FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:33 am

My take on Douglas Power Cables

<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Fri May 10, 2013 1:41 pm

My take on Douglas Power Cables

Well after being so impressed with Douglas speaker and rca cables I decided to go for some power cables.....glad I did.

Here is my obsevation if anyone is interested.

The Alpha 11 is one fine cable and will work anywhere even though its mainly designed for heavy duty usage like amplifiers. Very low noise floor and soft laid back presentation, it compliments the Sunfire amp really well because I feel thats the same type sound the Sunfire puts out. All that being said I actually prefer it on the CD player. Its the best cable I have ever heard on an amp or cdp. I would love to try a pair of these on the Lightstar but only have one right now and used it on the 400x7.

By the way, using the Alpha 11 cable in the 400x7, with two channels going the the DQ20's, and two more channels going to the subs thru the Audio Control Richter scale, I pulled 23amps using the Warbletone option set at 22.5Hz. The amperage was measured with a "Killawatt" device the plugs into the wall and then the cord plugs into it. THAT was incredible to say the least! The sub ports were blowing massive air as if a fan was blowing on me... :lol: :lol:

The Alpha 14 is very very close to the 11 and can be swapped back and forth between the cdp and amp and seems to do the job almost as well as the 11 in either spot. Probably just a matter of do I want to spend the extra $$ to get that last little bit of detail.

The Bravo 15 I really didnt like that much until I finally tried it on the preamp and boy did it really wake up that weak spot that I didnt know was there. If that makes sence...lol. From what I know it is a silver based cable and is sometimes considered to be a little bright but on my system it smoothed out the preamp and added a delicate and detailed sound that no other cable would do.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0002
Bone Stock Lightstar
Vintage Hi-Fi modified Lightstar
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
More Douglas cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri May 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Re: My take on Douglas Power Cables

Doug make some good stuff!!!!! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri May 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Excellent review Eric!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Fri May 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Doug may work in copper, but his efforts seem to turn into pure GOLD! I love his work, and won't buy anything else for my rig.

John
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Sat May 11, 2013 6:34 am

Thank you Mr. Horse Power!!!!! I really appreciate the kind words about our power cables. For anyone who might be interested, here are the links to the power cables Eric was talking about.

The Alpha 11

The Alpha 14

The Bravo 15
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Sat May 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Thank you Doug for talking me into trying these power cords....I had no idea.

Oh yea...one last review just to let everyone know Ive gone full retard with this cable thing :lol: :lol: :lol: I installed one of Doug's Furutech wall sockets and plugged both Lightstar power cables into it and BAM instant detail and that grainy-ness from the .79 lowes wall socket was gone. I recommend it for the amplifier at least.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0002
Bone Stock Lightstar
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
More Douglas cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat May 11, 2013 10:38 pm

MRHP wrote:Thank you Doug for talking me into trying these power cords....I had no idea.

Oh yea...one last review just to let everyone know Ive gone full retard with this cable thing :lol: :lol: :lol: I installed one of Doug's Furutech wall sockets and plugged both Lightstar power cables into it and BAM instant detail and that grainy-ness from the .79 lowes wall socket was gone. I recommend it for the amplifier at least.

Amazing what a good wall socket can do. I have some high quality sockets myself. The angry mob of naysayers will be after us in a minute Eric! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Sun May 12, 2013 8:23 am

Snoop65 wrote:
MRHP wrote:Thank you Doug for talking me into trying these power cords....I had no idea.

Amazing what a good wall socket can do. I have some high quality sockets myself. The angry mob of naysayers will be after us in a minute Eric! :lol: :lol: :lol:

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0002
Bone Stock Lightstar
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
More Douglas cables

Return to Misc. Discussions