FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:12 am

Turn Table cables...?

<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:08 am

Re: Turn Table cables...?

You are correct as usual Gary- the recording itself makes all the difference! =D>
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:35 am

Yo George, I may be a suckup but at least I am not a brown noser . Know wonder you are so eager to play cornhole you keep trying to use the wrong appendage. How do you like them apples? Oh yea and before I forget SHUT THE FUCK UP! :lol:
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:38 am

Good thing you don't have any cheese curds left George or you would have spewed them with that one.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:51 pm

Man,, I miss you guys!!!
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:26 pm

TNRabbit wrote:I've extensively compared CD originals to CDs made FROM AN LP, and I can tell you that something wrong is happening on the digital side. I don't know WHAT, but it is. A CD recorded from an LP sounds JUST LIKE the LP, soundstage/imaging & all (clocks, pops, etc.).

So the magic isn't in the table, it's a fuckup somewhere by the recording engineers.

Gary, I couldn't have said it better !!

I've had the same experience .
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Franky- living on the left coast - you have probably forgotten over half of your experiences..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:04 pm

frankieD wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:I've extensively compared CD originals to CDs made FROM AN LP, and I can tell you that something wrong is happening on the digital side. I don't know WHAT, but it is. A CD recorded from an LP sounds JUST LIKE the LP, soundstage/imaging & all (clocks, pops, etc.).

So the magic isn't in the table, it's a fuckup somewhere by the recording engineers.

Gary, I couldn't have said it better !!

I've had the same experience .

I've noticed the same thing. I wonder if they took master tapes from sessions that didn't make the grade as the originals have worn from use and brought them to market OR used them without the RIAA equalization and burnt that to CD. Some of my first gen CDs sure sound awful enough.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Shure V15 type IIIG cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:05 am

My only problem with this theory is the CD player would have to sonically match the turntable during playback. We all know how much components can sound different. Just my view. Also what if both record and CD are exceptional? Then it falls on the playback gear.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

MRHP

TFM-55

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:21 pm

He is a couple pics with the bottom lid off my Denon TT.
DSC03875.JPG
RCA cables and ground wire
DSC03875.JPG (61.13 KiB) Viewed 166 times

DSC03876.JPG
same items different view
DSC03876.JPG (59.54 KiB) Viewed 166 times

DSC03877.JPG
power wire
DSC03877.JPG (59.62 KiB) Viewed 166 times

DSC03878.JPG
overall shot
DSC03878.JPG (61.17 KiB) Viewed 166 times
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Lightstar serial #0008
Lightstar serial #0008
Carver Black Magic 20/pair
300x2
SD/A 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TT
ProJect TT Tube preamp
Technics RS-1500US Reel to Reel
DQ-6c's
DQ-20's
JL Audio 12W7's
After showing SNOOP65 a set of outrageously expensive tubes on ebay he says:
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!!
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:59 pm

Snoop65 wrote:

My only problem with this theory is the CD player would have to sonically match the turntable during playback. We all know how much components can sound different. Just my view. Also what if both record and CD are exceptional? Then it falls on the playback gear.

This coming year maybe we should see how good CD really is, or how good our ears are. My Tascam is an excellent CD recorder. It has a set of inputs that run direct from the TT into the Tascam. My CC-222 mkII has built in RIAA equalization that will dial out any phono pre then we can play them back on any system that has both LP and CD. Anders claims excellent results recording LP to CD. There is a thread on the VHFofP forum about this very thing. Out in the world they call it a 'Needle Drop'. Steve says he has the software to remove the pops and crackles from the files. They're having a competition between the 'BearJew' and someone called Sir-Thrift-Alot.

