FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:05 am

These guys are NUTZ!!!

<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:18 pm

These guys are NUTZ!!!

Check out the video of tower climbers. I get dizzy just watching it!!! The first part explains how high these towers are and is a cartoon, just bear with it-
http://edge.liveleak.com/80281E/u/u/ll2_player_files/mp55/player.swf?config=http://www.liveleak.com/player?a=config%26item_token=07b_1284580365%26embed=1%26extra_params=
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:36 am

Re: These guys are NUTZ!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:23 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Those guys have bigger balls than I do, that's for sure!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:12 pm

I wonder what kind of money those guys make? Cause you could not pay me enough.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:53 pm

I agree with Harry....but...there are people that deal with heights every day in their jobs...just not me!!! :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:25 pm

I was getting dizzy just watching. Ain't no money enough. Hell, I am like a cat - I can climb but I can't get down. No fear of heights, just a fear of falling. I can't stand on a chair and get down, I would do no good past the elevator ride on this thing.
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:46 am

This video made the rounds maybe a year ago or so. It was initially posted and then pulled down due to fear over big brother seeing violations. But it'd been saved by some, and so it reappeared. Since has been slicked up a bit with the graphics.

But I have such great respect for these guys..all the tower guys at any height. I get sweaty palms just watching knowing how real it is. The thing is, that was a nice day. They do this in all kinds of weather.

I've had a burn down before where the guy was chipping ice away as he went up. For hundreds and hundreds of feet, chipping as he went. When he'd come down, he'd have long ice hanging from his beard. It was around zero on the ground during that and believe me, it is so different wind wise as you go up! We worked for days and days in those conditions lowering pieces and cleaning them and sending them back up. Now consider they do work like this and basically never drop a single wrench or bolt...even in extreme cold.

Some times it's calm and you can talk up and down great lengths. Hundreds of feet. One time recently a guy was up about 80 feet up and a couple of us were chatting quietly on the ground. He said he could hear us. So we lowered our voice to not much above a whisper and he reported to us from the tower exactly what we said. Ground was reflecting some I suppose.

But most of the time, it can be calm on the ground and you can't communicate verbally back and forth at all (even 40-50 feet) due to the winds and how noisy they are going thru the tower up higher. Reliable communications almost always relys on radios.

They do get paid pretty well. But as far as I'm concerned, it's not enough. It's very physical. Extremely so. Steps, as they exist, are not normal height in many cases. Often they don't exist at all for portions of what they're doing.

I've done just a little, just what was absolutely necessary. You'd be amazed at how small the stuff on the ground gets and how fast as you go up. I did a small job just a few days back at about 60 feet. Took about an hour maybe. I was winded and arms and feet tired when I got done.

Think about clipping on a round tower member with a single locking clip. Now you lean back, your life counting on that clipped on connection and your belt. Now it slips over a little as you shift your weight... Now get out tools and start working. Bolts that bind up and you must physically snap them off sometimes. Tape wrapped around you have to fight off. Hours of hanging in one place sometimes with most your weight on a single uneven bar of small diameter under your feet, all while dragging along whatever you need to work with as extra weight.

Nope...these guys are all a little bit of a different breed. Tough as hell and a bit nuts to boot.

Mark

PS...oh, when they say elevator, it not what you know as an elevator at all! It's something to stand on as you get hoisted. No sides sometimes or maybe a little in some. A single stranded steel cable going all the way to the top of its height and back down to a motorized spool. Not uncommon for them to get stuck resulting in physically climbing down with whatever tools you have with you.

Return to Misc. Discussions