FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:11 am

What's in your attic?

<<

Glenlivet

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:29 am

What's in your attic?

What's in your attic? Mine contains lots of equipmnt that I have outgrown or rather no longer suits my needs. I ought to eBay it of course.
How many pieces do you recognize? (besides the breadmaker)

<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: What's in your attic?

My God, you've got a treasure trove there.

Try listing it here before you go to Ebay.

I'm sure those Phase linear pieces will get some attention.

Good luck.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:05 pm

I'm sure those Phase linear pieces will get some attention.

Yes they will...I'm interested...I know the 400 series 1, is the series 2 the 400 also or is it a 700? :-k
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Glenlivet

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:21 pm

The PL series 2 is a 700. It works fine, both channels, though it has had a repair to one of the channel boards in which non-standard replacement parts were used. I used it for years to run an ElectroVoice Patrician 30" speaker in a repro EV Patrician enclosure (also in the attic).
The 400-1 was bought by me from QC stereo in Bellingham, in the 70's. '77 I think. It suffered a failure in operation some years ago and seemed to go into a parasitic oscillation, that caused the VU meters to swing full on and pin to the high end (though I don't think it damaged them) I mothballed it at that time and haven't looked at it since. The original panel bolts have vanished.
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:26 pm

What is that piece on the bottom in the center under the Carver amp? I see 3 pieces that look like they belong together possibly Pioneer?
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Glenlivet

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:50 pm

That's a Pioneer Spec 1 preamp, bought new in 1977. Those things were built to mil standard and 35 years later all controls work perfectly and just as clean as they were new. That's because the switches and dials are all real attenuators, sealed and filled with argon gas.
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Harrys Wife will give ya 100 bucks not to sell it to harry !! He has way too much shit already !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 amazing speakers in natural oak & Douglas connection cables
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Markie is gonna need a chiropracter after Carverfest ! :lol: :lol: \:D/
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 amazing speakers in natural oak & Douglas connection cables
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Glenlivet wrote:That's a Pioneer Spec 1 preamp, bought new in 1977. Those things were built to mil standard and 35 years later all controls work perfectly and just as clean as they were new. That's because the switches and dials are all real attenuators, sealed and filled with argon gas.

Pioneer built some pretty nice stuff in the mid to late 70's. My Pioneer SX-1250 still is my sentimental favorite. In addition, I am bringing an inexpensive Pioneer Int. 40 watt per channel SA-6700 as part of my "Cheapskate Pabst Blue Ribbon" system to Carverfest. Never a problem, also made in mid to late 70's. Bought used from a neighbor about 25 years ago for $25 for a system I put together for Dad back then. Not the Spec 1 quality, but has held up very well over time.
Attachments
Pioneer sa-6700.jpg
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:09 pm

WoW!!!!!! :shock: Just WOW!!!! :shock: Nice stacks of goodies you have there. Is this your retirement plan???? :lol:
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Very nice!!!! Do I see a Phase Linear cassette player?
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Glenlivet

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:11 am

Snoop65 wrote:Very nice!!!! Do I see a Phase Linear cassette player?

No, there's a Pioneer CT-1250 though. It was Pioneers top of the line cassette player of the time, with all kinds of bells and whistles. Trouble was, at the same time as Pioneer went to the snappy looking blue light bar level meters on their cassette machines, they changed their transport design from the bulletproof and totally reliable one on the CT-750 which I had one of, to a new one that on inspection relied on a really oddly contrived belt slip setup for the reel tension device and the same belt with the motor running at the same speed for the forward and rewind functions! In practice, as soon as the belt developed even mild hardness, as they always do, the takeup tension would become so weak as fail to turn the tiny load of the cassette reels, causeing the machine to detect stopped reels and kick the transport off. That and/or the machine would be unable to fast forward or rewind the tape. The only way out was frequent relacement of the belts with a brand new ones.
For what was supposed to be a manufacturers flagship premium tape player/recorder, this was an incredibly huge design flaw.
I wondered if the engineer responsible for this travasty was made to sit cross legged and bow in shame, and cut out his steaming entrails with a sharp sword after composing his apologetic death poem.
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:23 pm

I got dibbs on that Pioneer PL-L800 linear tracker... I think it deserves a better fate than to sit up there with another table sitting on top of it with no protection. Also interested in the silver faced piece sitting on the next shelf down, directly below it.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

Glenlivet

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:25 pm

The Pl-L1000A was a big disappointment. It would be better respected and cared for if it were a good unit. It probably was when I bought it through eBay. There's a reason that turntables are shipped with the platter separate. This guy shipped it as is, platter on the spindle and during typical postal handling it must have sustained a lateral impact and the very heavy (on this model) platter managed to bend the axle post on its mount, which also incorporates the circuit board and damaged that. Then it came loose and bashed around the tone arm and such what. It's not repairable.
The seller took no responsibility upon himself for the damage, and that was in earlier days of eBay when there was less onus on a seller to uphold his end, he had his money and it was hardly worth the effort to dispute. (I did carry a dispute to its end once over a poorly packed CD recorder/player and was repaid minus 'deductible'. The whole process took months involving dozens of emails and documentation)
If you want I'd be happy to send it to you for parts, for just the postage and a beer. I'll throw in the operators manual.

I think what you're looking at below it is an early 70's Pioneer SF-850 electronic crossover. It not only has steps for separating stereo RCA jack inputs into three ranges of two channels each but the cutoff slopes are adjustable by 6-12-or 18 DB/octave! It's a rare bird and I think I'll keep it for the retirement package. :)
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:00 pm

PM sent on the PL-L1000
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]

Return to Misc. Discussions