FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Cables and IC by Douglas Cables....

<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:24 pm

Cables and IC by Douglas Cables....

Our very own HelicopterpilotDoug was kind enough to send me two pairs of his IC's and a bi-wire 15 foot pair of speaker cables for demo and use at my upcoming audio meet at my home this weekend. It usually takes me a but of time to be able to put a simple review together for anything, but I must say the last couple hours with my rig have been the very best I have heard it sound in YEARS!

Gear used in this setup are my Carver Statements, Rogue Audio Perseus, Pioneer Pd-dj9 Mk II SACD player and Polk Audio SDA SR 1.2TL's. Cables used for comparison are MIT Shotgun S2's and MIT Terminator Mk1's.

The build quality of Doug's cables is simply beautiful. The care and craftsmanship he puts into assembling them is evident as soon as the box was opened. They are not simply a cable made on a kitchen table by a guy in his boxer shorts with a soldering iron in one hand and a beer in the other. These are serious, professional grade pieces of cable goodness. =D>

I have been using Shotgun IC's and Terminator speaker cables for years now, and have been impressed with the sound quality improvements they gave, but have been on the fence as to whether or not the investment was worth the return. I have scoffed at the idea of recommending cables for sonic benefits because the expense to me was better spent on improving gear instead. I would not say I was disappointed in the MIT's, rather that I just didn't fully appreciate the touted benefits.

After listening to the Carverfest 2011 cd, I swapped out the MIT's and plugged in Douglas Cables and Interconnects. I was not at all anticipating a difference in sound from the new cables, rather expecting something akin to the rocketfish cables from BestBuy or even the homebuilt cables I had several years ago. I was wrong....

It was immediately apparent that these new cables were miles apart from the MIT's, and in a VERY GOOD WAY! At first, I thought I changed something else, but there was nothing else connected, no bass or treble controls on the Rouge, and I was in Pure direct on the Pioneer. Details that were severely toned down or even missing before were all of a sudden clear, vibrant and properly represented within the soundstage. the shimmer and decay of a cymbal tap and the speed of a drum attack all there. the vibrato in a voice or the breath od air on a woodwind... all there in lush and exquisite detail. Never in my years of audio have I ever been completely speechless by what a magical difference a cable can make in a stereo rig.

Much has been said about synergy, and it is a complete bitch to be sure. I can say that the MIT's were good, but the dramatic and immediate improvement Doug's cables have made in my rig must be proof positive that synergy is a real phenomenon, but that cables must be considered as an absolutely equal and important component in the audio chain. My rig will never be without these cables, PERIOD!!!

Kudos Doug on building a world-class cable and best of luck to you sir.

Many Thanks!

John
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:27 am

Re: Cables and IC by Douglas Cables....

+1 and I have not tried the speaker cables yet. If that lazy ass george ever gets around to sending them to me I am sure I will be pleasently surprised. LOL
Plus Doug is just one hell of a nice guy to deal with, If anyone deserves to have a profitable business it is Doug. His products and customer interaction are top notch in my book.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:49 am

Coming your way very soon Harry-- I'm really having a tough time letting these go!
<<

trav0810

TFM-6cb

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:28 am

I too can attest to the quality of Doug's cables. They have replaced the MITs and the other IC's in my system. AWESOME cables!
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:34 am

trav0810 wrote:I too can attest to the quality of Doug's cables. They have replaced the MITs and the other IC's in my system. AWESOME cables!

I may have to borrow your set at some point to go up against my Kimber Kables \:D/
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:06 am

nooshinjohn wrote:The build quality of Doug's cables is simply beautiful. The care and craftsmanship he puts into assembling them is evident as soon as the box was opened. They are not simply a cable made on a kitchen table by a guy in his boxer shorts with a soldering iron in one hand and a beer in the other. These are serious, professional grade pieces of cable goodness. =D>

Details that were severely toned down or even missing before were all of a sudden clear, vibrant and properly represented within the soundstage. the shimmer and decay of a cymbal tap and the speed of a drum attack all there. the vibrato in a voice or the breath od air on a woodwind... all there in lush and exquisite detail. Never in my years of audio have I ever been completely speechless by what a magical difference a cable can make in a stereo rig.

My rig will never be without these cables, PERIOD!!!

Kudos Doug on building a world-class cable and best of luck to you sir.

This is what I meant to say when I wrote my review of Doug's cables....John, you were so much more eloquent than my drivel~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:48 pm

If anyone deserves to have a profitable business it is Doug. His products and customer interaction are top notch in my book.
Well said!!! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:52 pm

Thank you for those kind words guys. It's with the help of the friends I've made like y'all that the business is doing as well as it is. Without your support I don't know where I'd be with this.
THANK YOU ALL!!!
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com

Return to Misc. Discussions