much revisionist history goin' on over there for my taste. It got decidedly chillier there for me when I stated that I wished that my wife, a public, middle school teacher, were able to take her .38 to school with her . :-# :-# :-# I look to see my existence erased there after this post has been read, no great loss. 8)
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:52 pm

gdb wrote: I look to see my existence erased

Now you're talking! :lol:
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
PreviousNext

Return to Misc. Discussions