FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:21 pm

600x2

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Re: 600x2

Technically, they are not 2 ohm speakers. He stated 2.2 ohm D.C.

You're right Ed, I missed that little DC thingy.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Forgiveable, F1....I'm the "King" of this: speed reading a post and then jumping to a quick/wrong conclusion! :lol:

Was not trying to "rub that in": just wanted to emphasize that the speakers PROBABLY were not the cause of the over heating and that perhaps angel should investigate further...
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:37 pm

angelod307 wrote:So i was jammin on the 35 with the al3s in the garage only to notice there s an issue in the left channel at higher volumes. It clips when the meters tag 250w and ok no issue at 125 or so. The top rail i guess. Another 35 for tom at vintage hifi to check out and fix for me.

You DO realize the 250 is into EIGHT ohms, not FOUR? you were hitting around 500 into the AL-IIIs.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:56 pm

yeah der rabbit it could be as I was just using the meter as a rough guide. I would think maybe a transistor is failing but do not know without an osciliscope and more brains to decipher what I see. well after all that, next thing is to take the refurbed 300x2 and do the same to make sure it is not a xover issue as they are original, although I don't recall any issue with the 600x2 on them, but I may not have pushed it. on another note, the bar speakers although not wide open, were at lively levels that you could not talk over to say the least. moving on now to the plats with fresh electrolytics, and the 600 x 2 driving them sound really good. I must say that from memory they do sound not quite as open as the biamp setup. next to take some rta measurements to see what I am hearing. then after a long adjustment period to my ears on them, I will bi-amp then with electronic crossover again and do some measuring, then finally I will compare the al3's and cinema ribbons too as well as my creations to see if I am even close to bob's acoustic wonders.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
Previous

Return to Misc. Discussions