FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:10 am

Tape Out = Pre Out?

<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu May 02, 2013 3:32 pm

Tape Out = Pre Out?

If a receiver has no Pre Outs but does have Tape Outs, can one use these as Pre Outs?
(I noticed that earlier Carver Receivers have Pre Outs/Main Ins but later models do not...just Tape Outs). Thanks! - Ed
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Thu May 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Tape Out = Pre Out?

elgrau wrote:If a receiver has no Pre Outs but does have Tape Outs, can one use these as Pre Outs?
(I noticed that earlier Carver Receivers have Pre Outs/Main Ins but later models do not...just Tape Outs). Thanks! - Ed

Normally Tape Outs are fixed output, if your amp has gain controls on it all would be fine
without gain controls you would be at full volume all the time.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Thu May 02, 2013 6:21 pm

I have used the Tape out to another AVR before and that worked (one didnt have a phono input, the other did).

But like stated normally they are fixed outputs so you need some way to control gain/volume.
"Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder, Music is in the ear of the Listener" - ME
"Arguing cables is like arguing religion. You are likely never going to change anyone's mind, and it is not much fun if you are sober" - nwohlford
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 03, 2013 12:09 am

Ok; thanks for that info guys. I didn't think about the fact that you loose volume control...
Was going to buy that 6250 Receiver (with remote) that's currently on ePray and use it as a tuner/preamp for my garage system. But with no preamp outs, I guess that option is out. Funny; the MXR-130/150's have preamp out, but not the 6250...damn!
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Fri May 03, 2013 5:50 pm

elgrau wrote:Ok; thanks for that info guys. I didn't think about the fact that you loose volume control...
Was going to buy that 6250 Receiver (with remote) that's currently on ePray and use it as a tuner/preamp for my garage system. But with no preamp outs, I guess that option is out. Funny; the MXR-130/150's have preamp out, but not the 6250...damn!

I might know someone with a MRX-130 they are looking to sell if your interested. I know NOTHING about the condition of the unit, or asking price, but I could look into it if you want.
"Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder, Music is in the ear of the Listener" - ME
"Arguing cables is like arguing religion. You are likely never going to change anyone's mind, and it is not much fun if you are sober" - nwohlford
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

cring08

TFM-35

Post Fri May 03, 2013 8:30 pm

I used my MXR-130 as a pre with the sunfire 300x2 until i got the Sunfire pre.

It worked well.
Chris

Living Room/main System:
Sunfire TGP IV
Sunfire 300x2
Carver Amazing Silvers
Apple tv
Carver SD 390t
Technics SL 1950 Turntable

Basement/system 2:
Carver MXR-130
Teac reel to reel
Musical Fidelity X-10D tube buffer
BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer
Nikko eq2
Cerwin Vega HED's
Klipsch SW15
Infinity RS10's
Pioneer 100 disk changer

Garage system:
Pioneer VSX something?
Polk Audio 2500
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 03, 2013 8:55 pm

Yeah; I'm looking at a few Receivers on ePray.....can just swap out the MXR-150 I was using as preamp/tuner in garage. But since they all crap out at about the same age, probably should either refurb the one I have or buy one that's had this done. I like the FM tuner enhancements that these old Carver Receivers come with: nice for FM station music in the ole garage...but they need to also have pre out's since I'm using Frankie's old re-furbed TFM-42 for an amp out there (now that the m1.0t mkII opt 2 clearly beat it out (soundwise) in the family room system....
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue May 07, 2013 11:04 pm

Update: Did snag a "totally refurbed" MXR-130 Receiver from ePray for $125 (it has three missing paddle switches but I have a set of these from my MXR-150 that now "hums"). Not sure what totally refurbed included but I doubt the "total" part because the seller (a stereo shop that took this receiver in as a trade-in) said the previous owner spent $150 to have this done right before trading it in. Sounds more like a good going over than a total refurb to me.... Whatever; but I felt this was better than getting a cosmetically perfect one that has had no service check-up at all (let alone a re-cap or refurb). Then today I see on ePray a listing for a set of caps to do a complete (?) recap of the MXR-150 for $20. I bought this kit as well as it can probably fix the hum in the 150 that I currently have gathering dust in the garage system....if so I'll have a spare for the garage system and also for my daughter's bedroom system that also uses an MXR-150....

Question: I've been driving the TFM-42 directly from my iPod in this system since the humming in the MXR-150 started whereas before it was connected to the MXR-150's AUX input (along with CD player into another of the receiver's line level inputs). Both ways seem to work fine, but it seems like for the latter that the iPod signal is being "preamped" twice (once in the iPod and once by the MXR-150's preamp). I guess you just keep the iPod volume lower when plugging it into the MXR-150 as an input signal? To be able to switch between iPod and CD and tuner sources, it has to be done this way otherwise you only have the iPod as a source right into the power amp....
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Wed May 08, 2013 12:38 am

elgrau wrote:Question: I've been driving the TFM-42 directly from my iPod in this system since the humming in the MXR-150 started whereas before it was connected to the MXR-150's AUX input (along with CD player into another of the receiver's line level inputs). Both ways seem to work fine, but it seems like for the latter that the iPod signal is being "preamped" twice (once in the iPod and once by the MXR-150's preamp). I guess you just keep the iPod volume lower when plugging it into the MXR-150 as an input signal? To be able to switch between iPod and CD and tuner sources, it has to be done this way otherwise you only have the iPod as a source right into the power amp....

Ed look at getting a LOD cable to RCA (line out to RCA). It uses the iPod charging connector which is a UNAMPED line level signal from your iPod which keeps its internal amp outta the loop. Its a lower noise floor as the iPod's amps add lots of noise..

Bunch of guys make custom ones on places like head-fi.org and sell em on epray.

Example here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ink:top:en
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed May 08, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks for the info, Ender! Had no idea such devices existed. Will check them out. - Ed
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed May 08, 2013 1:49 pm

I use to use a remote controlled docking station that used the charging input, much better then using the head phone amp. I believe I only paid around $50 for mine new. A quick look at eBay shows a new "Pyle" station for $24 shipped, charges the unit and includes a remote. I don't know anything about this model but what I had was similar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PYLE-PIDOCK1-Un ... 5d3ea8d8e6
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 200x5
Klipsch KP 250 II
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Klipsch RSW 15
PS Audio DL-III DAC
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed May 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Cool, JJ. Bought one (looks like what I need..). If it works out, I'll buy another for daughter's system (she has a similar setup for her BR system: iPod "music server" into a MXR-150. Sure she'll love the iPod remote option..Thanks, everyone! - Ed
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat May 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Here are some pics of the "new" garage system. I took the front panel (with handles and accommodates wood sides) from my "humming" MXR-150 and transplanted this to the "totally refurbed" (not..) MXR-130 I bought from ePray that had three broken paddle switches. But everything does work 100% on this new receiver (even the FM enhancements, one of which was not on the MXR-150) and since I'm not using the amps at all, could care less whether its a 150 or 130 model.. The aforementioned $25 iPod docking station (with remote!) works great as a source and is a noticeable sound improvement over using the headphone outs of the iPod for signal (makes sense: any distortion in the iPod headphone amp would be amplified by the TFM-42...). Now just need to get the Carver 3600 CDP functioning properly (it has always needed a lot of patience to get CD's to load...not sure why: I deoxit's all the plug connectors today and cleaned the lazer...no help):

IMG_3768 (Medium).JPG

Return to Misc. Discussions