FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:48 am

Optical Cable Splitter?

<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Optical Cable Splitter?

Anyone know where I can get one of these: "2 sources into one input optical cable splitter"? Cannot be a manual switch....must be able to work when one of the two sources being "Y'd" together still emits light even though no signal is being transmitted:

" Bought another Sony CD changer 'cause I want to try that "continuos play fade-out/fade-in" thing where you hook two of these changers (400 disk and 300 disk in my case) together for seamless, uninterrupted play (one player always has a CD cued up and ready to play as soon as the other player's CD cut has finished...so no ~20-30 second delay as you wait for the changer to move to the next (random) CD and cut) and have one the "master" controller and one the "slave". However, the fly in this ointment is that you can only do this (apparently) with the RCA cable in's and out's which would preclude using an external DAC 'cause it needs the digital out (optical cable in my case) from the changers (which is 100% unacceptable and defeats the whole concept of using a high end external DAC with these changers and thus enjoying much better sound than what the dirt cheap DAC's in these changers produce).
I thought of a way around this if I could split the optical input to my DAC into two and thus hook up the optical digital outs from BOTH changers (since only one would be "active" at one time) into the one optical digital input to the DAC. Does such an animal exist, i.e., an optical cable splitter? And even though my DAC has USB and co-ax digital inputs, the Sony changers only have optical digital outs...Thanks, Ed"
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Optical Cable Splitter?

I have never seen anything like that.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:50 pm

Could try one other thing to make this work; any electronic wizzes here know if this would work?: Since the CD changers only have optical digital outs, and the DAC I have only has one optical input (I need two), but has a coax digital input (and a USB digital input), would it be possible to go into the changer and find where the signal is that feeds the optical light (lazer?) and tap off that signal and hook it up to a coaxial cable digital output port? i.e., would this electrical signal of on's and off's be the same as what a digital coax signal would have? If so, I could interface one of the two CD changers with optical output to the optical input of the DAC, and interface the other changer using this added coax digital output into the DAC's coax input. This works since the DAC automatically switches to whichever of the three digital inputs that has a signal... Anyone know enough about this to venture a guess? I could just try it, but would like to know if it's even at all feasible...

Or maybe someone makes a digital optical cable to digital coax cable converter? That would work too...

add: yep, they DO make a Toslink to coax converter: ordered one; that might be what I'm looking for!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:16 pm

I was looking at this owners manual and you may not be able to hook the player to the amp or toslink adaptor using the digital out. (see page 8 & 9) They say "Notes
• Do not connect any player other than the one used as the second player to the 2ND CD IN jacks of this player.
• When connecting a second CD player, do not connect the DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) connector of this player to the amplifier."

From what I gather from the manual, to use this feature you have to hook the two players together using analog, and then analog audio out to the amp. You may be stuck using the DAC's in the Sony players if you want to do that "continuos play fade-out/fade-in" thing.
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:56 pm

Yeah, Doug, I'm hoping that when they say "don't hook up 2nd changer's digital output to the amp" that they simply mean that it would mess up the signal from the 1st changer (i.e., you'd have a "null" optical signal on top of the one active signal from the 1st player). But if I hook them up to separate digital inputs of my PS Audio DAC (one to the optical input and one to the coax input that the 2nd changer's Toslink output has been converted to), then this should not be a problem because it will only "recognize" the one input that is active (says right in the manual that you can have multiple digital sources hooked up to the inputs and it will automatically switch to the one that has a signal and ignore the other two). Also, not sure what they mean when they talk about hooking up a digital signal to an amp...I don't have a digital amp. :?

So I'll give it a shot; I have a process all laid out to do this with minimal trouble: move 1/2 of each group of my current CD's from current changer to the "new" 400 disk changer (in order to have this "fade-out/fade-in" feature for each group you need to do it this way). Then try coupling the two using the A1 control cable, two digital outs, etc. If it works, fine. If not, then I'll just move all of the remaining CD's from my current 300 disk changer to the new 400 disk changer and just hook it's optical digital out to my one DAC optical input and be done with it (and at least not have the "dead band" issue any longer that the 300 disk changer has....which prevents me from playing ALL groups at once on random play 'cause this means it has to search over this "dead band" and that hangs it up...). Also, if it does work, I'll also move all of the CD's in this changer past the dead band (which is around slot 68-69) but still have 230 slots in changer 1 and 400 slots in changer 2...
Probably won't do the two DAC thing and then RCA "Y" combine the two analog outputs of these DAC's into one input to the preamp. Too messy....
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:04 am

I see what you are saying there. Hopefully it will work for you like that. Keeping fingers crossed. I'm guessing when they say "amp" they really mean a pre-amp or receiver.
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:53 am

Yeah, and they also must mean after the digital signal has been processed thru a DAC....since I don't know of any preamps that accept a digital input either... :-k

Once all the components arrive (new changer and the Toslink to coax converter and the A1 control cable), I'll see if it works or not. Would be cool if it does since Sony says you can't do it (use the digital outs when connecting two changers together like this). (Dumb) Question: is a digital coax cable different from a standard RCA cable? Guess I need to make a trip to Fry's and get one (a digital coax cable).
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:01 am

You can not split a light signal- the signal gets diffracted (distorted). You can mirror, capture and duplicate it, but I have never seen it done in audio.
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:07 pm

The makers of these "1 into 2" splitters claim that they WILL work in reverse (i.e., switch 2 optical outputs into one input), Chauss, as long as only one of the two output signals is "lit" at one time....

However, this was a total bust (for reasons unrelated to optical splitters...):

I could not even get the two changers (DX450 = "master", CX355 = "slave") to talk to each other even using just the analog outputs. RatShack sold me a 1/8" (3.5mm) monaural cable that they said was what Sony was specifing for the "Control A1" cable that hooks two players together. The Sony description of this cable is "monaural (2P) mini-plug cord". No one seems to know what the "2P" is referring to. When I hit the MegaControl button on the Master player, it's supposed to light up and also display "2nd player" on the display screen but all it says is "no connect". So I'm punting (at least for now) on the whole "fade-out/fade-in" dual player thing. Logistically it's kind of a pain anyway as you have to set up the same groups on each player and split the number of CD's in each group equally in half and install them in each player. Too bad I've spent like $60 on the necessary cables (1 Toslink, 1 digital audio coax, and 1 "monaural mini-plug cord") and converter (Toslink to coax) to try this and make it all work with digital output of both players into one DAC....fuck me and most especially fuck Sony and all their cryptic instructions on how to do this (their translation of Jap directions into English is per usual not so good..). If anyone has ever successfully done this, please post where I might be missing something...Thanks!

In the meantime, I've moved all my CD's into this new changer (and of course digitally linked it to my PS Audio DAC) and now at least have ~100 more slots (400 vs. the 300 of the old player) available to expand my CD collection into and can now at least random play ALL eight groups because the "dead band" issue I was having with the CX355 is gone...

Return to Misc. Discussions