It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:10 am

Turn Table cables...?

<<

MRHP

TFM-55

Post Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: Turn Table cables...?

Snoop65 wrote:
MRHP wrote:Thanks for all the info opinions and tips. Im also looking for a good platter mat....any suggestions? Mne works fine but looks ugly, also Im wanting to get one thats thin to correct tone arm geometry.

I'm using the stock felt mat. What kind of mat do you have now? I recommend trying a record clamp. I use a J A Mitchell, inexpensive and effective.

Im using the factory Denon mat that came with the table. Its rubber and looks a little discolor'd and really thick like maybe .200.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Lightstar serial #0008
Lightstar serial #0008
Carver Black Magic 20/pair
300x2
SD/A 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TT
ProJect TT Tube preamp
Technics RS-1500US Reel to Reel
DQ-6c's
DQ-20's
JL Audio 12W7's
After showing SNOOP65 a set of outrageously expensive tubes on ebay he says:
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!!
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:04 pm

Still using my factory mat....clean it next time you clean some records! \:D/ :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:50 pm

I had the pleasure of listing to the ver 1, at The Montreal audio show outstanding performance.
But you still need a great arm like the 5K+ Graham Phantom II Supreme & Cart.

The manufacture is located in Toronto Canada, and he is the guy I purchase my centre weight & outer ring from.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:05 pm

Way out of my league Brian....I bet it sounds great given the density of the platter!
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Chauss wrote:Way out of my league Brian....I bet it sounds great given the density of the platter!

Dan

It's out of my league as well

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:50 pm

Turntables are fun as they play records.
Does chass own one?

They play records, that is all they do. They don't make Stan Getz sound better than live or CD. Maybe they do, but in what system?

For now look past that for this post.

Records are fun. It is fun no other audio matches.
I love records.

I have a good Pioneer record player with a decent cart.
I have an extreme Rega that I have upraded everything on --> a hot rod.

I have the phono amp speakerlabfan likes - $1K. Actually I have his TT, just with many upgrades as that is the hobby ](*,) .

I have good amps and good speakers. Does anyone here have better than mine - ->

YES!!
Everyone does.
Sound is personal and all old audio nuts zero in on what they like.
For most people, the difference in my Pioneer TT and my Rega TT can not be detected beyond a guess. It would be a guessing game for most members here.

Anyone up for a blind test is welcome, I provide the beer and all the vintage Scotch you can drink. We could even go out for a wall mount Bass fishing trip that guides demand $500 for. I like company and have 15 years experience on the lake and a lot more in audio.
Bring your ears here.

I am not saying there is not a difference. The difference is extreme. For most it will be 50/50 as to what they prefer. That is the gorilla in the room. We like different from our crap.

What I am saying is don't waste $$ on the reputation of carts and etc.

A solid TT with a solid cart (can be had under $100) will blow away any CD player on the same system.
Visit - I can prove that..
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:04 am

No table OhOh......I just Google everything! :D
I started listening to music just when the iPod was brought out. :rolleyes: Hi-Fi- Delity baby!!! \:D/
Love you too buddy! :-#

My post with the 30K table was meant to be sarcasm in case you did not catch that Bill- and-
Tube sound is not "snake oil" either- some like it as it can be more relaxing, more enveloping, more seductive -more of a 3D soundscape than you can get with solid state amplification. Why does a tube amp seem to play speakers louder Watt for Watt vs a Solid State amp? This is what I have seen anyway, but I do wear glasses, sometimes rose colored. Play whatever makes YOU happy! It's all good-

Peace Out Bill, maybe one day we can converse again in a civil manner like adults? Or not- your call. You seem to hold a grudge for quite a while....and seem to be hellbent with whatever feud we have going in your mind. Oh yeah- YOU keep leaving the U out of my name- i guess that is another little "clever" slip on your part- right? Get over it already- OK?

To the OP- sorry Eric, back on topic.
Kingman has said it best- "It only matters what it sounds like to YOU" - If you spend 20 gazillion dollars or 200 dollars on your system, the only real question is- are you satisfied? THAT is all that really matters. I have reached the point with my system that I am. At least for now...... 8)
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:25 am

Chass, I cant spell either so I just call you Dan the man :rolleyes:
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:27 pm

suckup
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:48 pm

No problem Hairy! #-o
<<

MRHP

TFM-55

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Chauss wrote:Tube sound is not "snake oil" either- some like it as it can be more relaxing, more enveloping, more seductive -more of a 3D soundscape than you can get with solid state amplification. Why does a tube amp seem to play speakers louder Watt for Watt vs a Solid State amp?

I did notice the little 20wpc tube amp putting out alot of sound for its size compared to my big solid state amps. :-k :-k
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Lightstar serial #0008
Lightstar serial #0008
Carver Black Magic 20/pair
300x2
SD/A 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TT
ProJect TT Tube preamp
Technics RS-1500US Reel to Reel
DQ-6c's
DQ-20's
JL Audio 12W7's
After showing SNOOP65 a set of outrageously expensive tubes on ebay he says:
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!!
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:06 pm

I did notice the little 20wpc tube amp putting out alot of sound for its size compared to my big solid state amps. :-k :-k

Bob watts..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

radioeng2

TFM-75

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:32 am

Bob did say one time at CF with a big smile...."Bob's the name, Watts is my game!"

Very low brow looking tables can make quite good music. I've got friends that have been spinning ordinary looking tables for decades. And they do make very, very enjoyable music thru some very highly modded and excellent equipment.

But when you get into better and better TT, the music just flows better and better. More music, less reproduction of music. And man oh man, the groove noise gets less and less and you just find the performers oh so much more right in front of you. And what fun that is.

While dabbling with the digital, it sure is fun to do that comparison back to vinyl and think that while the bits keep getting better sounding, the tables have already been doing it for oh so long, oh so well!!

Mark
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:46 am

I've extensively compared CD originals to CDs made FROM AN LP, and I can tell you that something wrong is happening on the digital side. I don't know WHAT, but it is. A CD recorded from an LP sounds JUST LIKE the LP, soundstage/imaging & all (clocks, pops, etc.).

So the magic isn't in the table, it's a fuckup somewhere by the recording engineers.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
PreviousNext

Return to Misc. Discussions