FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:35 pm

Rollands Refurbs

<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:11 pm

Rollands Refurbs

So, i had a amp that i had rolland refurb for me a few years ago. At the time, i picked him because he said he would replace the major capacitors in the amp where rita only did if they were defective. So i opted for rolland. He replaced the six main power supply caps, also a few others. The amp has more than forty caps. He only did the ones he said that needed it. Well, today i am told on a 300 x2 that he says he swaps all the caps out. If this is the way he defines full refurb, i was short changed. Keep in mind, that he repaired the amp as well, but he said and i quote, the full refurb of the caps will take the amp to a point that the repair will be thoughrough. So, i ask you, when you have a rolland refurb, do / does the amp have all the electrolytics replaced by rolland? He has a back log and is good, i simply feel a little business man in action here oiling up a refurb on a amp . The 300 i have that bill serviced, he replaced all powersupply caps and a few more critical caps in the audio path. When i spoke to bill and rolland about the big cap in a 300, i was told they get replaced if faulty , as they are quite costly. But up to the customer for an addition charge not under ther refurb. What say you......
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Re: Rollands Refurbs

so, this is the deal. I am sorry that I simply did not ask Rolland. anyway the refurbs he does now is more thorough . in the pursuit not to ever be under sold, he does complete recap of the trackdown power supply. he also swaps out some caps in the audio path. this was in response to ritas later addition of replacing caps in their repairs. the comment of being short changed was in anger. Rolland as a matter of fact not only repaired and recapped the six big caps in my tfm55 as well as a lot of the other caps. he also with no advance warning or cost, sanded and repainted the top cover that was all scratched up. total bonus, that speaks about the attention to detail provided. Rolland always has and still is one of the few folks that does great work every time. so if someone now sends a tfm55, it get a even more thorough refresh as Rolland says his experience grows each unit and year he does this service. so sorry if anyone is led to believe that he is not what we all know him to be. honest and upfront with a professionalism not that often seen.

again, I am curious to hear all the experiences that anyone would care to share on the subject of Rolland refurbs. this is not a page to bash, and I am sorry if that's what I sounded like I was doing. I look for nothing more than what happened. I do not think I have ever heard any negative comments on the man, the legend. cheers
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:15 pm

I will have to find my paperwork from rolland on my tfm 42 he did, will let u know
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & CF Linestage, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 amazing speakers in natural oak & Douglas connection cables
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:52 pm

My experience with Rolland can be stated in two words "The Best".

He was the best I've ever delt with.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:28 pm

frankieD wrote:My experience with Rolland can be stated in two words "The Best".

He was the best I've ever delt with.

DEALT with Frankie....YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:01 am

I've not had any work DONE, but I called & talked with him a couple of years ago about doing a complete refurb on my 400x7 & he spent a good 30 minutes on the phone explaining what all he'd do, about how much it would cost, & how long it would take. VERY helpful even if you've never done business with him!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:53 am

frankieD wrote:My experience with Rolland can be stated in two words "The Best".

He was the best I've ever dealt with.

Couldn't agree more with Frankie. Rolland re-did a 45 for me I gave Matt as a Christmas present a few years back.

Within the last 6 months, he totally re-did from top to bottom a pristine TFM 75 I bought new. Kept me updated along the way. Great communication. Upon return, it now sounds better than I remember it sounding new. It has a much more detailed sound. Rolland upgraded several items over factory, too numerous to list, without pulling invoice. Wasn't cheap, but quality work and upgraded parts never are. Since 75 is such a unique breed, I decided to pull the trigger on a complete restoration. Never intend to sell and leave to Matt anyway.

In addition, I have spoke with him several times over the phone troubleshooting issues. Bottom line, I cannot see me going anywhere else based on my past experience. Just wished he lived in my backyard to avoid those hefty shipping charges.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

kingman

Post Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Never intend to sell and leave to Matt anyway.
I thought I had a shot?????? :rolleyes: ](*,) :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:25 pm

kingman wrote:
Never intend to sell and leave to Matt anyway.
I thought I had a shot?????? :rolleyes: ](*,) :lol:

I have been watching your purchases on E-bay and the Gon for some time now. You, my friend, are out of room! :shock: :rolleyes: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.

Return to Misc. Discussions