FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:10 am

Question of the day....

<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun May 12, 2013 9:05 am

Question of the day....

Consider a Sunfire 600x2 and a Sunfire 400x7. Both have 18 mosfets and I assume the same power supply. Given this, would it be better(louder) to bi-amp a pair of speakers with the 400x7 or just use the 600x2 in stereo mode? I am thinking no matter what, each can only draw so much current from the wall. What say you??? :-s
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Sun May 12, 2013 9:10 am

Re: Question of the day....

IMHO the 600-2 would be better. That's what this amp was made to do, supply 600 watts to each channel. However, I can see where you are coming from if you bi-amp 400 watts each input to your speakers. IDK, that's a good question Wayne!! Of course do you think you'll EVER pull that much power??? Just my $0.02 worth.
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

kingman

Post Sun May 12, 2013 9:28 am

I'm currently just running a 15 amp cuircuit, so I don't think I could draw the max potential of either amp. But consider 600 watts divided between woofer and tweeter and 400 watts into EACH. Also consider that BOTH amps are using the same guts, just more channel boards in the 400x7. Also WHAT IF supplying power was not a problem(not limited by the 15 amps currently). #-o
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun May 12, 2013 9:43 am

The 2 channel amps are beefed up with much larger capacitors then the multi-channel amps plus as you stated the 2 channel amps have many more output devices per channel. I think either would be just fine but if you had really demanding speakers and what to drive them hard I'd stick with the 2 channel amp as that's what it was designed to do. The multi-channels were meant to drive theater systems where not all channels are driven simultaneously for any length of time.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 225x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch KP 250 II (2 Pairs)
Klipsch RSW 15
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun May 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Unless you are using separate amps, each with its own power supply and active crossovers, you aren't bi-amping.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun May 12, 2013 1:44 pm

It may not be considered "true" bi-amping but you do get more power to the speakers with, at the very minimum, the advantages of bi-wiring. I run my Chorus II's with 4 channels of my Cinema Grand and the extra power is very noticeable.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 225x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun May 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun May 12, 2013 2:40 pm

I've read all that before, it actually convinced me not to "truly" bi-amp my speakers as eliminating the passive crossovers or "balancing networks" would of been very problematic with my particular speakers.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 225x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Sun May 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Take this into consideration also:
I have a "Y" power cable for the PT-2400 so I can run both channels with one wall plug. With my "killawatt" device the 2400 pulls about 1.05 amps at idle. At reasonable listening level it goes up to about 1.5 amp and cranked up jamming hard it will only bounce up to around 6 or 7 amps max.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun May 12, 2013 5:59 pm

kingman wrote:Consider a Sunfire 600x2 and a Sunfire 400x7. Both have 18 mosfets and I assume the same power supply. Given this, would it be better(louder) to bi-amp a pair of speakers with the 400x7 or just use the 600x2 in stereo mode? I am thinking no matter what, each can only draw so much current from the wall. What say you??? :-s

I say you have too many amps. Give me one and you won't have to even consider the question! :lol: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

kingman

Post Sun May 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Don wrote:
kingman wrote:Consider a Sunfire 600x2 and a Sunfire 400x7. Both have 18 mosfets and I assume the same power supply. Given this, would it be better(louder) to bi-amp a pair of speakers with the 400x7 or just use the 600x2 in stereo mode? I am thinking no matter what, each can only draw so much current from the wall. What say you??? :-s

I say you have too many amps. Give me one and you won't have to even consider the question! :lol: :lol:

Don...coming from anyone but you I'd have a pat response....... :lol:
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sun May 12, 2013 7:25 pm

Don wrote:

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Sun May 12, 2013 7:43 pm

F1nut wrote:A good read, http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

I have considered doing this because my DQ20's are not a bi-amp style speaker. My Audio Control Richter Scale has a Linkwitz-Riley cross-over built in and is made for bi-amping. I can pull the lid off and change the cross-over frequency to whatever wanted.

Would I just cut the woofer wires and run them to a seperate set of terminals on the back of the speaker, then just use two amps? Is it that simple? I think these speakers cross the woofer at 400Hz.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun May 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Crossover technology can be rather complex and typically have more to do then just start and stop bandwidth, they deal with phase, time, impedance etc and are often times referred to as "balancing" networks. I don't know anything about your specific speakers but I would recommend doing some research, possibly finding someone else who has already done it. The whole subject just turned into a big can of worms for me and I opted to just keep the original design with higher quality parts and had them made bi-wire / amp capable.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 225x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Mon May 13, 2013 7:32 pm

jjptkd wrote:Crossover technology can be rather complex and typically have more to do then just start and stop bandwidth, they deal with phase, time, impedance etc and are often times referred to as "balancing" networks. I don't know anything about your specific speakers but I would recommend doing some research, possibly finding someone else who has already done it. The whole subject just turned into a big can of worms for me and I opted to just keep the original design with higher quality parts and had them made bi-wire / amp capable.

I kinda figured there was more to it. Its been turning into worms for me too, Ill just leave them alone and might experiment with some cheaper speakers I got laying around.

Wayne get a db meter and try it out. Im curious about it now myself.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
Next

Return to Misc. Discussions