So I don't appear to be hijacking your thread Eric, I'll say something obhifi. My new to me Ariston RD-40 has a Linn tonearm that some kind soul wired with Cardas Silver wires and a Cardas wiring block and harness. Very nice combination with the Shure cart. On really good records is sounds phenomenal. The REALLY high-end phono stages have selectors to allow you to load the cart properly. Fosgate, Ray Samuels, Graham Slee, MBL all have exceptional phono stages and have this provision. find out how your cart is to be loaded and go from there.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Shure V15 type IIIG cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

<<

MRHP

TFM-55

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:30 am

I dont mind a little thread hi-jacking. End of day-its all about everybody learning something. I think there are ALOT of non posters out there that read this forum daily. I ask alot of questions for myself and those guys who dont want to post, hopefully they can learn something from some of my dumb questions... :lol:

All phono is fun and interesting when it comes to setup and operation.....and like boy said a couple year back "hey Dad how do you "fast forward".... :lol: :lol:
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Lightstar serial #0008
Lightstar serial #0008
Carver Black Magic 20/pair
300x2
SD/A 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TT
ProJect TT Tube preamp
Technics RS-1500US Reel to Reel
DQ-6c's
DQ-20's
JL Audio 12W7's
After showing SNOOP65 a set of outrageously expensive tubes on ebay he says:
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!!
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:54 pm

IMHO-
CD playback is all about the DAC nowadays.....the transports have probably gotten as good as they will get for a while as I have seen nothing really new in quite a while there.
Laser optics can not get any faster than the speed of light. I have some "Best of Albums" that have both digital and analog tracks, you can tell the difference simply by the gain. But you CAN hear the click,pops, etc same as listening to an LP. Granted- the recording engineer that laid it down was probably a digital guy and not an analog guy so the LP tracks are not quite the quality of listening to the original LP on a good quality table. To me the alure of it is in how the music (sound) is created on an LP that adds the more "lifelike" or "natural" quality to the music- After all, everything on the recording was created by vibrations in a sense. So, why not recreate it the same way? 8)
Last edited by Chauss on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:02 pm

My experience is the same as Gary's (Rabbit). That is using the analog inputs to a HK CD recorder with vinyl as a source, the resulting CD will sound exactly like the record, Exactly like Vinyl (if the source was vinyl).

That in turn agrees with my understanding of digital encoding. When the sample rate is high enough the output signal will be (for all practical purposes) exactly like the input signal.

Of course a crappy DAC will be a problem but I think most of the high end units use a good DAC.

just my .02
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Magnaryder wrote:
Snoop65 wrote:

This coming year maybe we should see how good CD really is, or how good our ears are. My Tascam is an excellent CD recorder. It has a set of inputs that run direct from the TT into the Tascam. My CC-222 mkII has built in RIAA equalization that will dial out any phono pre then we can play them back on any system that has both LP and CD. Anders claims excellent results recording LP to CD. There is a thread on the VHFofP forum about this very thing. Out in the world they call it a 'Needle Drop'. Steve says he has the software to remove the pops and crackles from the files. They're having a competition between the 'BearJew' and someone called Sir-Thrift-Alot.

So I don't appear to be hijacking your thread Eric, I'll say something obhifi. My new to me Ariston RD-40 has a Linn tonearm that some kind soul wired with Cardas Silver wires and a Cardas wiring block and harness. Very nice combination with the Shure cart. On really good records is sounds phenomenal. The REALLY high-end phono stages have selectors to allow you to load the cart properly. Fosgate, Ray Samuels, Graham Slee, MBL all have exceptional phono stages and have this provision. find out how your cart is to be loaded and go from there.

ray

I have been burning my own cd's from records for years to play in the car and transfer to my pc but never thought to listen to them against the records. I will do this over the weekend. I have a Alesis ML-9600 disk recorder which does 4 sample rates (44.1,48,88.2 and 96) will do Redbook or CD24 and has a built in hard drive. This will be fun! I will do recordings at each sample rate and report back with my thoughts. Also not ALL records have pops and crackles, I have a lot that are dead quite and with todays cartridges and stylus groove noise is minmal or nonexistent.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:14 pm

Snoop65 says<<I have been burning my own cd's from records for years to play in the car and transfer to my pc but never thought to listen to them against the records. I will do this over the weekend. I have a Alesis ML-9600 disk recorder which does 4 sample rates (44.1,48,88.2 and 96) will do Redbook or CD24 and has a built in hard drive. This will be fun! I will do recordings at each sample rate and report back with my thoughts. Also not ALL records have pops and crackles, I have a lot that are dead quite and with todays cartridges and stylus groove noise is minmal or nonexistent.>>

Good on ya Snoop! Here's a guy willing to step up to the plate on this. If I can get a free moment I might give it a whirl too.

ray
Magnaryder

PreviousNext

Return to Misc. Discussions